Windows 10: Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address

Discus and support Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a microsoft account with the *****@outlook.com suffix that I have been using for years. Someone opened a microsoft account with my gmail address... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nekkros, May 13, 2023.

1. Nekkros Win User

Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address

I have a microsoft account with the *****@outlook.com suffix that I have been using for years. Someone opened a microsoft account with my gmail address *****@gmail.com and I am concerned it might be used for fraud. I'd like to claim ownership on the Microsoft account using my gmail email address, but not sure how. I can easily prove that I own this email, if anyone sends an email to it I receive it. However the account recovery questions have been filled out by someone else, so there is no way for me to prove that I own the account. How can I prove ownership over this account considering I own

:)

Nekkros, May 13, 2023
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Unauthorized Emails from my account?

It is more than likely that your email account was hacked, either by a virus sniffing your password, or just simply hacked.

Either way, change your password on your email account. Unfortunately the damage by already be done. They already have your contact list and your email address associated with that contact list. There is nothing stopping them from sending out emails using their own SMTP servers to everyone on your contact list and claiming the emails are from your email address. They don't actually have to have access to your yahoo account or even any yahoo server to send emails to people that come from your address.

newtekie1, May 13, 2023
  3. MT Alex Win User
    Unauthorized Emails from my account?

Embarrassingly, everyone on my email list received spam originating from my account, which is Yahoo based. A scan with MSE found two trojans, a Java/Rowindal.A and a Downloader:Java/OpenStream.W.

Are these the source of my unwanted email traffic? Would someone opening this email be infected with the same problems? Could there be more dangerous underlying threats.

Hell, I have quite a few high dollar clients in my list. I always treat people's addresses like they were unlisted numbers, and don't send frivolous "Hey how are ya" junk. This is mortifying.*Eek! Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address :eek:

MT Alex, May 13, 2023
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

change email address for Microsoft account

Hi Keith,

To better understand the concern, we’d like to know the following information:

• Are you trying to change the email address while retaining the information you have on the Microsoft account?
    • On which Microsoft platform are you trying to change your email address (Xbox account, Outlook account, Community Forum)?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Mayra Aqu, May 13, 2023
Thema:

1. Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address - Similar Threads - Someone opened Microsoft

2. Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?: I am sure an email I received about suspicious activity log in related to a Microsoft Account using my email address was a potential fraud and I binned it straight away.But can someone open such an account?If so, is there a way to prevent it?Thanks...
  3. Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?: I am sure an email I received about suspicious activity log in related to a Microsoft Account using my email address was a potential fraud and I binned it straight away.But can someone open such an account?If so, is there a way to prevent it?Thanks...
  4. Can someone open a Microsoft Account using my email address?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address: I have a microsoft account with the *****@outlook.com suffix that I have been using for years. Someone opened a microsoft account with my gmail address *****@gmail.com and I am concerned it might be used for fraud. I'd like to claim ownership on the Microsoft account using my...
  6. Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address

Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address: I have a microsoft account with the *****@outlook.com suffix that I have been using for years. Someone opened a microsoft account with my gmail address *****@gmail.com and I am concerned it might be used for fraud. I'd like to claim ownership on the Microsoft account using my...
  7. Someone is using my email address.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Someone is using my email address.: Someone is using my email address. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/someone-is-using-my-email-address/fe811341-8930-40c1-928c-7e083447756a
  8. Someone is using my email address.

Someone is using my email address.: Someone is using my email address. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/someone-is-using-my-email-address/fe811341-8930-40c1-928c-7e083447756a
  9. Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Someone opened a Microsoft Account with my email address: This isn't really a Virus-Malware question, but there was no category for Microsoft Account. Yesterday I received an email asking me to verify my email address on a new Microsoft Account with a link to click to verify the address and a different link to cancel. I did not open...
  10. Someone else is using my email address as an alias on their Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Someone else is using my email address as an alias on their Microsoft account: When I first set up my Microsoft account, I used an email account I had from a paid service k****@j********.net. When Gmail launched, I set up a Gmail Account for backup use *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, but I never added it to my Microsoft account. A few...