Windows 10: Some web videos cannot be played after system cleanup

Discus and support Some web videos cannot be played after system cleanup in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My Firefox had been worked well for years. However, it cannot play media on some websites any more after a system cleanup weeks ago (I cleared Delivery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AbyssalRock, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Some web videos cannot be played after system cleanup

My Firefox had been worked well for years. However, it cannot play media on some websites any more after a system cleanup weeks ago (I cleared Delivery Optimization Files at that time). Everything works alright on YouTube, but videos from Facebook, Twitter, Reddit cannot be played (e.g. on Twitter it just shows "The media could not be played"). H.264 support or something related to HTML5 seems missed. How to solve this problem?

submitted by /u/AbyssalRock
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AbyssalRock, Oct 13, 2020
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

video not playing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know, which video player you are using to play the video?
    2. Are you able to play the video on any other computer?
    3. Are you facing the issue with only specific video or with all the other videos?

This issue could also occur when the USB or SD card is corrupted when you have transferred the video.

Try the troubleshooting methods provided below to further narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Try a different video player.

1. Try to use a different USB to transfer the video, if you are playing it on other computer or device.
    2. I suggest you to try a different video player and check if it plays.
    3. You can also check on different device or computer.

Step: Run Windows Media player troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Copy and paste the below command and run each at a time and follow the onscreen instruction on the troubleshooter
    3. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
    4. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerLibraryDiagnostic
    5. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerDVDDiagnostic
    6. Reboot the computer and check.
    If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Oct 13, 2020
  3. Web Cam Videos not playing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to help you with this.

To assist you better, do let us know if you face any issue while playing other videos.

I would suggest you to save the files to a different location and check if it helps. Also please check if you are able to play the videos on a different computer.

For driver related issues, I would suggest you to uninstall and install the latest display driver from the computer manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Please follow the steps below to install the driver in compatibility mode.

Install driver in compatibility mode

After you have downloaded the driver

a. Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select "Properties".

b. Select "Compatibility" Tab.

c. Place a check mark next to "Run this program in Compatibility mode" and select the operating

system from the drop down list.

d. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng1709, Oct 13, 2020
  4. Some web videos cannot be played after system cleanup

Video import and play on Windows 10

Hi Russ Bristol,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you get any error message when you try to play imported videos in Windows media player?

• What is the format of the video files you try to play using Windows media player?
    Try these steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Check the file type.

Check if the file type is supported in Windows Media Player 12. You may verify the information below. The information is more or less the same except for few file types such as H.264, Xvid and DivX video codecs, AAC audio<sup></sup>
    and 3GP, MP4 and MOV container formats that are natively supported by WMP 12.

Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992/

Step 2: Download and install codec.

If the file type is supported by the Player, make sure the codec used to compress the file is installed on your computer. Some codec’s aren't supported by the Player.

Here’s how you can check for the codec of the file.

To do this, follow these steps in Windows Media Player 12:

• Determine whether the codec is installed on the computer that you are using to play the file. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. In the Now Playing area, right-click the file that you are trying to play, and then click
    Properties.

b. Click the File tab, note the codecs that are specified in the
    Audio codec and the Video codec areas, and then click
    OK. If the following condition is true, go to step 2.

No video codec is specified.

c. On the Help menu, click About Windows Media Player.

d. Click the Technical Support Information hyperlink.

e. Determine whether the video codec that you noted in step 1b is listed in the Video Codecs area. If the codec is not listed, go to step 2.

f. Try to reinstall the codec. If you cannot reinstall the codec, go to step 2.

g. Try to play the file. If you can play the file, go to step 3.

2. Install the codec.

To do this, follow the below steps:

a) If you receive an error message when you try to play the file, click
    Web Help. If you do not receive an error message when you try to play the file, go to step 3.

b) On the Microsoft Web site, click the link to the Wmplugins Web site. If this link is not present, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

c) Try to play the file. If you can play the file, skip step 3.

3. Obtain the codec from a external vendor. For information about your hardware manufacturer, visit the following Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors/en-us

If your file format you have downloaded/imported is not supported in Windows Media Player. However use your favorite search engine to search for the application that converts the file to the format that Windows Media player supports.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

Some web videos cannot be played after system cleanup

1. Some web videos cannot be played after system cleanup - Similar Threads - web videos cannot

2. Can't play some .MOV videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't play some .MOV videos: I’ve been playing .MOV videos on Windows for about 20 years with whatever default program was provided. Now Windows 10 won’t play .MOV files taken before Sept 2010. But it plays .MOV files taken after Sept 2010. The default app is Movies & TV, which displays a “Can’t play:...
  3. Can't play some .MOV videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't play some .MOV videos: I’ve been playing .MOV videos on Windows for about 20 years with whatever default program was provided. Now Windows 10 won’t play .MOV files taken before Sept 2010. But it plays .MOV files taken after Sept 2010. The default app is Movies & TV, which displays a “Can’t play:...
  4. Videos online cannot be played after system reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos online cannot be played after system reinstall: Hi Team, I have just reinstalled windows 11 on my laptop after encountering issues due to partitioning disk space. So now with this reinstalled system, i am not able to play any of the videos online. This problem only occurs when i click into the video page i.e. when i am at...
  5. Videos online cannot be played after system reinstall

Videos online cannot be played after system reinstall: Hi Team, I have just reinstalled windows 11 on my laptop after encountering issues due to partitioning disk space. So now with this reinstalled system, i am not able to play any of the videos online. This problem only occurs when i click into the video page i.e. when i am at...
  6. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  7. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  8. About WIN10 cannot play the web video and app music Youtube, twitter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    About WIN10 cannot play the web video and app music Youtube, twitter: Hello there,I am using a desktop with Windows 10 operating system. Every time when I wake up my computer from sleep, I cannot play Youtube videos or other online videos on the Internet even if it is buffered. The problem is resolved after restarting the computer, but if the...
  9. Some of my videos cant play

Some of my videos cant play: When I play any of the videos from Movies and TV, it cant play and return to error 0x800705aa! so can you pls tell me what causes this and how to fix this annoying error without trying a different video player pls help! Here is a screenshot for the stupid problem:...
  10. microsoft edge not playing videos in some web pages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    microsoft edge not playing videos in some web pages: I am using windows 10 and Microsoft edge for my web experience and have done so for some time now. everything worked fine up until a couple of weeks or so, ago. now, when viewing some websites that have videos in the content, some of those videos open up and after it...