Windows 10: Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU

Discus and support Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey, I've had some problems with my computer recently. Specifically: -My computer runs at essentially "full capacity" at most times, with my CPU... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by FurryMonkey5, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU

Hey, I've had some problems with my computer recently. Specifically:

-My computer runs at essentially "full capacity" at most times, with my CPU going at 100% whenever I am not checking on it through task manager, at which point the percentage drops suddenly, as if something was hiding from it.

-I've tried factory resetting essentially a clean install, removing all my other files, upon which near completion the process suddenly stops with an "unknown error" and boots back up to login screen.

-I've tried scanning with Defender, with which the quick scan will work, but full scan and offline scan never complete and corresponding logs never get produced

-I've tried using trusted 3rd party resource monitors, which some have been able to generally locate where the virus is from but can never find the .exe or file running it.

I'm usually pretty careful with stuff, so I'm pretty convinced it's a virus. Perhaps an invasive cryptominer or something. Could I get some help?

:)

FurryMonkey5, Feb 5, 2021
  2. Jeroen HD Win User

Windows Defender - high CPU and disk usage

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've taken all steps you suggested. This is the outcome:

• Add a process exclusion

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I added both a path and a process exclusion now.The task scheduler for
    • Defender looks like this for me:

Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU 500e27c6-8f11-48d6-9b5f-12b278352fcf.png

• It seems no Defender tasks have run since June 30th, yet the process continues to hog the CPU
    • I re-ran SFC /scannow. SFC could not find any integrity violations
    • I tried disabling behaviour monitoring. The setting did not persist across a reboot, and turning it off did not make a difference while my system was still running.

This was the output for Powershell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-MpPreference | findstr "Behavior"

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : True

PS C:\Windows\system32>

• Scanning for viruses and leftover antivirus software. This was interesting (yet unfruitful):

Neither Kaspersky nor Emisoft could find any threats. MalwareBytes did find 5 executables in my temp folder, although Virustotal.com reported no danger for the files. This could mean it's a false positive, but I removed all traces of them anyway.

It also found two installers (PUPs) for a Spigot toolbar, I removed those as well. They probably came with some free software package, I try to prevent installing toolbars.
    • In installed AVG Anti Virus (the free version). When I rebooted after the installation, Defender was still running and taking up 25-30% of my CPU. I disabled Defender using the Group Policy editor and the service finally stopped.

AVG works for me, but like most free anti virus programs it's full of ads and "free offers" and fishy SSL/TLS interception ("web protection").

I'd like to keep using Windows Defender because it's neatly integrated into Windows 10, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't show annoying ads.

I hope anyone can suggest another way to fix this weird Windows Defender problem.

Jeroen HD, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU

Antimalware Service Executable taking up high CPU for several hours!

No, it usually did not for me either, until today.

Posting system specs is a little off-topic, because my problem is that even though I do this step:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nder-antivirus

- The Antimalware Service Executable still runs high. I have a pretty good CPU and this has never been a problem until today.

My computer is neither new or old. It was installed 1½ years ago. I never had any problems until today.

I did this step:

That "note" is my problem... it still scans, and it is still scanning while I am writing this.

I already set the Exclusions to the Windows Defender path. Did not work either.

philosopher, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU

1. Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU - Similar Threads - Something interfering Defender

2. SearchHost.exe is taking up the majority of my CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SearchHost.exe is taking up the majority of my CPU: Hello, for about a week now, I haven't been able to figure out why SearchHost.exe is using up my CPU. I believe I have a virus and I don't know what to do, as when I end the task, it immediately restarts. I've looked up numerous tutorials and reset my computer many times, but...
  3. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Something is interfering with network connection: I feel like something is interfering with my PC's network connection. I have Verizon FiOS, so I have plenty of bandwidth 700 Mbps, yet my streaming HBO, FiOS keeps stalling and buffering. Some web pages load slowly. Also, after booting and waking, it takes about a full minute...
  4. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something is interfering with network connection: I feel like something is interfering with my PC's network connection. I have Verizon FiOS, so I have plenty of bandwidth 700 Mbps, yet my streaming HBO, FiOS keeps stalling and buffering. Some web pages load slowly. Also, after booting and waking, it takes about a full minute...
  5. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Defender taking up 50% CPU All the Time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender taking up 50% CPU All the Time: [ATTACH] I think I have tried everything, from simply turning off live protection, to deleting automated scans in the task scheduler, to adding a entry called DisableAntiSpyware in the registry editor. I have checked for software updates and security updates. I have...
  7. Windows Defender interfering with WinRAR

Windows Defender interfering with WinRAR: So I'm trying to store 60GB worth of data into a .rar file. I'm looking at task manager right now, and I see both WinRAR and "Antimalware Service Executable" (of Windows Defender) both having around the same disk usage, with total disk usage for that disk at 100%. Is Windows...
  8. Something interfering with Stylus functionality

Something interfering with Stylus functionality: Hello everyone. I am having an issue that is almost driving me to the edges of insanity. In short, I have a resistive stylus that I use to make notes on OneNote. The stylus operation is very simple, it needs to physically make contact with the screen with a certain amount of...
  9. Malwarebytes interfering with Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malwarebytes interfering with Defender: - In my experience YES! Problem started when suddenly my computer won't run Defender and when I tried turning it on, a message says: Anti virus is being managed by your system administrator. Could not even update defender definitions.I tried to uninstall Malwarebytes in Apps...
  10. Something is taking up RAM?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Something is taking up RAM?: Hi!! Im having a problem that something is steadily using up more and more of my computers memory as I use it. I haven't even been using it for more than an hour today before having to restart it because 90%+ is being used on something that I just cannot find. Just now...