Windows 10: Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch

Discus and support Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you launch some native applications on Microsoft's new Windows 11 operating system for the first time, you may notice that these applications need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 20, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch

If you launch some native applications on Microsoft's new Windows 11 operating system for the first time, you may notice that these applications need an update from the Internet, more precisely the Microsoft Store, before they can be launched on the system.

If the device is offline on first run, applications such as Sticky Notes can't be launched until the system goes online and downloads the required files from the Microsoft Store.

Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch microsoft-to-do.png

Microsoft's idea behind the change is to save disk storage on the device. While it is unclear how much disk space is saved by using placeholders for some of the applications on the device, it is clear that some users will run into issues when they launch the apps for the first time.

"[APP] needs an update. We are getting the update ready for you" is displayed when such an app is started for the first time on the device.

Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch alarms-clocks.png

Windows 11 users need to make sure that the device is connected to the Internet if they want to launch these native applications. Most Windows 11 PCs are permanently connected to the Internet, but some may not be.

Maybe Internet is not available all the time while traveling, or there is an Internet outage or unstable Internet connection available only. The Maps application requires Internet connectivity before it can be used. If you happen to launch it while traveling and without Internet connectivity for the first time, you can't use it.

Want to set an alarm for the first time while camping or working in nature? You can't, without Internet connectivity.

Some applications work directly, including Notepad, Calculator, Calendar, Groove Music and Microsoft Paint. Others, including Sticky Notes, Microsoft To-Do, Maps and Alarms & Clocks require an Internet connection on first run.

Solution

The only option that Windows 11 users have is to either find replacements for these applications, or launch the applications while Internet is available, maybe on first start of the system if Internet connectivity is available.

Microsoft should have marked these applications specifically to make it easier to distinguish between those that require Internet connectivity and those that can be run immediately, even while offline.

Now You: do you think it is a good idea to make some apps require an Internet connection on first run?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 20, 2021
  2. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Sep 20, 2021
  3. Internet Explorer 11 freezes when launched on Windows 10

I would have preferred to post my findings to this thread but alas it's locked: How to reinstall/reset Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10?

Issue: Internet Explorer does not launch properly in Windows 10. The application launches but mouse cursor never changes from "busy" and CPU utilization hits the roof. I have to terminate the process and am unable to run IE on Windows 10.

Resolution:

• Open File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
    • First try running iediagcmd.exe in the Internet Explorer directory. You may need to right click and "Run As Administrator" for it to work properly. This is a built-in diagnostic tool that resolves common problems automatically.
    • Right click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe and select "Run As Administrator".

For me, Step ③, possibly in conjunction with Step ②, resolved the problem.

I have lots of startup apps for things capturing the screen, launching apps, and setting system wide hotkeys. None of them work when run at startup anymore because Windows won't launch apps with admin rights at bootup, even if
    you set the "Run as administrator" option in a shorcut. If I run the apps post-boot, after I've logged in and have admin credentials, then things work like they did in Windows 7.

I read that the solution to this may be using the built-in administrator account, that Windows does allow these to be launched as admin. But for the time being at least, I can run IE on Windows 10.

Mike_Welch, Sep 20, 2021
  4. BrentRM Win User

Internet Explorer 11 and yahoo mail

The method above (clear cache and cookies in Internet Explorer 11) did not fix the issue. In Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 1607, Yahoo Mail says not a supported browser so it will only display in basic mode. Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 1607 does
    work. Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 1511 did work before. Microsoft has listed Yahoo’s sites as requiring Compatibility Mode and that is the root cause. Here is a way to fix the issue:
    • Launch Internet Explorer 11.
    • Click the cog icon in the top right corner of the window to bring up the TOOLS menu.
    • Click COMPATABILITY VIEW SETTINGS.
    • Uncheck both: DISPLAY INTRANET SITES IN COMPATABILITY VIEW and USE MICROSOFT COMPATABILITY LISTS.
    • Exit Internet Explorer 11.
    • Launch Internet Explorer 11.

BrentRM, Sep 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Some native Windows 11 apps require an Internet connection on first launch - Similar Threads - native apps require

2. Some Apps cannot connect to the internet - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Apps cannot connect to the internet - Windows 11: Good afternoon!I am looking for a little help and hoping I do not have to reinstall windows. I have several apps that suddenly cannot connect to the internet. An example is intuit QuickBooks cannot download updates or pull information from bank feeds. My Microsoft calendar is...
  3. Some Apps cannot connect to the internet - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Apps cannot connect to the internet - Windows 11: Good afternoon!I am looking for a little help and hoping I do not have to reinstall windows. I have several apps that suddenly cannot connect to the internet. An example is intuit QuickBooks cannot download updates or pull information from bank feeds. My Microsoft calendar is...
  4. Some apps cant connect to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some apps cant connect to internet: Some apps cant connect to internet e.g Steam Battlenet and Windows apps but other can e.g Internet browsers. Discord, Spotify. I'm on a windows 10 computer and I've tried turning off proxy, disabling firewalls, reinstalling apps but the issue still persists....
  5. Some apps cant connect to internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some apps cant connect to internet: Some apps cant connect to internet e.g Steam Battlenet and Windows apps but other can e.g Internet browsers. Discord, Spotify. I'm on a windows 10 computer and I've tried turning off proxy, disabling firewalls, reinstalling apps but the issue still persists....
  6. Some Apps can't be connected to the internet .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Apps can't be connected to the internet .: When I try to open MS Store, cortana, weather , MS news, Feedback hub, get help and other apps from ms store they show me messages like "We are having trouble signing you in" , "an unknown error occurred" , try that again etc.But my pc is connected to the internet . I can use...
  7. Some Apps can't be connected to the internet .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Apps can't be connected to the internet .: When I try to open MS Store, cortana, weather , MS news, Feedback hub, get help and other apps from ms store they show me messages like "We are having trouble signing you in" , "an unknown error occurred" , try that again etc.But my pc is connected to the internet . I can use...
  8. Some Apps can't be connected to the internet .

9. No internet connection-Only some apps

No internet connection-Only some apps: Windows 10 on Lenovo AIO. All-in-one*really Comcast-Xfinity, Ethernet connection. My client complained every morning his browser, Edge, when opened, got the no internet connection and he couldn't get his email. However, when he restarted the PC, it was OK. Asked him to start...
  10. No internet connection-Only some apps

in Windows 10 Support
    No internet connection-Only some apps: Windows 10 on Lenovo AIO. All-in-one*really Comcast-Xfinity, Ethernet connection. My client complained every morning his browser, Edge, when opened, got the no internet connection and he couldn't get his email. However, when he restarted the PC, it was OK. Asked him to start...