Windows 10: Some installed apps don't show in search for Win10

Discus and support Some installed apps don't show in search for Win10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I re-installed Windows about 2 weeks ago and have been having this issue since then. Some apps show up when I search for them in the win10 start menu.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by envious, Jan 23, 2017.

1. envious Win User

Some installed apps don't show in search for Win10

I re-installed Windows about 2 weeks ago and have been having this issue since then. Some apps show up when I search for them in the win10 start menu. Some apps don't. I have Program Files and Program Files (x86) selected under Indexing Options from Control Panel. Index is fully completed.

Examples of apps that don't show up:
    - Virtualbox
    - Plex
    - League of Legends
    - Battle.net launcher
    - Overwatch
    - Origin

Apps that do show up:
    - Chrome
    - Steam
    - Malwarebytes
    - 7zip

I tried re-indexing last night. It did not solve the problem.

Does anyone have a solution?

:)

envious, Jan 23, 2017
  2. AggSerp Win User

Installed store apps don't show up in search

No, I do not receive an error, it just doesn't appear. In my Windows 10 PC they appear immediately, here I have to restart every time I get a new app and sometimes reinstall the app in order for it to show up.

It's not difficult to solve though.

Thanks for your answer!

AggSerp, Jan 23, 2017
  3. AggSerp Win User
    Installed store apps don't show up in search

I'm having a weird problem. When I download apps from the store and then search for them, they don't show up! Instead, it links me to the store page of that app, and I can start it from there, but this means I can't pin it to start/taskbar. I heard this
    could be caused because of user profile corruption, but I created a new user and had the same problem.

My device is a Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B.

Any help would be much appreciated.

AggSerp, Jan 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I can't give you an immediate solution.
    Do the programs you can't find by searching actually appear when you view the start menu?
    Are their shortcuts present in
    C:\Users\<your user id>\AppData\Roaming
    or
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    ?

Is there a difference if you install a program just for you as the user, compared with for all users?

See e.g. these threads for ideas:
    &quot;All Apps&quot; Doesn't Show All Apps Installed
    installed program not showing in start menu
    Start menu search not finding applications?

dalchina, Jan 23, 2017
  5. envious Win User
    Some programs in AppData\Roaming do not show up in the search menu. For example, Discord, is in Roaming, but does not show up when I search for it. Many apps that I have installed are also not in Roaming.

Same goes for \Start Menu. Lots of apps listed, some show up in search, some do not.

All applications were installed on my main account. The second account was not created until very recently. I'll look through the threads you listed now.

envious, Jan 25, 2017
  6. RobertJay Win User
    The following solution has worked for me. Actually it' s the only one that did the magic.

Just completely delete the following Cortana directory and let Windows rebuild it:
    C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

To do so:
    1. Start Windows in "Troubleshoot" mode, "Advanced Options" and choose "Command Prompt"

At the prompt type:
    2. rd C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy /s
    It will remove the directory including subdirs.

I suggest you prepare a cmd file with this line in it, after replacing [Your User Name] by... well, your user name*Smile

3. Restart Windows.

On restart, Windows will take some time to boot as it will recreate, reset and repair all the search mechanism. This will also purge annoying leftovers i.e. ghost-links of long time uninstalled programs.

Enjoy!
    Bob

RobertJay, Jul 18, 2017
  7. j0bb13 Win User
    Well Bob. I tried reinstalling Cortana and some other things to no avail, but this actually worked. Thanks *Smile

j0bb13, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Some installed apps don't show in search for Win10 - Similar Threads - installed apps don't

2. search bar not showing some apps/files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search bar not showing some apps/files: today i make clear windows reinstall but all my data on disk don't uninstall but after that reinstall that when i want to find something thanks to windows search tool it can´t show me my disk like thins what i have there only was what i know how to fix it is reinstall these...
  3. search bar not showing some apps/files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search bar not showing some apps/files: today i make clear windows reinstall but all my data on disk don't uninstall but after that reinstall that when i want to find something thanks to windows search tool it can´t show me my disk like thins what i have there only was what i know how to fix it is reinstall these...
  4. Search is not showing some things

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search is not showing some things: I noticed today that when I search on windows 10 for example, Better Discord or Ds4 it used to show up with the app and I could open it and run it, but now even though they are both still on my system they don't show up when I search and only show web results instead....
  5. Windows 11 search not showing some apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 search not showing some apps: I ugraded from windows 10 to windows 11 two days ago and now I am facing a problem that whenever I search for some apps like word, excel etc they don't appear there, to solve this problem I pasted shortcuts of some apps in this location -...
  6. Windows 11 search not showing some apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 search not showing some apps: I ugraded from windows 10 to windows 11 two days ago and now I am facing a problem that whenever I search for some apps like word, excel etc they don't appear there, to solve this problem I pasted shortcuts of some apps in this location -...
  7. Some apps don't show up in start menu search results

in Cortana
    Some apps don't show up in start menu search results: Hi there experts, For a few weeks now I have been having a problem where some applications -- but not all -- just don't show up when I type into the start menu search. For example, I might launch Firefox by just typing "fir", at which point Firefox becomes the Best Match,...
  8. when i am using the search some icons don't showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    when i am using the search some icons don't showing: [ATTACH] I've had quite a few problems lately and I fixed most of them but one of the ones I could not fix is this problem when I search for something from the search some of the icons do not look like they should look I tried a lot of things and could not solve the problem...
  9. Some (not all) mp4 thumbnails don't show on Win10 since yesterday

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some (not all) mp4 thumbnails don't show on Win10 since yesterday: [ATTACH] As title, since yesterday. Don't know what caused this, if the restore point or the Windows 1909 Update I made immediately after. I tried deleting icon cache, refreshing, restarting, sfc /scannow, cheking/uncheking that folder option that "shows only icons and...
  10. Some internet processes don't work on fresh win10 install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some internet processes don't work on fresh win10 install: I just got a new laptop and I proceeded to freshly install windows 10 on it because I don't want all the bloatwear that manufacturers include. I completed the windows install. Logged into the system and went straight to updates. I proceeded to install all of the available...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 apps dont show in search