Windows 10: Some keys not functioning (n, b)after someWindows 10 Updates

Discus and support Some keys not functioning (n, b)after someWindows 10 Updates in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I see several people reporting this same, annoying, issue. Also note that the advice provided by the "knowledgeable techies" all suggest trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RonelPreston, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Some keys not functioning (n, b)after someWindows 10 Updates

I see several people reporting this same, annoying, issue.

Also note that the advice provided by the "knowledgeable techies" all suggest trying fixes for keyboard (hardware) issues, such as driver updates, etc.

I am not an expert, but by now want to suggest it is clear - after experiencing so many of these events - that it cannot be the hardware and that it must be some of the Windows Update 'tweaks' causing this ?!

No testing of the keyboard itself (Windows Troubleshooter, nor Driver Update checks - which is the standard advice given to try first) has delivered and reported any faults. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the keyboards (I have tried up to 3 different keyboards ( some very expensive, state-of-the-art keyboards) to see if it is a keyboard problem

This has happened to me on so many occasions that I have out of sheer irritation even disabled Windows Updates temporarily (which I do not like to do).

To wake up on some random morning, only to find the 'b' and 'n' on one keyboard not working and on another keyboard find the entire top row of my keyboard as well as the whole row of Numbers not working, is soul destroying. Usually on days with a busy personal schedule ahead of me!

Some fixes do a temporary job and manage to fix the issue.... but only until the next Windows Update:

* Setting the keyboard Speed Rate to MEDIUM in stead of 100% fast (this was reset and happened after Windows 10 Update too... I did not touch it)

* Making sure NumLK is on

* Disconnecting USB Keyboard, LOG OFF and before restarting again, plugging USB back in so the "a new device is detected and reinstalled" ... checking for drivers in the process too) ... etc

Could it not be that during some Windows Updates, several settings are reset to DEFAULT? And to find WHICH ones are causing this is the trick ...?

:)

RonelPreston, Aug 9, 2018

2. Toshiba L750 keys: ` leftshift a b n keys not working suddenly

Hey Everyone

Started typing on my internal laptop keyboard today and reliased that mainly keys a b and n were not working.
    So I decided to clean them by taking off the key and white holder, then used a cloth to clean all the dust etc.. both under the rubber button and around it. This still didn't work however, so I then decided to uninstall and reinstall the driver as well. However this didn't work either.

Its probably best to try and buy a new one off e-bay, but before I do this does anyone else have any suggestions?

Also interesting, a b and n seems to be a popular combination of keys for other toshiba laptops that don't seem to be working... (Using a USB keyboard atm to type which works fine)

Thanks *Smile

ellellell1, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Function Key Not Working

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the F key on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Form when are you facing this issue and have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you performed?

If you are using external keyboard, I suggest you to connect the keyboard to different port and to different computer and check if it is working fine.

This will help us to know if the issue is with port/ computer the keyboard is connected to or the keyboard it self.

If you are using laptop keyboard, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter it
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Try the above and het back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Some keys not functioning (n, b)after someWindows 10 Updates

alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

Some keys not functioning (n, b)after someWindows 10 Updates

1. Some keys not functioning (n, b)after someWindows 10 Updates - Similar Threads - keys functioning someWindows

2. My keys b/n and spacebar are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keys b/n and spacebar are not working: Done trouble shooting,no breakage... Good as new. Windows 11 dell inspiron 5593 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keys-bn-and-spacebar-are-not-working/1c54df4a-019a-457d-9deb-f236439f410d
  3. My keys b/n and spacebar are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keys b/n and spacebar are not working: Done trouble shooting,no breakage... Good as new. Windows 11 dell inspiron 5593 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keys-bn-and-spacebar-are-not-working/1c54df4a-019a-457d-9deb-f236439f410d
  4. Some keys are not functioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some keys are not functioning.: I have tried resetting, rebooting, and reinstalling drivers, but yet nothing works. My I key, my U key, and my seven and eight keys have stopped functioning after seemingly no outward stimuli. They will stop functioning altogether And intermittently start working again if I...
  5. Some keys are not functioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some keys are not functioning.: I have tried resetting, rebooting, and reinstalling drivers, but yet nothing works. My I key, my U key, and my seven and eight keys have stopped functioning after seemingly no outward stimuli. They will stop functioning altogether And intermittently start working again if I...
  6. B/n KEYS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    B/n KEYS: MY "B" and "N" Keys turn on caps lock. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bn-keys/fabe3dde-0b18-46f9-9837-8ef15197d08c
  7. b, n and space is freezing

b, n and space is freezing: b, n and space on my keyboard is freezing. If I don't have used the keyboard in some minutes, I will have to tap b, n, or space several times before its starts working again. Whenever its starting, its gets back to normal. I have a Lenovo Yoga. Thaks!...
  8. keyboard keys issues- b,m,n and space

keyboard keys issues- b,m,n and space: Hi microsoft team, after typing of letters b,m,n keyboard cursor going to start of the document. and cursor not moving forward until I press Ok. this is a big issue. I have tried to earlier system restore but that not solved issue. i also tried uninstalling the...
  9. B&N Nook not recognized

B&N Nook not recognized: Good morning, I have a Nook that I am trying to connect to my PC but it does not show up in Device Manager. I found a thread that said to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter, but I am using Windows 10 and that troubleshooter does not exist on my machine. I did not try...
  10. Toshiba L750 keys: ` leftshift a b n keys not working suddenly

Toshiba L750 keys: ` leftshift a b n keys not working suddenly: Hey Everyone Started typing on my internal laptop keyboard today and reliased that mainly keys a b and n were not working. So I decided to clean them by taking off the key and white holder, then used a cloth to clean all the dust etc.. both under the rubber button and...