Windows 10: Some unicode characters (like ★) no longer display properly in Explorer after recent patches

Discus and support Some unicode characters (like ★) no longer display properly in Explorer after recent patches in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have some files that contain unicode characters in the file name, for instance: ★★★★☆ Nothing Can Change This Love - Sam Cooke.mp3 I don't know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Arrivest, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Arrivest Win User

Some unicode characters (like ★) no longer display properly in Explorer after recent patches

I have some files that contain unicode characters in the file name, for instance:

★★★★☆ Nothing Can Change This Love - Sam Cooke.mp3

I don't know since when, these file names no longer display properly in the File Explorer, the file above would now be

◻◻◻◻◻ Nothing Can Change This Love - Sam Cooke.mp3

Meanwhile, some other unicode characters are fine, for instance the checkmark:

✔ done.txt

Other than regular Windows Updates, I didn't change anything. Is this a new bug introduced by a patch?

If I copy the file names into a text editor, the stars would come back.

:)

Arrivest, Jan 11, 2019
  2. Fafhrd Win User

How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

I haven't the right keyboard available on my laptop, so I can't test this, but the way we used to do it was:

1. Press and hold down the Alt key.
    2. Press the + (plus) key on the numeric keypad.
    3. Type the hexidecimal unicode value.
    4. Release the Alt key.
    This comes from:

How to enter Unicode characters in Microsoft Windows

Which leads on to this small utility:

UnicodeInput - a utility to enter Unicode characters on Microsoft Windows

Which I also cannot test.

In Microsoft Word,there must be numerous published macros for handling Unicode - some will be better than others - just go to:

microsoft word unicode macro - Google Search

for loads of links.

Fafhrd, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Console displays unicode character as [], but can understand them

I have a strange bug in a cmd, it displays any unicode character as .
    Here what i do:

1. Run cmd.exe(font is set to Lucida Console)
    2. chcp 65001
    3. Paste "フォルダー" and every character displays as [], if i copy it from console and paste it somewhere else it will be again フォルダー as it must.
    4. When doing cd "フォルダー" it does go to it but again displays as C:\[][][][][]\

Why it didn't display unicode characters?<br>
    Edit:
    Actually there is no solve though...<br>
    But if you want you can use ConEmu which is improving default prompt.<br>
    In ConEmu characters are displaying with any font, because it uses font that supported these chars with selected.

BladeMight, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Serghei T Win User

Some unicode characters (like ★) no longer display properly in Explorer after recent patches

MP3 Songs And Albums with non-Unicode Characters are displayed in debris

Hi,

Can someone explain why all songs and albums in non-Unicode characters (Russian language in my case) all displayed in debris in Music and Videos on Nokia Lumia 920?

Here is my settings.

On my Windows 7 machine Current Language for non-Unicode programs is Russian. On Windows Phone - App Preview 3, I can see right character set. This is obvious.

In Windows Explorer I can see MP3 Title, Contribution Artist and Album in Russian.

As soon as I transfer songs to Windows Phone all Russian letters are gone. (shown in debris)

In Windows Explorer when I browse the phone music folder the same MP3 file Title, Contribution Artist and Album in debris characters.

Is it encoding problem on Windows Phone device itself? Was working fine on my Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7.5 OS.

Is any work around?

Thank you

Serghei T, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Some unicode characters (like ★) no longer display properly in Explorer after recent patches - Similar Threads - unicode characters ★

2. Regarding your recent updates and patches

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding your recent updates and patches: Hi guys, I have recently received one of your forced updates and this has broken my ability to use my Rocksmith 2014 cable on USB 3 ports. This is a brand new cable bought only a few weeks ago, it is 100% operational and I have tested it on more than my machine, and the...
  3. Why after recent windows 10 update, Nvidia control panel will no longer adjust display.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why after recent windows 10 update, Nvidia control panel will no longer adjust display.: Why after recent windows 10 update, Nvidia control panel will no longer adjust display. Reinstalled drivers, 4 different versions and stii will not control display....
  4. Display stuttering after recent update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display stuttering after recent update: Ever since the most recent update my computer has been stuttering, it happens on everything, watching a video, playing a game, moving my cursor. There seems to be no problems with my audio. I updated all of my drivers and ive been on support chats for hours. A technician told...
  5. chinese characters recent files, VLC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    chinese characters recent files, VLC: Hi this afternoon I noticed in my recent flies folders, empty fies with chinese characters like 㩃啜敳獲䭜汥楶屮潄畣敭瑮屳慭捴癨摩潥屳㠱ㄭⴰ〲㠱卜乕ぐ㄰⸰噁I먀氫㐴圀谀ɋɋ . They are sized 0 bytes. Now I did google about it, and it seemed related to VLC video player which I did use yesterday night. What I...
  6. Chrome & Edge are not displaying text on some websites properly

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome & Edge are not displaying text on some websites properly: Hello! I've been running into a text display issue with my browsers. When I go to a certain website (eg:www.nationstates.net), all it displays is just a weird arrangements of letters, numbers and symbols. This was from Chrome, and the same issue persists in Edge. At first,...
  7. What Unicode characters can be used in Win .txt files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What Unicode characters can be used in Win .txt files?: I was wondering if a superscript '2' can be entered into a .txt file with Unicode encoding. What are the special symbols that CAN be used and what are their Alt+numeric keyboard codes? Or how can I enter them? Thank you very much in advance! 79251
  8. How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?: With Microsoft Word, Wordpad and Notepad running in XP and Win7, you could type any unicode character by typing its number followed by Alt+X. For example, you could type ≠ by typing 2260AltX. This doesn't work in Wordpad or Notepad running in Win10; it seems to work in Word,...
  9. UNICODE PROBLEM no unicode.....

in Windows 10 Support
    UNICODE PROBLEM no unicode.....: there is no unicode on windows 10 help please and paint it black. 13183
  10. Some things I like about FIle Explorer ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Some things I like about FIle Explorer ...: Nothing's perfect, but I enjoyed these changes: - an option to not show libraries - options to not show recently used - the scroll wheel works just by hovering over either the nav pane or the file list regardless of which is currently selected 11635