Windows 10: Some programs own Icons replaced by .exe extension Icon in Search Box after Fresh Start

Discus and support Some programs own Icons replaced by .exe extension Icon in Search Box after Fresh Start in Cortana to solve the problem; Recently I chose to give my machine a Fresh Start; it was alright. But since the apps are lost in the process, I found myself looking at my Start menu... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Nyhold, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Nyhold Win User

Some programs own Icons replaced by .exe extension Icon in Search Box after Fresh Start

Recently I chose to give my machine a Fresh Start; it was alright. But since the apps are lost in the process, I found myself looking at my Start menu with those apps' .ink files, all of them without their default icon. I knew it was because they were removed, so I went to the Programs folder and deleted the .ink of the apps I wouldn't reinstall. That went fine. When I reinstalled, for example, Google Chrome, the Icon from the Start Menu returned, but when I search it, this shows up:
    Some programs own Icons replaced by .exe extension Icon in Search Box after Fresh Start a034d905-a4e6-4b59-8a2e-b613877a0c1c?upload=true.png

I've been partially ignoring this issue while reinstalling all of the programs I needed, but since I finished doing that part of the work, I want to solve this. Also, I'd like to list what I've already done:

• I reindexed my items (but if I remember correctly, ProgramData is excluded from Index, so...);
    • I tried to remove the .ink and then creating it again myself;
    • I tried to remake my iconcache by removing the database files (.db?) using CMD.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Nyhold, Aug 11, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z Program Icon Submission

Suggestion to have an option to change Notification Area icon this way too.
    Suggestion to finally have proper separate Options window like most (all?) Windows programs do.

3. W1zzard Win User
    GPU-Z Program Icon Submission

You are right of course that modern cards don't use a green PCB, but I think a lot of people are used to search for the green icon when they want to start GPU-Z. Maybe I could add it as additional icon to the exe that people can select. Email me your original image to L: w1zzard@techpowerup.com. PSD/AI is fine.

W1zzard, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Some programs own Icons replaced by .exe extension Icon in Search Box after Fresh Start

ResourceHacker problem. replace exe icon from icon in imagres.dll

usually i have no trouble with resource hacker...
    now when i replace a icon im usally able to see the icons in imageres.dll and select a icon...
    now when i want to replace a icon on a exe file i open resource hacker, replace icon, select imageres.dll and NOTHING shows up, im usually able to see the list.

Steven Campoli, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

Some programs own Icons replaced by .exe extension Icon in Search Box after Fresh Start

1. Some programs own Icons replaced by .exe extension Icon in Search Box after Fresh Start - Similar Threads - programs own Icons

2. Strange box replaces desktop icons after hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange box replaces desktop icons after hibernation: Basically, whenever I start my computer from hibernation, all of my desktop icons disappear and are replaced with a gray box:Said box is in the top-left corner today. It's always on the left side somewhere along the top or bottom, but never along the side and never floating...
  3. Strange box replaces desktop icons after hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange box replaces desktop icons after hibernation: Basically, whenever I start my computer from hibernation, all of my desktop icons disappear and are replaced with a gray box:Said box is in the top-left corner today. It's always on the left side somewhere along the top or bottom, but never along the side and never floating...
  4. Strange box replaces desktop icons after hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Search box blurry icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search box blurry icons: Hi there. So the search bar of my windows 11 laptop looks like this and the icons seem a little bit off like they kind of have a bad resolution and I don't like it. I don't know if it’s a bug or something....
  6. Search box blurry icons

Search box blurry icons: Hi there. So the search bar of my windows 11 laptop looks like this and the icons seem a little bit off like they kind of have a bad resolution and I don't like it. I don't know if it’s a bug or something....
  7. Replace Search icon with Search box issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace Search icon with Search box issue: Hello, I have this problem with my lenovo yoga, where I have the search icon in my taskbar, but I want the search box to replace the icon, I have tried to right click the taskbar and look for "properties" to access "Access Taskbar and Start Menu Properties", but I don't have...
  8. Windows Start: Search results showing icons for only some icons

in Cortana
    Windows Start: Search results showing icons for only some icons: I noticed today that when I search for programs on the start menu some icons will show while some will not. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it? Thanks in advance....
  9. ResourceHacker problem. replace exe icon from icon in imagres.dll

ResourceHacker problem. replace exe icon from icon in imagres.dll: usually i have no trouble with resource hacker... now when i replace a icon im usally able to see the icons in imageres.dll and select a icon... now when i want to replace a icon on a exe file i open resource hacker, replace icon, select imageres.dll and NOTHING shows up, im...
  10. Start menu icons gone for some programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons gone for some programs: yo! All of a sudden the battle.net, chrome and evernote lost it's icons but they still work. how, why? 38027