Windows 10: Something is broken. Won't load properly, won't restart...

Discus and support Something is broken. Won't load properly, won't restart... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, Windows 10 Pro on my laptop. Been using it since it came out with no problems. All of a sudden today everything has gone to heck. Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Kelemvor Win User

Something is broken. Won't load properly, won't restart...

Howdy,

Windows 10 Pro on my laptop. Been using it since it came out with no problems. All of a sudden today everything has gone to heck.

Windows 10 will boot up to the desktop but I can't open most things. Start menu doesn't work, can't open a browser, can't view Services or Task Manager. I CAN right click the start menu and use some things in there, I can open the Run box and Windows Explorer.

If I try to restart I just get the yellowish restarting screen that just sits forever.

I went into Safe Mode and killed the SoftwareDistribtion folder since many sites mentioned Windows Updates maybe being corrupted but that didn't make any difference either.

I also tried using a restore point but that just sat with the little window saying "preparing to restore your system" and never moved on past that.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what else to check. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kel

:)

Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015
  2. mrnodoz Win User

Broke user profiles

Windows 10 computers connected to Server 2012 R2 domain. After some recent update over last couple months something seems to have broken profiles. It seems creating a new user or editing an existing user's info corrupts the profile. For example, if I create
    a new user and go log into this new users account two things seems to happen: either account automatically logs out and does enter desktop at all or it loads up but not everything works properly. Task bar and start menu are broken and certain apps won't load.
    Hope this makes sense and any assistance will be great.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Hello, lock screen & sign-in

mrnodoz, Nov 23, 2015
  3. OwenHunt Win User
    A horrible problem with Windows 10 Task Bar and Task manager

Alright, I really need help with this.

I've tried a lot, I've made new accounts, restarted the computer plentiful times, and tried many other suggested solutions.

Nothing works.

So, my taskbar won't load properly. It's there, but it gives the loading circle and it's like it won't respond. I try to open up task manager, but it always says "Is not responding"

On other accounts restarting windows explorer doesn't help at all; I still get the same issue.

Can someone help at all? Please?

OwenHunt, Nov 23, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

JohnC, Nov 23, 2015
  5. Slugger Win User

Slugger, Nov 23, 2015
  6. Kelemvor Win User
    So I basically just redo the upgrade again the same way I did it the first time? I'll give that a try first and if nothing else I'll just wipe and reimage everything.

Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015
  7. JohnC Win User
    Yes , remember to disable 3rd party AV or security programs before you start.

JohnC, Nov 23, 2015
  8. Kelemvor Win User

Well, I got as far as "Checking for updates" and it's just been hanging for quite a while. *sigh* Might have to look into installing from scratch I guess.

Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015
  9. JohnC Win User
    Internet problems, hopefully it will complete.

JohnC, Nov 23, 2015
  10. Kelemvor Win User
    Well, no internet problems on my side since I'm posting here and working from home without issues. *Wink I'll just let is sit until morning if I need to.

Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015
  11. Kelemvor Win User
    Is there any way to get to the built in Windows 10 reset page via a Run command? I can't click my Start button or open Ctrl Panel from the right-click menu. Figured I'd give that a try if I could before I just wipe the whole thing.

Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015
  12. JohnC Win User
    Try typing settings in the search box. Settings >windows update & security >Recovery > Reset this PC. will get you there

JohnC, Nov 23, 2015
  13. Kelemvor Win User

I can't use the search box or the Start menu. Can't click Start and can't type in the search box. *Sad

Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015
  14. Kelemvor Win User
    I do have a ton of errors in the System event log. I'll google some of those in case they point anywhere. Hopefully it's not a hardware problem...

Kelemvor, Nov 23, 2015
  15. JohnC Win User
    Can you open Action Center? (by the clock) you can get to settings from there.

JohnC, Nov 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Something is broken. Won't load properly, won't restart... - Similar Threads - Something broken Won't

2. Won't restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Won't restart: So I got my laptop tablet a few years ago. Today it froze so I restarted and not all I get is black screen with words that don't mean sense. I keep holding power button and nothing. I saw this being a issue. So I have to file a lawsuit against the company?...
  3. Won't restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Won't restart: So I got my laptop tablet a few years ago. Today it froze so I restarted and not all I get is black screen with words that don't mean sense. I keep holding power button and nothing. I saw this being a issue. So I have to file a lawsuit against the company?...
  4. Won't restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. User won't load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User won't load: Hello, this issue happened to me yesterday and today as well. I turned my laptop on in the morning as I would always do, then logged into my user. It took some time to load then loaded a black screen with the mouse cursor movable. All I could do is run task manager using...
  6. Picture won't load

in Windows 10 Customization
    Picture won't load: When I try to use a certain picture for Lock Screen,it will not load. I go to Lock screen and click picture .It brings up my pictures and I select a picture and click choose picture .It tries to load .I get the circle icon that shows its trying to load but it never does .Is...
  7. PC won't restart properly after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't restart properly after Windows updates: TL;DR: Windows does an update and I restart it using Start->Restart. PC appears to shutdown (monitor, kbd and fan off), but PC power light still on. Never restarts. Must power down manually and power up manually, then it's fine until the next update. DETAILS: I have a new PC...
  8. BSOD when restarting, and certain programs won't load.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when restarting, and certain programs won't load.: This is a fairly new computer, about three months old. Everything seemed fine until I installed the 1903 update. When it went to restart, I got a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error. It wouldn't reboot by itself so I had to power off and back on. Afterwards everything worked...
  9. PC won't shut down or restart properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC won't shut down or restart properly: Hi, I recently installed a new CPU and motherboard and my computer won't shut down or restart properly. I've installed most of the drivers, with the exception of the Intel Management Engine driver. However, in device manager it shows that I already have it installed, so....
  10. Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly: My laptop won't shutdown or restart properly, I am using a docking station and when I undock the laptop it seems to restart/shutdown properly but when I restart/shutdown with it docked, it doesn't restart/shutdown properly and always goes into a mode like sleep mode. How do...