Windows 10: Some Strange Things Going on With Defender

Discus and support Some Strange Things Going on With Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This has been going on for so long now I think I may have some sort of malware. I have a red cross on anti virus in security centre and on the task... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mygeneration, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Some Strange Things Going on With Defender

This has been going on for so long now I think I may have some sort of malware.

I have a red cross on anti virus in security centre and on the task bar shield. In settings it tells me I am using third party anti virus but I have used every dedicated AV uninstaller.

I have also visited services.msc and the registry and checked that all is as should be there. In services you can start Defender but it doesn't "stay started" as it were.

Despite telling me that I am using 3rd party AV, update still tries to download new virus definitions for defender, and of course they fail. As they have been since Dec 14th last year when coinicidentally Security update KB4470788 was downloaded.

I tried to uninstall this thinking it might be the cause, and of all the updates this is the only one which won't allow me to uninstall it.

So after all that, if anyone's got any ideas as to what's wrong, they would be much appreciated!

:)

mygeneration, Mar 3, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows defender is not going to enable manually....

Hi,

Windows Defender Antivirus works help protect your device by scanning for malicious or unwanted software and uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your device. To efficiently assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• What is the exact error message you received?
    • Are you able to use Windows Defender before?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how to turn on/off Windows Defender.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 3, 2019
  3. WINDOWS DEFENDER is turned off

Hi Ahmed,

Since you're not able to turn on Windows Defender as well, we'd like to know if you have made any changes recently prior to this issue. In the meantime, you may follow the steps below on how to turn on Windows Defender manually:

• Type Windows Defender in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Go to Settings and make sure that the Turn on real-time protection recommended option is turned on.
    Same thing with the other members who are having the same issue, we suggest that you check if the service was setup to
    Automatic in the Services option. Please follow the steps that we've provided last
    September 3, 2017.

Let us know how if you were able to turn it on properly by changing the Startup type to Automatic.

Eileen Gal, Mar 3, 2019
  4. Some Strange Things Going on With Defender

Phenom 9850BE low voltage overclocking results!

well if your going to continue with overclocking, i suggest doing the baby steps thing heh. good luck with the overclocking

eidairaman1, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

Some Strange Things Going on With Defender

1. Some Strange Things Going on With Defender - Similar Threads - Strange Things Going

2. Notepad doing strange thing!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad doing strange thing!: Today is bit more lazy day. So I did a very stupid thing. I wrote zeroes of whole text file. Then I finally surprised! It stuck and on task manager I saw it takes upto 2.4 GB of RAM. So I stop writing it and saved it to text file. Then, it's 1.21GB text file. I couldn't read...
  3. Some strange thing happening with scrolling

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Some strange thing happening with scrolling: Hi, I'm not sure if my Win10 installation has always worked like this, but I think not, but it's been like this for over a year. It relates to scrolling. I have a lot of subfolders. When I scroll down my list, and then stop to choose a folder which has come into view, the...
  4. Event viewer strange things(?)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Event viewer strange things(?): Hi, in my event viewer several keys (name or description) are missing or are using weird codes instead of words, should I reinstall or use an older image? Is it broken and needs some fixing? [img] Thanks! 154621
  5. Strange things happening at bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange things happening at bootup: When I start my HP laptop with WIN10, after the bootup screen appears, if I am not prompt to hit one key to advance me to my login PIN, strange things happen. Like: old pages showing up, some containing sensitive material. Others are just various pages that I have visited in...
  6. Event viewer strange things(?)

in Windows 10 Support
    Event viewer strange things(?): Hi, in my event viewer several keys (name or description) are missing or are using weird codes instead of words, should I reinstall or use an older image? Is it broken and needs some fixing? [img] Thanks! 154621
  7. Random things going on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random things going on: Ok, so I have no idea what is going on. I rearranged my living room and disconnected everything last night. I put everything back together, and now my computer is doing random things. When I have FB pulled up, i try to open chat boxes, they close automatically, and letters...
  8. Weird things going on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird things going on: So i installed TDU2 with a "legit" patch with some cars. It worked for like 2 hours then in started to do some weird things and the launcher gave me some crazy crashes and i uninstalled the things and i decided to restart my pc and now almost all my files have one of those :...
  9. Strange things going on when using my browser. Help!

in Browsers and Email
    Strange things going on when using my browser. Help!: I have a very strange situation. Here is event sequence. From the time I was forced to do a factory reinstallation my bookmarks had to be reconstructed This morning I browsed to the Citizens Advice pages to check on a matter of consumer law, and having got the info,...
  10. For some strange reason cant go to this website

in Browsers and Email
    For some strange reason cant go to this website: I don't know why but I can not go to wikia.com 45278