Windows 10: Some keys not responsive on laptop keyboard

Discus and support Some keys not responsive on laptop keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Only 4 keys are dead - escape, arrow up, and letters g and h right in the middle. I have to use a virtual on-screen keyboard to type them here. I read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by decimus, Aug 16, 2020.

1. decimus Win User

Some keys not responsive on laptop keyboard

Only 4 keys are dead - escape, arrow up, and letters g and h right in the middle. I have to use a virtual on-screen keyboard to type them here. I read that installation of some software can mess up keyboard drivers. Well, I uninstalled all my recent apps and did uninstallation and update of Standard PS/2 keyboard driver in Device Manager. No effect. I also read Filter Keys setting toggle should be off. Mine is off. Visually there is no dirt or dust under those keys. Don't know what else I should try.

:)

decimus, Aug 16, 2020

2. Windows 10 Laptop Keyboard Keys Acting Strange

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to the laptop to check if that helps.

Further you may also use the onscreen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 16, 2020
  3. BaronGoh Win User
    Windows Key on Keyboard Not Responsive

My Windows key on the keyboard is not working. I have run through the sfc scannow and the dism repairs and such and it claims everything is working. I did a clean reboot of Windows 10 (Education) and the problem still persists.

Looking at the keyboard driver (Thermal Challenger Gaming Prime), it doesn't seem to register that the left window's button works for anything at all. Attempting to press the button on the keyboard yields no response even if I attempt to bind that key to something else. I doubt it is hardware as using this keyboard on my laptop works perfectly fine. The laptop is running windows 8 however.
    When pressing on the windows button in the left corner of my screen, everything works fine. Left clicking pulls up everything normally and right clicking provides a list of options that seems to be standard for a functioning computer.

All the drivers are installed properly according to the Windows settings and looking at each of the drivers, they are all up to date according to their manufacturer. This is a custom computer that I recently built. It has no prior Operating systems or files and Windows 10 Education was installed on it through the Media Creation Tool on a bootable USB.

What should I do now?

BaronGoh, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Some keys not responsive on laptop keyboard - Similar Threads - keys responsive laptop

2. Some Keyboard Keys not Responsive After Opening Laptop to Clean

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Keyboard Keys not Responsive After Opening Laptop to Clean: Hello!I have an HP Laptop 15-dy1xxx model that was working fine just yesterday. However, I noticed a small bug crawl out from the device and was concerned about there being others, so a family member helped open the laptop to clean the inside with isopropyl alcohol and to...
  3. Some Keyboard Keys not Responsive After Opening Laptop to Clean

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Keyboard Keys not Responsive After Opening Laptop to Clean: Hello!I have an HP Laptop 15-dy1xxx model that was working fine just yesterday. However, I noticed a small bug crawl out from the device and was concerned about there being others, so a family member helped open the laptop to clean the inside with isopropyl alcohol and to...
  4. ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive: My built-in keyboard will not be responsive after a few mins I turn on my laptop. Each time I have to use the physical power button to restart my laptop, then the built-in keyboard works but only last a few mins. If I click the windows button to restart, the built-in keyboard...
  5. ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive

ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive: My built-in keyboard will not be responsive after a few mins I turn on my laptop. Each time I have to use the physical power button to restart my laptop, then the built-in keyboard works but only last a few mins. If I click the windows button to restart, the built-in keyboard...
  6. Slow response of some keys on the keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow response of some keys on the keyboard: Hello. I ran into a problem with the keyboard, I have a laptop, the ESC and 2 keys have a long response, only when they are pressed more than 40+ they are written / pressed BUT when I hold down space + 2 or shift + @ then as you can see everything works. What could be the...
  7. Slow response of some keys on the keyboard

Slow response of some keys on the keyboard: Hello. I ran into a problem with the keyboard, I have a laptop, the ESC and 2 keys have a long response, only when they are pressed more than 40+ they are written / pressed BUT when I hold down space + 2 or shift + @ then as you can see everything works. What could be the...
  8. Slow response of some keys on the keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Some keys are not working on my laptop’s keyboard

Some keys are not working on my laptop’s keyboard: Basically I haven’t used my laptop for about a week, and when I used it again two days ago I couldn’t type in my password because the number 3 wasn’t working neither on the keypad or the alphanumeric one, and then I noticed that some letters weren’t working either. I entered...
  10. Windows Key on Keyboard Not Responsive

Windows Key on Keyboard Not Responsive: My Windows key on the keyboard is not working. I have run through the sfc scannow and the dism repairs and such and it claims everything is working. I did a clean reboot of Windows 10 (Education) and the problem still persists. Looking at the keyboard driver (Thermal...