Windows 10: Something changing internal hard drive to read only...

Discus and support Something changing internal hard drive to read only... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1023) Hi all. Perhaps my google skills aren't good enough but I've found lots of posts on how to change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HowardWoodard, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Something changing internal hard drive to read only...

Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1023) Hi all. Perhaps my google skills aren't good enough but I've found lots of posts on how to change the drive/volume attributes back to r/w but nothing on what might be changing the drive(s) to read-only in the first place. I have 4 internal drives. C: (NVMe), D: (SATA HDD), E: (SATA HDD), and X: (SATA HDD). For several years I have run disk cloning software every Sunday night [after midnight] to copy C: to X:. About 6 weeks ago my weekly backup failed with an error that the device was read-only. When I checked, I found that the primary volumes on all 4 drives were set to read-only. No recent changes, other than normal WIN10 updates, came to mind and I couldn't discern anything in the clutter of the event log that showed the attributes being changed. I used DISKPART to change everything back to r/w. I use this PC only sporadically so I can't say for sure when things happened, only when I noticed them. About a week later I noticed that the destination drive (XSomething changing internal hard drive to read only... :) was set to read-only again. Again, I changed it back to r/w and everything worked properly. Then, a few days later, I noticed that the D: drive was set to read-only, and after looking around and finding nothing obvious, I, again, used DISKPART to change it back to r/w. The D: drive is not involved in the weekly cloning, nor is there anything I'm aware of that might be accessing it in the background. Today, I noticed that the D: drive was once more in read-only mode. I set it back and am now hoping that someone on this forum might be able to help me sort through the event file and find what is changing the drive/volume attributes. Btw, I have run SFC and Windows Defender scans and nothing was detected. I also downloaded MalwareBytes and scanned with it -- again, nothing was found. Anyone have any familiarity with this particular issue? Thanks in advance, Howard Redmond, WA

:)

HowardWoodard, Jun 6, 2021
  2. jdmdriv3n Win User

Change permission to internal hard drive and now cannot access it.

Windows 10

I changed the permission to a second internal hard drive. My exact steps:

1. right click hard drive

2. properties

3. security tab

4. Selected Users from the "group or user names:"

5. Selected deny for "read and execute", "list folder contents", and "read" under "permissions for users"

6. clicked ok

Now I do not have access to the hard drive as administrator or the guest account.

When checking the security properties in an effort to change my mistakes, I see the following.

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object"

clicking advance says

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object. click continue to attempt the operations with administrative permissions"

clicking continue says

"you do not have permission to view this objects security properties, even as an administrative user. To try to take ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its properties, click change above"

I don't want to cause anymore damage, if anyone can help me, it would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

jdmdriv3n, Jun 6, 2021
  3. No drive found on my internal hard disk on Dell Latitude E5430.

Hello,My laptop (Dell Latitude E5430) was working perfectly till yesterday. But yesterday night, it restarted on its own and ever since, it's stuck at this screen:

Something changing internal hard drive to read only... [​IMG]

Also, inside the BIOS, no UEFI bootable hard disk drive is being listed.

The UEFI flash disk option shown above is that of my bootable pen drive with Windows 10 installation copy.I googled this issue a bit and the results were as follows:
    1. one thread suggested that I should run Dell's internal diagnostics to see if there anything wrong with hard disk. I did that but every component, including the hard disk one, passed these internal test.
    2. a second thread suggested that I should try to remove and reseat the hard disk. I did that following Dell's user manual.
    3. another thread suggested that I should reinstall my windows 10 afresh. But when I try to do so, the windows installation wizard doesn't list any drive in the hard disk. It's as if it doesn't detect hard disk at all.
    In a nutshell, while the hard disk is being detected, but none of its drives is. However, the hard disk consisted of 3 drives:
    1. C: with the windows' and applications' installations,
    2. D: with all of my data,
    3. E: which was recovery drive.
    Any troubleshooting suggestions?I'm sorry I am not able to help you guys with any logs and stuff because I don't know how to get them when I can't get my Windows to boot. I'm not even sure if this is the correct section where I should be posting this thread.. I'm just so confused right now. *cry

A few weeks ago, I had upgraded (not fresh installation) from windows 10 version 1607 to 20H2. The version 1607 installation was a clean one (from scratch, after formatting the hard disk and creating new partitions).

Ten64BitUser, Jun 6, 2021
  4. Something changing internal hard drive to read only...

Internal hard drive

I have an internal hard drive, that I installed over a year ago. It is no longer listed in "This Computer. " It is only a year or 2 old. before I replace it is there a way to look for it in file management. Maybe a windows update changed a setting?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC]

ChuckCarter_903, Jun 6, 2021
Thema:

Something changing internal hard drive to read only...

1. Something changing internal hard drive to read only... - Similar Threads - Something changing internal

2. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  3. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  4. 2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update: hi, recently updated windows with an update it was showing as needed- now the 2nd hard drive i have installed is showing read only and i can't save anything to it. in properties its showing read/write correctly for all users. but disk mgmt shows the drive as read only...
  5. Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903: I have been a windows user since the late 80s where building pcs was once very complicated. I was even part of TechNet which I sadly miss. I over the years have seen every type of issue, bug, change and easily made a work around. This time, Im clueless. Normally when a file...
  6. External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk"

External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk": Hello, I was able to fix one of my hard drives with a simple step, hopefully, I can fix another! I have a WD Easystore HDD that has a lot of good graphic design material I can't lose. However, when I plug it in, the File Folder freezes up, and Disk Management hasn't loaded...
  7. All partitions on my hard drives are read only

All partitions on my hard drives are read only: All partitions on my hard drives are read only. Any new Folder I create is automatically read only. I have checked security permission and all users have full control. When I click on a folder and remove the check in the read only box and apply, the system goes through the...
  8. Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive

Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive: Hello folks. I have Windows 10 and cannot change the "Read-only" setting for my files on my external hard drive. I've come across the issue because I'm trying to edit music in iTunes. Every time I unclick the Read-Only attributes in General Settings, it runs through all...
  9. Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  10. Internal Hard Drives Became Read Only

Internal Hard Drives Became Read Only: I recently discovered that all files and folders have become read only on both my internal drives and i don't know why. Furthermore any attempt to change them back has no effect. I have tried changing the user permissions and ensuring i have admin privileges but none of this...