Windows 10: Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes

Discus and support Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; from what research i've done, i suspect this might be a font issue, but i have yet to find a solution that works for me. so, some of the Windows icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AvesPanthera, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes

from what research i've done, i suspect this might be a font issue, but i have yet to find a solution that works for me.

so, some of the Windows icons are showing up as boxes/rectangles/squares.

Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes 96c8cbcd-cf16-4a27-ae49-7a7c10bcffb8?upload=true.png

this is a brand new PC (just bought the parts after my old build died), fresh Windows 10 install, not much on it. i installed a bunch of fonts that had been on my old hard drive (without giving it too much thought since they were fonts i had installed on my old system without issue). now i'm getting the issue with the squares in several places (including Snip & Sketch which i don't have a screenshot of).

Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes 783a9b75-9aa5-4a70-b115-eea3c18b0723?upload=true.png

i've tried sfc /scannow (which found issues but wasn't able to repair all of them, but said it repaired them after running a successful DISM command). i've tried clearing both the font and icon cache. i've tried the "Restore default font settings" button in Control Panel. i even did a repair install of Windows 10.

so far, nothing has worked. i found a download for a zip file of Windows 10 default fonts (linked by a volunteer mod on this forum) but when it was installing the fonts before i got a BSOD--not sure the fonts are what caused it but it makes me a bit wary to try again. though i'm pretty close to nuking all my fonts and reinstalling from that folder since i'm getting pretty frustrated.

i'm willing to try any other possible solutions. help is very much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

:)

AvesPanthera, Jul 22, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

Search Box Reduced to Magnifying Glass Icon

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings to show the search icon.

• Right click on the search bar

• Click on search

• Check show search icon
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Arul_D, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Jul 22, 2019
  4. Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes

1. Some Windows 10 Icons Showing as Boxes - Similar Threads - Icons Showing Boxes

2. Why are Icons not showing on the windows search box?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are Icons not showing on the windows search box?: This happens for all the icons that show up when I look up apps like Calendar, Calculator, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-icons-not-showing-on-the-windows-search/b34f39ba-df68-4289-9ae8-5fd7750b6ef3
  3. Why are Icons not showing on the windows search box?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are Icons not showing on the windows search box?: This happens for all the icons that show up when I look up apps like Calendar, Calculator, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-icons-not-showing-on-the-windows-search/b34f39ba-df68-4289-9ae8-5fd7750b6ef3
  4. Why are Icons not showing on the windows search box?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Some Icons Not Showing in Windows Search

in Cortana
    Some Icons Not Showing in Windows Search: As far as I know right now, this is happening with three apps. Zoom, Razer Cortex, and Razer Synapse. When I search for them, I don't see their actual icons, just the default Windows app icon. While I can still open the apps from Search even though they don't show their...
  6. Windows 10 Search Box result showing old icons.

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Box result showing old icons.: Windows 10 Search Box Result shows old icons for all apps. When apps No matter Microsoft Store apps or third-party apps get updated and get new icon, their icons refreshes everywhere except Search Box result. Tried Rebuilding search index, resetting Windows Search, Resetting...
  7. Some Windows 10 apps show the wrong icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some Windows 10 apps show the wrong icon: Some, not all, app icons in the start menu & taskbar are wrong, they are showing the Paint 3D icon instead Examples of affected apps are Evernote, Calculator, and the Windows Store app It's been happening for a while. I've tried restarting my machine and reinstalling apps...
  8. In WIndows 10 some icons are shown as boxes

In WIndows 10 some icons are shown as boxes: I am facing this in my windows 10 after updating to ver 1909 some of my icons are shown as boxes [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-10-some-icons-are-shown-as-boxes/fc208cc1-f0f9-457e-ba17-91deac687ace
  9. it is showing boxes like icons in some places on my windows but not showing the real icon

it is showing boxes like icons in some places on my windows but not showing the real icon: it is showing these type of boxes in many websites as well please help as cant se the icons and font please help [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-is-showing-boxes-like-icons-in-some-places-on/6b05ddd0-5f9f-4b7b-b982-abad5a46d4e5
  10. Icons not showing in Windows Search Box on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Icons not showing in Windows Search Box on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Icons help a user to select a file or identify that file. Both the complexity and visual appearance of the software goes down when these icons are not present. Some users have been facing this issue. They are reporting that [...] This post Icons not showing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 error edge icons are boxes

2. why icons in windows 10 showing like boxes

3. Edge window icons appearing as empty boxes.

4. some icons cannot been seen windows 10,
  5. boxes instead of icons in settings windows 10