Windows 10: Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

Discus and support Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some of the PCs at work are defining the network as "Domain Network". These PCs are neither discovering the other PCs on the same network, nor they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mohammed Oriba, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

Some of the PCs at work are defining the network as "Domain Network". These PCs are neither discovering the other PCs on the same network, nor they are discoverable to the other PCs. On the other hand, some other PCs are defining the same domain network as "Private Network", and these PCs are discovering and discoverable for all PCs. The problem is that I am not able to change the "Network Profile" to "Private", nor I am able to activate the "Private" instead of "Domain", because these options doe not appear under any of the tap "Network & Internet" in the "Control Panel". By the way I am using Windows 10 on all the PCs and Windows Server 2008 R2 on the servers.

Please advise if it is a Server or PC problem and how I can solve that.

:)

Mohammed Oriba, Oct 5, 2018

2. interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile

After my last clean reinstallation of Win10 I had trouble access my NAS drives. I have everything working now, but I don't really understand what I did and how it works. And I know my future holds more clean installs so I want to understand what I did.

Some background:
    1. I'm paranoid so have my UAC set to it's highest value.
    2. Accessing my NASs seems to require using the "Private" network profile and setting "Make this PC discoverable".
    3. #1 prevents #2 so I lowered the UAC long enough to change the network settings and then set it back up.

1st question: Was the high UAC setting just preventing changing the network setting, or is it preventing something else in network discovery that will bite me in the future? I'm having trouble believing that lowering the UAC just long enough to change the network settings is actually all that was required.

2nd question: I'm not aware of doing anything other than setting "Make this PC discoverable", but suddenly I was using the "Private" network profile. Are these just two ways of saying the same thing, or did I have to do something more to switch to the "Private" profile?

3rd question: If "Make this PC discoverable" and using the Private network profile are not the same thing, which was needed to get network discovery of my NASs working. (Prior to changing the setting, Windows10 could see the devices on my LAN bu no SMB connection could be established.)

pokeefe0001, Oct 5, 2018
  3. Autoamtically disable "Allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices .." popup message

Hi Damian,

To disable to the "allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices," you may try the suggested steps below:

• Access Control Panel (icons view), then click Network and Sharing Center.
    • Click Change advanced sharing settings link on the left side of the screen.
    • Expand the Private (current profile) or Guest or Public network profile for the one you want to turn off network discovery.
    • Click (radio button) to Turn off network discovery for what you want to do, and click/tap on Save changes.
    • Under the Private network profile, you can also check (off) Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices to turn off network discovery.
    • Click Save changes.
    • Close the Network and Sharing Center.
    Feel free to post the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Oct 5, 2018
  4. curt jugg Win User

Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

Turn on Network Discovery on and make PC discoverable off

After my tablet had been updated by the Creator update it ceased to be visible on my laptop in File Explorer under Network. I checked under "Advanced sharing settings" that Network Discovery was turned on, and it was, but I subsequently found that "Make this PC discoverable" was set to "off". When I turned that on, the tablet became visible again. I would have thought that turning on Network Discovery and making the PC discoverable would have been the same thing, but in that case how could one be on and the other off? I'm probably missing something very obvious here but I'd be grateful for any explanation. Thanks.

curt jugg, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

1. Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network - Similar Threads - PCs are discoverable

2. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  3. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  4. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Ethernet PCs Stop Being Discoverable Unless I Do A Network Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet PCs Stop Being Discoverable Unless I Do A Network Reset: That's it basically,My two PCs both running Windows 10 Home edition can see each other on the private home network until I have to reboot them. Then the only way I can make them discoverable to each other on the network is to do a network reset, on each which is a bind.None...
  6. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  7. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  8. Problems discoverying PCs on same domain network

Problems discoverying PCs on same domain network: Greetings all All my PCs run W10 Pro and are on the same domain managed by a W2016 server I am not able to discover the other PCs despite all services and sharing options are running or enabled. from each PC I can see the server and the shares. on different PCs I can...
  9. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network: All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networked-laptop-not-discoverable-by-2-desktop-pcs/5f811814-77a9-4028-842d-e8bc6069e86b
  10. Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network: Some of the PCs at work are defining the network as "Domain Network". These PCs are neither discovering the other PCs on the same network, nor they are discoverable to the other PCs. On the other hand, some other PCs are defining the same domain network as "Private Network",...