Windows 10: something is blocking my internet connection at startup

Discus and support something is blocking my internet connection at startup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 (upgraded from windows 8.1) running on Lenovo Z50. Several times a week, something blocks my mobile internet connection at start up. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Abstemious, Dec 19, 2017.

1. something is blocking my internet connection at startup

Windows 10 (upgraded from windows 8.1) running on Lenovo Z50.

Several times a week, something blocks my mobile internet connection at start up. This usually lasts 5 or 6 minutes. The internet icon on the task bar has a yellow triangle with exclamation mark; and when I click the icon, my router (I think) is recorded as "secured" but "not connected".

This becomes very infuriating as I can't connect but I can see from Freemeter and Glasswire programs that something is uploading very slowly about 12 kB/s.

What is causing this and how can I stop it.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

:)

Abstemious, Dec 19, 2017

2. something is trying to install at startup

some prog is trying to install everytime i start my nokia n95

it says something like

cannot install prog from mass memory

i have no idea what it is

any ideas as to how to get rid of

thanks dan

dan44762000, Dec 19, 2017
  3. grschinon Win User
    something is trying to install at startup

This is absolutely characteristic of third party applications and themes installed to the mass memory.

Use the application manager to uninstall them completely, then reinstall them in the phone's central memory. The problem should disappear.

grschinon, Dec 19, 2017
  4. something is blocking my internet connection at startup

Hi Abstemious

Is this happening when your machine awakes from sleep?

One thing to quickly check is power management for the device. Head to device manager, right click adapter, properties, power mgmt tab, remove check mark "Allow the computer to shut of device to save power".

Also in advance power mgmt make sure Wireless is set to maximum for both battery and plugged in.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 19, 2017
  5. Good day, Ken.

No it is not after a wake up, it is after a cold boot in the morning when I switch the laptop on. I use a 'dongle' for my wireless mobile internet. The dongle shows that I have full internet connection.

Abstemious, Dec 19, 2017
  6. Okay, then could be issue with Fast Startup.

As a quick test you could disable Hibernation which in turn will disable Fast Startup.

Right click Start, then either Command Prompt(admin) or powershell(admin) enter this command

powercfg -h off

Test a couple of times. To reverse, enter the command but use the word on instead of off.

If this works you can then try disabling Fast Startup by itself. Turn hibernation back on using command and then disable Fast Startup using this tutorial ...

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 19, 2017
  7. MrHudson Win User
    Also in Power Options, click change power plan, look for change advanced power plan, on Network open it up and change it from balance to performance.
    I had similar problem, be connected with warning symbol, it was switching network adapter from IPv4 to IPv6. once I changed the advanced power plan to performance, it quit.

MrHudson, Dec 19, 2017
  8. something is blocking my internet connection at startup

Hi Ken, can't get the powercfg -h off to work:
    "Unable to perform operation. An unexpected operation (0x65b) has occurred. Function failed during execution.
    I am working in my admin account.

Mr Hudson, I've now turned to High Performance.

I knew I had a screen shot of Glasswire from 13 Dec last. Here it is (if I manage to upload it - got it!)
    As you can see, only 3 apps or processes have connected, I haven't even tried to open my browser yet. In my uneducated opinion, the problem has to be with one of these 3 services/processes/apps.

Thanks for your help so far.

something is blocking my internet connection at startup [​IMG]

Abstemious, Dec 20, 2017
  9. Okay then just use the tutorial to shut of fast startup.

Look at the IP address 169.254. You are not going to get access until you get a valid IP from your DHCP server (router)

What is the IP address when things are running properly?

Have you tried power cycling your router? Any chance this is a new router or have changes been made within router recently? (service call from Telco).

Have you tried disabling avast?

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    You may be in an admin account, but that doesn't mean the command prompt is admin by default. That is the error you see if you don't use a Command Prompt (Admin). Try again in an elevated command prompt.

11. Thanks for your help, guys.
    When starting the laptop this morning it took 2 mins 33 secs to boot fully - usually it takes 42 secs so I guess that fast startup has got disabled.
    Not issue with blocked internet this morning - it usually only happens once or maybe twice a week.
    I will go for a week unless the issue happens first.

Abstemious, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

something is blocking my internet connection at startup

1. something is blocking my internet connection at startup - Similar Threads - something blocking internet

2. Internet does not connect at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet does not connect at startup: When I start my laptop and log on to the desktop screen, my internet doesn't connect for about 30-40 seconds. This causes that all the applications that I have open at the beginning do not work correctly and the tabs that I have pinned in my browser are not connected to the...
  3. Internet does not connect at startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet does not connect at startup: When I start my laptop and log on to the desktop screen, my internet doesn't connect for about 30-40 seconds. This causes that all the applications that I have open at the beginning do not work correctly and the tabs that I have pinned in my browser are not connected to the...
  4. Internet connection slow on startup

Internet connection slow on startup: Around 10 months ago I noticed that my wife does not automatically connect on startup which is annoying as many of my programmes like steam and Skype now attempt to run before my computer is connected to the internet. After about 3 minutes it then does automatically connect...
  5. Internet connection blocks everything.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internet connection blocks everything.: Hello, Since a few weeks now I have an issue with my wireless internet connection. After a few minutesmore or less depending on the usage my internet connection will stop and the networks panel will indicate “no network found”, the task manager will be frozen,the setting...
  6. Internet doesn't connect on startup

Internet doesn't connect on startup: This has been happening to me recently and I don't know why. It's not a huge inconvenience, but it is annoying and I want to figure out how to fix it. When I boot my pc and log in to the desktop screen, my internet will not connect for about 30 seconds. This makes it so all...
  7. No Internet connection at startup.

No Internet connection at startup.: After my PC sat unused for about a month, the Internet no longer automatically connects at startup. My ISP confirms what the lights on the modem/router indicate that the signal is being properly received. The modem/router manufacturer performed a cursory hardware check and...
  8. Something Consume My Internet Connection Excessively

Something Consume My Internet Connection Excessively: Hello. First, sorry for my terrible English. I have problem with my connection. I got higher ping than usual, more than 240 (i checked with CMD), but when i check Task Manager there are no apps that consume my bandwith excessively. I try to check the connection with my...
  9. Internet explorer trying to open something on startup

in Browsers and Email
    Internet explorer trying to open something on startup: I do not have internet explorer set to start, but whenever my laptop turns on after being shut down it opens up between 3 and 7 windows and tries to reach a specific address before saying "this site could not be reached". Also, on a side note, there is a message box that also...
  10. Block child's internet connection

in Windows 10 Support
    Block child's internet connection: Hello ! I'm looking for a way to block internet connection of a child. So no more servers in minecraft, no more browsing the web, only the local stuff should be available. Thanks. 22325