Windows 10: Some programs won't show up in/get pinned to the Start menu

Discus and support Some programs won't show up in/get pinned to the Start menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Something a bit weird with the Win 10 start menu. I'm using Oracle VirtualBox, and installed the latest version after upgrading to Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by thomash, Jul 30, 2015.

1. thomash Win User

Some programs won't show up in/get pinned to the Start menu

Hi,

Something a bit weird with the Win 10 start menu. I'm using Oracle VirtualBox, and installed the latest version after upgrading to Windows 10 (5.0.1 beta). It works fine, but for some reason I can't pin it to the start menu, nor does it show up in the start menu when I search for it.

I ticked the usual suspects during installation (create Start menu entry, add quicklauch icon, add Desktop shortcut) but it just refuses to show up.

I can run it just fine, by navigating to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox and double clicking VirtualBox.exe, and when it shows on the taskbar, I can also pin it to there, and it does stay put on the taskbar.

Any ideas? I can pin other stuff to the Start menu just fine. There are some other apps that I use that I also can't pin to Start and also don't show up in the search, but most others work fine for pinning and searching. For example Putty, Texworks, wxMaxima etc. do show up, but WinDirStat doesn't. I can't see a pattern to this, and the apps still work if I launch them directly from their .exe files.

Thanks,
    Thomas

:)

thomash, Jul 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 Start Menu

Like pinning facebook to the taskbar, it won't show up. Or pinning it to the start menu, it will be gone in ten minutes

K.AlecPetersen, Jul 30, 2015
  3. ChakLong Win User
    Windows 10 Start menu broken, not updating properly

Hi, for some reason my Windows 10 start menu isn't updating properly. If I uninstall a program/app, it still shows up in the 'All Apps' list, and left/right-clicking the uninstalled app doesn't do anything. I also had 'Recently Used' apps listed in the start
    menu, but no apps that I use actually get into the list, only the apps that are listed there by default (Get Started, People, Paint, Notepad). Things such as shortcuts also can't be pinned to the Startmenu. Also, some programs/apps just simply didn't show
    up at all.

However, for some reason if I install an app, it gets added to the 'All Apps' section, and I can also pin and move the app's tile around...

I installed a third-party Start menu and all of these issues were resolved, recently used programs were there, uninstalled programs didn't show up, and some missing programs were back. Does anyone know what the issue is with the default Windows 10 start
    menu? Is there some corrupt file I need to delete and have Windows recreate?

ChakLong, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

Some programs won't show up in/get pinned to the Start menu

1. Some programs won't show up in/get pinned to the Start menu - Similar Threads - programs won't show

2. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  3. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  4. Programs not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not showing in start menu: I recently changed which SSD I wanted games and a few other things on. Since changing this any of the things installed aren’t showing up on the start menu. I have 3 different SSD’s, not sure if this have anything to do with it? I don’t know if I’m supposed to enable the...
  5. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  6. Programs Not Showing Up in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs Not Showing Up in Start Menu: I download programs. They get place in Documents folder (did another question on that). They don't show up in Start Menu. How do I get them to show up there? Thanks....
  7. Start menu not showing up

Start menu not showing up: Neither this or searching menu don't show up help submitted by /u/Kamiks0320 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0o9xv/start_menu_not_showing_up/
  8. Start menu not showing up

Start menu not showing up: Neither this or searching menu don't show up help submitted by /u/Kamiks0320 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0o9xv/start_menu_not_showing_up/
  9. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...
  10. Cannot pin programs to start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin programs to start menu: Not all the programs I have installed appear on the start menu (all apps). Even if I right click the relevant exe file (from file explorer) and select pin to start menu it does not appear. If I select pin to taskbar that works! 40527

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyperworks wont show up in start menu