Windows 10: Some programs (Powerpoint, Windows Settings) Cause Flicker

Discus and support Some programs (Powerpoint, Windows Settings) Cause Flicker in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows Pro 10, Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 Lenovo Thinkpad W530 in Docking Station NVidia Quadro K2000M NVidia driver v 24.21.13.9836 Dell U2717D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WizardOfBoz, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Some programs (Powerpoint, Windows Settings) Cause Flicker

Windows Pro 10, Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    Lenovo Thinkpad W530 in Docking Station
    NVidia Quadro K2000M
    NVidia driver v 24.21.13.9836
    Dell U2717D Flatscreen connected to docking station
    Dell U2717D (DP) driver v 1.0.0.0
    Running the laptop screen simultaneously

Computer starts normally and generally runs normally. But if I open Powerpoint or the "Windows Settings" app, I get very strange behavior. I'll use the word "focus" to indicate what happens when you click on a window: you changed the focus to that window. If the offending program is on my laptop screen and I click on it to change focus, or click elsewhere to change focus from it to another app, behavior is fine. But if the offending program's window is on my flat screen, changing focus to or from that program causes the screen to flicker: it blacks out and returns immediately.

I'm thinking that its a driver issue, probably the nvidia driver. Anyone else ever experience this?

Thx,

Boz

:)

WizardOfBoz, Jan 17, 2019

2. I want to set up a user account so it opens to the Powerpoint Program. Is this possible?

Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To make sure I understand correctly, you would like the PowerPoint presentation to launch as soon as the user signs in, is that correct?

If so, you do have the option to add PowerPoint to the list of startup programs. Startup programs are the programs that automatically loads when a user signs in. This feature will launch the program directly once the user signs in.

To add Powerpoint to startup immediately, follow the steps below:

1. Type PowerPoint in the search bar.

2. Right click on PowerPoint and select "open file location".

3. In the new Window, right click on the powerpoint icon and select "create shortcut". A new shortcut will be created on the desktop.

4. Press Windows key + D to go to desktop.

5. Right click on the powerpoint shortcut and select "copy".

6. Now, follow the path to locate the startup folder.

For all users:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

For a specific User:

C:\Users\The User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

7. Paste the powerpoint shortcut in the startup folder.

8. To confirm, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open task manager, click on "startup" tab and see if powerpoint is listed.

9. If listed, you have successfully added the program to the startup list.

10. Restart the computer and check.

In addition, you have the option to pin the PowerPoint icon to the taskbar so that it is accessible directly without the need to search through the different programs.

To pin the program to the taskbar, follow the steps below:

1. Login to the user account

2. Type PowerPoint in the search bar.

3. Right click on PowerPoint and select "pin to taskbar".

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Assigned Access of Powerpoint Presentation

Hi Drew,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding PowerPoint Mobile app in windows store. I will certainly assist you.

As you are not able to see the PowerPoint Mobile app in windows store. I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the app which is freely available in Windows Store.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Type Control Panel on the search bar,then go to Programs and Features, Click View Updates
    • Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Jan 17, 2019
  4. Some programs (Powerpoint, Windows Settings) Cause Flicker

Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

Some programs (Powerpoint, Windows Settings) Cause Flicker

1. Some programs (Powerpoint, Windows Settings) Cause Flicker - Similar Threads - programs Powerpoint Settings

2. Can’t find my first PowerPoint program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t find my first PowerPoint program: Lost My first PowerPoint presentation, went to open it up, and it only has one slide, the slide I was working on for the third part of the presentation...
  3. Some online powerpoints wont download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some online powerpoints wont download: I've recently made 19 powerpoints for a project, I'm trying to save them as PDFs but 3 of them won't save, I have space on my pc, is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-online-powerpoints-wont-download/76af6ef4-cd24-4b88-a472-8d9456b45906
  4. Some online powerpoints wont download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some online powerpoints wont download: I've recently made 19 powerpoints for a project, I'm trying to save them as PDFs but 3 of them won't save, I have space on my pc, is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-online-powerpoints-wont-download/76af6ef4-cd24-4b88-a472-8d9456b45906
  5. Windows not showing some programs in my storage settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not showing some programs in my storage settings: [ATTACH] I'm trying to reduce the space on my C drive and whenever I go to my storage settings it'll say 285 GB free for "Apps & Features" https://preview.redd.it/l3zdezhij3o61.png?width=498&format=png&auto=webp&s=38c43358002c133007aa3152c7d8a1b821ccacde Then when I...
  6. Numlock causes some Accessibility setting to turn on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Numlock causes some Accessibility setting to turn on: Whenever I turn on numlock on my laptop (not something I do often I usually hit it by accident) my computer locks and then opens a bunch of windows help tabs on edge. Then whenever I try to type it seems like the windows key is being held down. So H turns on voice to text and...
  7. Windows 10 HD Theme cause some programs (.exe) to Crash

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 HD Theme cause some programs (.exe) to Crash: I am using the HD theme in Windows 10 home (up to date). I have had unexpected crashes when trying to run certain programs. When I turn HD theme off, the effected programs load and work properly. The major program that this effects is Adobe Creative Cloud but ONLY Premiere...
  8. Windows 10 HD Theme cause some programs (.exe) to Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 HD Theme cause some programs (.exe) to Crash: I am using the HD theme in Windows 10 home (up to date). I have had unexpected crashes when trying to run certain programs. When I turn HD theme off, the effected programs load and work properly. The major program that this effects is Adobe Creative Cloud but ONLY Premiere...
  9. what causes screen flicker?

what causes screen flicker?: what causes screen flicker? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/what-causes-screen-flicker/8a14c746-99dd-4b49-b453-e2baeff30b4b
  10. Problem with PowerPoint and some apps

Problem with PowerPoint and some apps: When I use PowerPoint and start the slideshow, the screen shows half the slide and the same half screen is mirrored at a right angle. The same thing happens on some a live online demo I was watching. Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix. I'll try posting an image....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. certain windows flicker with certain programs open in background

2. powerpoint causes screen to flicker