Windows 10: Some program is changing a value in my registry. Is there a way to monitor which?

Discus and support Some program is changing a value in my registry. Is there a way to monitor which? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; One program always adds a key to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" to not show thumbs on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/srirachaninja, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Some program is changing a value in my registry. Is there a way to monitor which?

One program always adds a key to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" to not show thumbs on network drives. I deleted it already a couple of times but after 2 weeks or so it shows up again. First I thought it was maybe during a windows update, but that was not the case. Is there a registry monitoring app that will show me which program does the change?

submitted by /u/srirachaninja
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/srirachaninja, Sep 24, 2020

2. How to restore registry values?

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You can perform system restore and check if it helps:

Perform System restore.

I suggest you to perform system restore and select a date prior to the changes which was done with the registry values and check if the issue gets fixed.

To perform System restore:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      System.
    • In the left pane, click on System Protection.
    • Select the option to system restore
      > next. It will show all restore points already created.
    • Select the date prior to the date on which you have made the registry changes.
    Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Try the above step and let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 24, 2020
  3. DCnewbie Win User
    Are my Registry Files all legitimate programs?

Isn't there a web tool whereby I can check if programs listed in my REGISTRY FILES are legitimate programs?

DCnewbie, Sep 24, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Some program is changing a value in my registry. Is there a way to monitor which?

Recording changes to registry, system and programs

Regshot - free- compares registry before and after and presents a report.

Revo Uninstaller - Pro - can monitor an installation for full uninstall of any changes made - including those made by anoy other means during the period monitored.

- But I don't know how useful its log would be.

Spyme Tools - but old...
    Welcome to SpyMe Tools, your Registry & Disk scanner and comparison tool.

SpyMe Tools is very useful in detecting Registry and Disk changes. If any application installs spyware, adware, dlls, programs, files, or any other type of file, picture, or program, etc. or changes the Registry's content, you will be able to see exactly where the modification occurred so you can take measures. It seems like more and more programs are attempting to install spyware, advertisements, or other garbage without your knowledge, but with this software you will know everything that is added or removed.
    To detect Registry/Disk changes the program will create Dumps of the actual states of Registry/Disk. This means that at any time you can open the Dump file and view the contents of the Registry/Disk just as they were when you've scanned the Registry/Disk. The program can compare two different dump files so you'll see exactly what changed in the Registry/Disk between the two scans. The program can also restore old states of Registry keys using the data in the Dump files.

SpyMe Tools also includes a Real time Disk/Registry monitor so you may spot the changes in real time. (Real time Disk monitor works only on NT platform, including Win2k and Win XP).
    =================================
    Nirsoft's
    FolderChangesView is a simple tool that monitors the folder or disk drive that you choose and lists every filename that is being modified, created, or deleted while the folder is being monitored.
    You can use FolderChangesView with any local disk drive or with a remote network share, as long as you have read permission to the selected folder.
    System Requirements

• This utility works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows 2000 and up to Windows 10. Both 32-bit and 64-bit systems are supported.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Some program is changing a value in my registry. Is there a way to monitor which?

1. Some program is changing a value in my registry. Is there a way to monitor which? - Similar Threads - program changing value

2. Invalid Value for Registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid Value for Registry: Hi, I have been away on Hiliday for a few days. Tonight, when I try to open my photos .jpeg and .CR2files I get a message "Invalid Value for Registry". I was recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11....
  3. Undoing registry values

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undoing registry values: I don't know what I've changed ik i should have created a restore point first so I'm wondering if I can just skip the restore step and go to the sfc /scannow part which I've seen listed as plan b. Basically wondering if I can just skip to step 2 as step 1 cannot be done ever....
  4. Invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid value for registry: A few months ago, I noticed that, out of nowhere, some preinstalled apps refused to open. The ones I can list off the top of my head are- notepad- calculator- photos- the media player for audio- the microsoft store- the snipping toolWhen I try to open a file using an app like...
  5. I want to restore some REGISTRY values

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to restore some REGISTRY values: I've used registry file to allow me to disable auto arrange in the folders like the desktopBut, it changed the shape of folders to worse and I want to undo this*not talking about the icons*So if anyone can help with me posting the default values or tell me eaier way to...
  6. svchost.exe changing profilelist State value in registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    svchost.exe changing profilelist State value in registry: It all started someday when I restarted my computer and my user seemed to be corrupted black screen, weird old font, only recycle bin showing on desktop and I had to create a new user and copy all my userdata from the old to the new and it worked fine. Later when i rebooted...
  7. Change registry values of user shell folders: Some folders are missing in registry...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change registry values of user shell folders: Some folders are missing in registry...: I'm looking to change the directory paths of User Shell Folders ex: documents, favorites. I know I can do this easily by right clicking and going to properties. But I'd like to automate this process. I found that there are registry values to each that can be modified:...
  8. I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...: It just happened one day to another. I used it to change the screen lockout from a minute to 60. submitted by /u/AswanStruyf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0qv9y/i_changed_my_registry_value_to_show_advanced/
  9. registry return value

in Windows 10 Customization
    registry return value: hello Champs, I use one app to return a value in the browser in the following form: the registry entry is now: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1 the result in the IE browser is: http://SR:123456789/ is it possible to change the registry entry so that it...
  10. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...