Windows 10: Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu

Discus and support Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The following will no longer open from right-clicking on the Start Menu button: Task Manager Event Viewer Device manager Disk Manager Computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by wihe2, Sep 18, 2019.

1. wihe2 Win User

Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu

The following will no longer open from right-clicking on the Start Menu button:

Task Manager

Event Viewer

Device manager

Disk Manager

Computer Manager

Command Prompt

Command Prompt Admin

File Explorer

All others will open.

Also some desktop icon will only open by double-clicking but will not open by right-clicking and selecting "Open".

I have tried the following from the command admin prompt opened through task manager selected from CTRL/ALT DEL:

SFC /Scannow - no issues found

DISM restore health - no issues found

Reinstalled Windows 10 from ISO file with all current updates

Deleted and reinstalled some programs

Booted from safe mode (problem remains)

System info:

Windows 10 Ver 1903

OS build: 18362.356

64 bit, x64 based processor

i7-4790k cpu

32 gb ram

:)

wihe2, Sep 18, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

3. Right clicking on Start Button and clicking the following items fail to activate Eg. Progarms and Features.

Hi Zedqed,

I regret the inconvenience you’re facing regarding Windows 10.

Before I assist you, I would like to know the information below.

• Have you activated Windows after installing Windows 10?
    • When you say ''Right clicking Start Button and clicking the following items fail to activate the items'' are you not able to open the programs and what exactly do you refer to activate?
    • Have you installed all the Windows 10 pending updates?
    • Which Windows 10 build is installed on the PC?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to fix the issue.

Method 1: Install all the Windows 10 pending updates.

Check for the pending updates and install the same.

I suggest you to update your system to the latest Windows 10 build and also check if for the pending updates in resolving the issue.

• In search type Check for updates and hit enter.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Windows will check for the pending updates and automatically install them.

Method 2: Also try the steps provide in below link for Start menu issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Hope this helps, revert back to us with Start menu issue, we would assist you for sure.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Sep 18, 2019
  4. Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu

Start Menu item - Right-Click>Properties>Shortcut key

In Window 7 and earlier versions, one could right-click an item in the start menu, select properties and access the shortcut tab. Therein lay the Short key field, which I used a lot for creating custom key combinations, eg CTL+ALT+N for Notepad++ or CTL+ALT+P for Paint.NET.

In Windows 10, the start menu seems to treat all items as Apps and right-click brings up a minimal menu, which doesn't include properties.

Ideas/suggestions please for creating customer key-combo shortcuts to programs or getting back the functionality of Windows 7 start menu Right-Click>Properties>Shortcut key.

LooseCannon, Sep 18, 2019
Thema:

Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu

1. Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu - Similar Threads - items open right

2. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  3. Right click menu is missing some menu items after Ccleaner run

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right click menu is missing some menu items after Ccleaner run: The right click menu is missing some menu items after Ccleaner run. I first noticed this when I wanted to reload a Tab, only the Translate option was visible. I googled the problem and discovered that I could change settings inButtons in Additional Mouse Settings from L/H...
  4. Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item: After the latest feature update to my Win 10, if I right click on any desktop icon and try and open the app with the Open command, there is no response. I can still open the app with a double mouse click. Some setting seems to have changed with the upgrade?...
  5. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  6. Right click on Start menu item, item disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click on Start menu item, item disappears: A reinstall of Insider Preview. If I click on "Start", scroll to a program, Outlook, for example, when I right click the Start menu disappears.Happens with any Program, App, that I click on. There's sort of a 1 second delay before its gone. Ran an sfc /scannow and found...
  7. Start Menu item - Right-Click>Properties>Shortcut key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu item - Right-Click>Properties>Shortcut key: In Window 7 and earlier versions, one could right-click an item in the start menu, select properties and access the shortcut tab. Therein lay the Short key field, which I used a lot for creating custom key combinations, eg CTL+ALT+N for Notepad++ or CTL+ALT+P for Paint.NET....
  8. Right Click start menu items do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click start menu items do not work: I updated to windows 10 last week and everything worked. Now if I right click on the start menu, the context menu items other than Run, shut down, search or desktop no longer do anything. Cortana always asks me to switch my speech language, but if I ignore that it works and...
  9. Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working: Hi all. This is my first post. Using win 10. The Issue i'm having is that when I right click on the Windows Start Icon, I get a list of menu items: Apps features power options event viewer * system, device manager* network connections disk management* computer...
  10. No Properties menu item when right clicking the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    No Properties menu item when right clicking the taskbar: I have a clean install of build 14332 No properties menu item when I right click the Taskbar. How can I get to the properties screen? [img] This is the menu I am trying to get to (image from the web not my PC) [img] 51030