Windows 10: Some questions about Windows Recovery Media.

Discus and support Some questions about Windows Recovery Media. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will get to the point straight. I have some questions about Windows Installation Media. Q.1 If I created the installation media in a 32 GB thumb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Shubh Varma, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Some questions about Windows Recovery Media.

I will get to the point straight.

I have some questions about Windows Installation Media.

Q.1 If I created the installation media in a 32 GB thumb drive and my system only needed a 8 GB thumb drive, can I partition that thumb drive and use it for other purposes? I presume the answer as no, but still.

Q.2 I have an Acer laptop, if you know, Acer has an in-built service with the name of Acer Care Center, so creating a recovery drive is better in which app, is it the care center application's recovery management tool or the media creation tool?

Q.3 If I wish to reinstall Windows from this USB recovery media, be it for a virus attack or performance degradation, which product key is required to activate the installed Windows?

Q.4 If I create Installation media when the latest version was 2004 May 2020 update, which version of Windows will be installed on the PC?

Q.5 I f Windows gets an update after 2004, do I need to delete the contents of the recovery drive and install the tool again and create a recovery drive again?

Q.6 The media creation tool first downloads Windows system files and the installs them and copies them to the thumb drive, so lets say when I did this there was some manually installed software, so will the software make its way to the drive? meaning, when I install using this drive, will my programs also be installed?

That's it.
    Hope you help me :

:)

Shubh Varma, Aug 13, 2020

2. BSOD Recovery Media Fails

Hi,

This issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
      • bootrec /fixmbr
      • bootrec /fixboot
      • bootrec /scanos
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Missing Recovery Environment

Hi Alan,

Here is a link containing several useful suggestions to help you recover Windows 10. Since the error message that you got tells you to insert your Windows installation or recovery media. We suggest the perform the steps listed under
    Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC or you can also follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC. Please see the link below for more details:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Aug 13, 2020
  4. Some questions about Windows Recovery Media.

difference between windows installiation media and windows recovery drive

As the name suggests,

• WIM or installation media is used to install Windows on to the computer.whereas
    • Recovery drive is created to repair your computer in case if it wont start or throw any startup error.

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

Some questions about Windows Recovery Media.

1. Some questions about Windows Recovery Media. - Similar Threads - questions Recovery Media

2. Question about Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows Media Player.: Hello Microsoft, for some reason, my Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player Legacy won't play movies on windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-windows-media-player/8e2c21fb-f1bd-4f17-8ecf-79be6ff2ca94
  3. Question about Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows Media Player.: Hello Microsoft, for some reason, my Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player Legacy won't play movies on windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-windows-media-player/8e2c21fb-f1bd-4f17-8ecf-79be6ff2ca94
  4. QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY: so i’ve run into the SrtTrail boot issue and i’ve tried everything online to fix it. if i were to put windows on a USB drive and boot it from there, could i use a system restore point from before this issue? when i try to use the restore point now in Windows Recovery/Repair,...
  5. QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY

QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY: so i’ve run into the SrtTrail boot issue and i’ve tried everything online to fix it. if i were to put windows on a USB drive and boot it from there, could i use a system restore point from before this issue? when i try to use the restore point now in Windows Recovery/Repair,...
  6. QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Some questions about Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some questions about Windows: Okay, as the title shows, I have 2 problems that I don't know how to fix and I need everybody help.The first one is background slideshow problem. I'm using Windows 11, install all of cumulative updates. When I use background slideshow mode, it works well at Desktop 1 I have 2...
  8. Some questions about Windows

Some questions about Windows: Okay, as the title shows, I have 2 problems that I don't know how to fix and I need everybody help.The first one is background slideshow problem. I'm using Windows 11, install all of cumulative updates. When I use background slideshow mode, it works well at Desktop 1 I have 2...
  9. Question About Windows Media Player

Question About Windows Media Player: Hi! I was just wondering...i recall that when i ran Windows 7, there was a graphic equalizer you could access in Windows Media Player...I am using the player on Windows 10 since switching over, but i cannot seem to find the Graphic Equalizer. Is there still one in the...
  10. Question about Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...