Windows 10: Some Shift key combinations stopped functioning

Discus and support Some Shift key combinations stopped functioning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a problem that has been bothering me for long enough, and I need some help. I've tried everything and searched the web to fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DouglasChavez3, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Some Shift key combinations stopped functioning

Hello everyone,

I have a problem that has been bothering me for long enough, and I need some help. I've tried everything and searched the web to fix this at 100% with no success. A week or 2 ago, I noticied that my 'Windows' Key wasn't responding, and same thing with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 keys in my keyboard. I found online that some keyboards 'lock' the 'Windows' key by pressing the right CTRL so I pressed it and now the 'Windows' Key is working and so the 1, 2, 3, and 4 number keys. However,the hotkey combinations of: Shift + 1, or +2, +3, and +4 aren't working at all, which correspond to exclamation mark, quotation, numeral and dollar sign respectively.

Please help, I've tried uninstalling the keyboard driver with no positive outcome, turning off the ease of access functions of my keyboard, and even restoring my system back to before this problem started. And nothing works.*I'd like to point out that the hotkeys of Shift and 5-0 do work, oddly enough.

Additional information:

*Windows 10

*Inspiron 14 7460

*Laptop's built in keyboard

Thank you.

:)

DouglasChavez3, Jun 14, 2020

2. Contol + Shift key combinations functions not working

I have just purchased a new HP Envy Laptop model 15-A E05SA. and have upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1.
    However, for some reason the Control + Shift key plus other key combination functions do not seem work.
    For example Ctrl+Shift+f9 should remove all hyperlinks from selected document text also Ctrl+Shift+ should magnify page, etc but do not work.
    The Ctrl key, Shift key and function keys work normally individually but not in a combination.
    I would welcome any guidance.
    Thanks.

un1corn Guest, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Shift+4 key combination not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• Do the other combination with shift key are working?
    • Did you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to update your keyboard drivers and check if it helps.

Method 1: Update keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Device manager.
    • Click on Keyboards.
    • Right-click on the Keyboards and click on
      Update driver software.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jun 14, 2020
  4. xianate Win User

Some Shift key combinations stopped functioning

Shift+4 key combination not working

The shift key works fine and so does the 4 key however when I try to use the Shift+4 key combination nothing happens. I have tested multiple keyboards and even the On-Screen keyboard and have had no success in getting the key combination to work.

the key combination stooped working a couple days before the official release of windows 10 whilst I was still on the technical preview. I had expected it to be fixed when the update came for the official version of windows 10 however it is still broken.

any help would be greatly appreciated

xianate, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

Some Shift key combinations stopped functioning

1. Some Shift key combinations stopped functioning - Similar Threads - Shift key combinations

2. Some keys are not functioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some keys are not functioning.: I have tried resetting, rebooting, and reinstalling drivers, but yet nothing works. My I key, my U key, and my seven and eight keys have stopped functioning after seemingly no outward stimuli. They will stop functioning altogether And intermittently start working again if I...
  3. Some keys are not functioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some keys are not functioning.: I have tried resetting, rebooting, and reinstalling drivers, but yet nothing works. My I key, my U key, and my seven and eight keys have stopped functioning after seemingly no outward stimuli. They will stop functioning altogether And intermittently start working again if I...
  4. Some shift or alt gr + key combinations don't work properly in some applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some shift or alt gr + key combinations don't work properly in some applications: Hi, I found recently that some keys don't behave as they should. I use a Spanish keyboard built in a laptop. Windows language is set to Spanish Spain and the keyboard is set to Spanish keyboard. The easiest way to check it is with the key ñ that works as it should. Now I will...
  5. Most key combinations with alt+shift not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Most key combinations with alt+shift not working: I have a really weird problem and now in homeoffice it's getting more annoying. I'm unable to do key combinations with alt+shift. The only thing I found for this was this...
  6. combination keys (Shift +f*)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    combination keys (Shift +f*): since the update after V-1709 every1 that plays a game called tibia can't use (Shift+F12)everything was always fine since win xp till win 10 1709 but after till last update till now still not working any solutions ?...
  7. Shift + Arrow Keys to select functionality stopped working

Shift + Arrow Keys to select functionality stopped working: Hello, I've recently lost the ability to select text or cells by holding shift key and using arrow keys to highlight/select. I've checked scroll lock, sticky keys and restarted a number of times. My shift and arrow keys work fine independently. Control + Arrow keys are...
  8. (Some) Ctrl+Shift+[key] combinations not working.

(Some) Ctrl+Shift+[key] combinations not working.: As said in the title, some Ctrl+Shift+[key] combinations don't work in my system (kind of, actually). In Notepad++, the 'Save All' keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+S) doesn't work. In Visual Studio 2017, the 'Open Project/Solution...' (Ctrl+Shift+O) doesn't work either, the...
  9. Some key combinations stopped working

Some key combinations stopped working: Keyboard is the default Asus X555 laptop keyboard. Running Windows 10 pro 64bit Recently, some keys in my keyboard stopped working while another key is pressed. For example, while pressing key 'A' the key 'Q' is not working but when key 'Q' is pressed alone it works....
  10. Contol + Shift key combinations functions not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Contol + Shift key combinations functions not working: I have just purchased a new HP Envy Laptop model 15-A E05SA. and have upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. However, for some reason the Control + Shift key plus other key combination functions do not seem work. For example Ctrl+Shift+f9 should remove all hyperlinks from...