Windows 10: Someone with extensive registry knowledge (shift disabling numpad)

Discus and support Someone with extensive registry knowledge (shift disabling numpad) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Argh, took me forever to figure out what was causing this. I use displayfusion and have the prevent deactivation function bound to the insert key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by klepp0906, Jun 26, 2017.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Someone with extensive registry knowledge (shift disabling numpad)

Argh, took me forever to figure out what was causing this. I use displayfusion and have the prevent deactivation function bound to the insert key. Worked wel enough for years now.

The problem begins when I try to use my razer naga mouse in games and bind key combinations. The 10 key on the mouse corresponds to numpad 0.

I need to be able to bind shift+that key. Every time I pressed shift+that key it would toggle the "prevent deactivation" in displayfusion and I couldnt figure it out. I thought it was some kind of default shortcut in displayfusion or something.

Turns out, holding down shift disables numpad. In doing so it reverts the mouse 10 key from numpad0 to its non numpad state which is (you guessed it) insert.

I believe via my convoluted research a means exists to modify this behavior via registry but thats well above my paygrade.

Anyone know what key needs to be deleted or modified?

:)

klepp0906, Jun 26, 2017

2. i have to hold down both shift keys to get a capitol letter

i recently spilled water onto my laptop computer and my numpad 1 key started to spam. due to that i installed keymapper and disabled the 1 key, it still happened. now i have this issue where i have to hold down both the left shift and right shift key in
    order to get a capitol letter. help please

TonySmith4, Jun 26, 2017
  3. P.W.'s using shift + number key pad

Try using the Alt+NumPad keys for what you are thinking of. Not "Shift" and "number keys" must be from a real Numeric keypad.

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Jun 26, 2017
  4. Hydrate Win User

What recognizes the Shift key as a trigger to disable numpad? This is not a normal Windows setting.

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    It does that for my laptop too. With NumLock turned on the shift key turns off the effect of NumLock while it's pressed. Apparently it's always done that - certainly did back in 2004....

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/old...06-00/?p=37953

...and not just in Windows, Ubuntu too.
    [ubuntu] shift switches numlock actions

It's been the bane of gamers the world over.
    shift numlock game - Recherche Google

6. Hydrate Win User
    Well the only solution is to use a program known as AutoHotkey and disable the Windows outputs of the Shift key and have it run constantly while in game.

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  7. klepp0906 Win User
    Sounds like it's time to look into that then. Is it fairly simplistic or? Last I recall AHK requires some scripting and my coding knowledge is beyond minimal.

klepp0906, Jun 29, 2017
  8. hawkman Win User

Frequently had the problem where numlock was OFF, on start-up

the registry value to enable it is 2 -- mine was 10 digits long something like 21474870
    i just cleared the other 9 digits hey presto numlock ON
    You obviously want it that way

reg key is
    HKEY users >> default >> control panel >> keyboard >> keyboardIndicaters > value

Roy

note known good value creating this is 2147483648
    (memory pretty good for the off the top of my head first listed value

hawkman, Jun 29, 2017
  9. klepp0906 Win User
    Will give that a try first and see if it forces/keeps it on even when shift is depressed *Smile

Ty!

klepp0906, Jun 29, 2017
  10. Hydrate Win User
    You need less than minimal to figure out the coding language which is not an issue. Let's see if the registry fix works.

Hydrate, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Someone with extensive registry knowledge (shift disabling numpad) - Similar Threads - Someone extensive registry

2. shift plus numpad windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shift plus numpad windows 11: I like to use the numpad to make custom macros but if i set them up using shift for gaming then when i press shift and numpad 4 it keeps turning me left in game and i was wondering is there a way to disable this...
  3. shift plus numpad windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shift plus numpad windows 11: I like to use the numpad to make custom macros but if i set them up using shift for gaming then when i press shift and numpad 4 it keeps turning me left in game and i was wondering is there a way to disable this...
  4. Knowledge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Knowledge: Does microsoft package gets deleted after we update windows 10 to windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/knowledge/47b6ddcf-e815-4d2d-9429-1b4bf19ae824
  5. Numpad controls mouse and I can't disable it.

Numpad controls mouse and I can't disable it.: Hi!I was doing my regular thing when all of a sudden my numpad stopped working. I thought my keyboard was broken but then I noticed that it's moving my cursor when I press the keys. I thought I must have accidentally enabled Mouse Keys somehow but Mouse Keys is disabled....
  6. Disabling the ability of toggling numpad by pressing shift key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling the ability of toggling numpad by pressing shift key.: I have recently discovered that by pressing shift key, you are capable of temporarily switching numpad modes from numbers to Home/End/PgUp/PgDown and arrow keys. Despite shift toggling the keypad being quaint, I have never used or needed this and it is bothersome as I use my...
  7. Disabling the ability of toggling numpad by pressing shift key.

Disabling the ability of toggling numpad by pressing shift key.: I have recently discovered that by pressing shift key, you are capable of temporarily switching numpad modes from numbers to Home/End/PgUp/PgDown and arrow keys. Despite shift toggling the keypad being quaint, I have never used or needed this and it is bothersome as I use my...
  8. How do I disable certain shift right keys on registry?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable certain shift right keys on registry?: Today, Shift right key has been fall out, other keys on my keyboard, it can't be pressed anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-certain-shift-right-keys-on/236dad9a-1e8a-43a2-a85c-46ad5175edf0
  9. Numpad lock getting disabled all the time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Numpad lock getting disabled all the time: I am so pissed and annoyed with the behavior of my HP notebook. This model doesn't have an LED to indicate if the Numpad is activated or not. It's extremely frustrating how often it's getting disabled at start-up, it's hell. I know there is a setting in the BIOS, it's set...
  10. Browser extensions disabled

in Browsers and Email
    Browser extensions disabled: I use various browsers on my computers associated with the different uses I put them to. On my Windows 10 machine, every time I launch Firefox, I find all of the extensions I have installed have been disabled. I have to re-enable them in settings and relaunch the browser....