Windows 10: Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD

Discus and support Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My 5 or 6 year old HP desktop is experiencing some severe hardware issues with the hard drive. I've decided that it might be best to keep the basic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Doctor-Who, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD

My 5 or 6 year old HP desktop is experiencing some severe hardware issues with the hard drive. I've decided that it might be best to keep the basic machine, but replace the old platter hard drive with a SSD drive. I've currently got Windows 10 Professional, which I upgraded from Windows 8.* Pro. Bottom line is I have a valid Windows 10 Pro license. So there's a few questions I want to ask, in preparation for doing this.

First question is how do I transfer my Windows 10 Pro license from one old hard drive a platter drive to a new SSD drive? I've heard that Microsoft has made this easier, but I still don't know what the steps are.

And how about the data from the apps that we're using? I've got Office 365 Home Edition and have 6 Windows Profiles currently on this machine. What's the best way to migrate them off this old HD to the new SSD?

:)

Doctor-Who, Apr 11, 2020
  2. E_R_ Win User

Get Windows 10 App appears on old HD but not on the new HD

I have an old HD that I have Windows 7 Home SP1 installed. I reserved a copy of Windows 10 and see the "Get Windows 10" app on this old HD.

I bought a new SSD HD to replace the old HD and installed my Windows 7 Home SP1 and all updates to this HD but I do not get the "Get Windows 10" app symbol in my system tray. I have made sure all necessary updates have been done but still no luck.

I am not sure what to do because I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10 on the old HD but cant get the "Get Windows 10" to appear on the new HD.

3. Get Windows 10 App appears on old HD but not on the new HD

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

If you reserve Windows 10 on old HD then you will get updates on old HD.

You will not get any updates in new HD because you have reserved in old HD.

->Check if the computer is activated or not?

Refer to this link to get the "GWX app"

Get Windows 10 app does not appear

I suggest you to download ISO and install it on your PC by using below link.

Download Windows 10

If you have any other questions or you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sushma Reddy, Apr 11, 2020
  4. JTDemag12 Win User

Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD

Win 7 to Win 10 now need to install a new bigger HD

I built a tower PC 7 years ago. Ordered and installed Windows 7 Pro on a 500GB HD.

since then I upgraded to Windows 10. My question is, what are the steps to do, to basically move my Windows 10 OS to a new bigger, 1TB HD, purchased recently, installed in the same PC, currently as a backup? I still have my old Windows 7 CD but nothing for
    the Windows 10 as it was from the upgrade process, so as I hear I have a virtual license for Windows 10. How can I move the OS to a new HD in the same machine?

JTDemag12, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD

1. Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD - Similar Threads - questions moving installation

2. Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...: I'll be installing windows 10 on a harddrive (1TB SSD) I'm replacing my old one (1TB 7200rpm) with, on my HP Pavilion laptop (~4 years old). I'd like to have least amount of annoying extra bloatware/adware/extra background processes etc., so the new windows is as clean as...
  3. Change HD, new windows install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change HD, new windows install: Hi! I have a 1TB ssd that is now full and I need to upgrade it to a 4TB. I have a valid win10 pro norwegian product key I got when I updated from my win7 years ago. Where can I find a win10 pro norwegian installer file I can put on a usb drive to use for new install on my...
  4. W10 installation on new HD

W10 installation on new HD: I have an Acer Aspire S3 w hich has a failed hdd. I use it for travels and the odd use of two laptops at home. I wish to replace it with a new ssd drive. I do not have a image of W10 to utilize for reinstalling the the OS., nor can I axcess the the failed harddrive. How do...
  5. How to move OS from HD to SSD ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move OS from HD to SSD ?: So i have about a 100 gb ssd. its connected to a different sata than the hard drive windows 10 is installed. How do i get just the OS to run from that ssd ? I want to use the hard drive just for software and different files as storage. Im getting a new ssd i want to use...
  6. Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer: Hi Microsoft, I have windows 10 pro and Microsoft office 365 installed at old computer. I planed to convert The HD to SSD and than The SSD will install to new computer. What must step/procedure be followed to successfully the installation at new computer? Thank you....
  7. Installing windows 10 to a new HD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing windows 10 to a new HD: I recently had an HD fail and I am stuck replacing it. I assume that I should have no troubles downloading the files I need to get going but what do I do about the install key? Somehow the key sticker on the bottom of the laptop case was damaged to the point of not being able...
  8. New HD/Install windows 10

New HD/Install windows 10: New hd old one crashed. Is there a way to put windows 10 back on that was originally downloaded from the web when they offered it? If I downloaded an windows 10 ISO will it not ask for a key or does it install a media creation tool? I have read some on the comments on the...
  9. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question: The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions. My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. As soon as I was able to I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I really do not want to purchase a copy of...
  10. Move Windows 10 HD to a new computer

Move Windows 10 HD to a new computer: Hi - If I remember correctly, Windows 10 Product Key (or license) is based on a hardware ID of some sort. If I have a working Windows 10 on a HDD (or SSD), and I'm ready to junk that computer and want to move that "licensed" version of Windows 10 and the HDD to a new machine,...