Windows 10: Some keys only work when pressed in combination with Fn key

Discus and support Some keys only work when pressed in combination with Fn key in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a strange issue with my keyboard and I can't seem to find other posts about it. When I press specific keys (L, down arrow, 9... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thomas_Aub, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Some keys only work when pressed in combination with Fn key

Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue with my keyboard and I can't seem to find other posts about it.

When I press specific keys (L, down arrow, 9 on numpad), they sometimes are not recognized.

For minutes at a time, I cannot press them on their own (issue is present in Office products, Chrome, games, etc.). Then, they seem to unlock and I can type them when I press long enough or when I press multiple times. Then, for a limited time, the keys act a 100% normally (though sometimes I have to press longer). A few minutes later, they are "locked" again.

A weird thing is that when a key is "locked", I can still type it by pressing Fn key + the key I want, but nothing appears when I press them on their own. For the down arrow, the normal Fn + down arrow behavior is triggered (lower brightness), but I cannot scroll/change lines when I press it alone.

I tried cleaning it with compressed air, removing the keycap to see what's underneath, using different key combinations to disable settings like Fn lock ( for example, Fn + num lock), rebooting, uninstalling keyboard driver and rebooting. All special settings for keyboards are disabled.

Other questions mentioning a similar issue talk about Fn Lock, Sticky Keys or damaged keys but that doesn't seem to be the issue because none of those settings are enabled and the keys are still recognized in some circumstances.

Thanks!

Thomas A.

:)

Thomas_Aub, Apr 14, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Exactly what I was used to do, pressing the FN key with an F key but that didn't work....
    If I press the FN key I get f1 f2 f3 and so on.

It was just the other way around, but I figured it out now.*Smile Some keys only work when pressed in combination with Fn key :)

P4-630, Apr 14, 2019
  3. FN key always on

To clarify, I was saying "Accessibility" features maybe be controlled via the BIOS, not the Fn keys. And one of the Accessibility features makes the keys "sticky". This allows folks with some disabilities to press, for example, the Ctrl key, then the Alt key, and then Del in sequence instead of all at once. Same with the Fn key. The sticky feature would let you first press the Fn key, and then the F9 key (for example) and not Fn + F9 at the same time to enable/disable whatever Fn + F9 does with that notebook (it is the touchpad on my Toshiba).

Bill_Bright, Apr 14, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Some keys only work when pressed in combination with Fn key

New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

The FN key seems to be a toggle , I don't need to press it every time I want to adjust the volume or brightness.
    With all my previous laptops I needed to press the FN key WITH the f key I needed to use, so it works slightly different on this laptop than what I'm used to.

P4-630, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

Some keys only work when pressed in combination with Fn key

1. Some keys only work when pressed in combination with Fn key - Similar Threads - keys pressed combination

2. Spacebar Only Works when FN Key is NOT Pressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spacebar Only Works when FN Key is NOT Pressed: SummeryWhen using my normal function keys, the FN key MUST be pressed. This means when gaming, the FN key must be held at all times. Problem: When the FN key is pressed my spacebar does not work. When the FN key is not pressed, the spacebar works. No other key on my keyboard...
  3. Spacebar Only Works when FN Key is NOT Pressed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spacebar Only Works when FN Key is NOT Pressed: SummeryWhen using my normal function keys, the FN key MUST be pressed. This means when gaming, the FN key must be held at all times. Problem: When the FN key is pressed my spacebar does not work. When the FN key is not pressed, the spacebar works. No other key on my keyboard...
  4. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  5. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  6. My 'a' key only works when combining 'fn + f9'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My 'a' key only works when combining 'fn + f9': My 'a' key only works when combining 'fn + f9'It works, there's nothing physically wrong with it, its just my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-a-key-only-works-when-combining-fn-f9/01ec7794-d713-4316-98b9-468569e04fa7
  7. My 'a' key only works when combining 'fn + f9'

My 'a' key only works when combining 'fn + f9': My 'a' key only works when combining 'fn + f9'It works, there's nothing physically wrong with it, its just my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-a-key-only-works-when-combining-fn-f9/01ec7794-d713-4316-98b9-468569e04fa7
  8. My 'a' key only works when combining 'fn + f9'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Some fn keys not working.

Some fn keys not working.: Hello. All my fn used keys used to work before. But my computer got a virus so I had to format it. Now all the fn + f[number] eg: f5, f10 or f11 but fn + arrow keys dont. I tried reinstalling the keyboard driver but it didnt work. Also tried updating it but it says its up to...
  10. Some Fn Keys Not Working

Some Fn Keys Not Working: Greetings. Today randomly, some of my Fn keys have stopped working. The problem exists only when I do Fn + F7, for example, not simply F7. The problem exists on F2-F8 and F10-F12. Thus, my brightness keys won't work, nor do sleep and airplane mode. However, the mute and...