Windows 10: Something is preventing PC from idling to sleep. How can I identify it?

Discus and support Something is preventing PC from idling to sleep. How can I identify it? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Got a problem: my PC won't idle to sleep. But I've narrowed it down to the following: Using a Powershell script that calls win32.userinput, and a ten... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ian_539, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Ian_539 Win User

Something is preventing PC from idling to sleep. How can I identify it?

Got a problem: my PC won't idle to sleep.

But I've narrowed it down to the following:

Using a Powershell script that calls win32.userinput, and a ten second loop, I can watch the idle time and last user input time. What this shows is that if I stop typing / moving the mouse, the idle count starts to increment as you would expect. Until it gets to around five minutes and fifteen seconds, and then it resets to zero. There will then be a second occurrence of this after another five minutes, but not a third at least not always.

How can I figure out what causes this? I would like to remove it.

I've tried disabling every HID in device manager leaving just either the mouse or keyboard but that makes no difference

I've tried this in SafeMode with the smallest set of Microsoft services it would allow but it still happens

Every driver is up to date as far as I can tell

The install of windows is clean, from about ten days old v2004

I've checked the event viewer but can't see anything

I've checked Task Scheduler for something that has a trigger of idle and a wait of five minutes but can't see anything

:)

Ian_539, Jul 26, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in

Hi, as I said, predicting the relevant event id's for a restart that occurred for unknown reasons is not straightforward. Try searching for 'What is the event id for a restart' for example, and you'll see what I mean.

I can only suggest you inspect the events around the period of interest , looking for a log off, shut down, restart... and if necessary using the link I posted to identify them. Trying to work out why a PC restarted just from the event viewer could be extremely time consuming, depending on the number of events.

If you're lucky and there are few, then it may be feasible to discover something.

First you'd need a list in time order - note that if you simply open the Event Viewer, the reports are categorised,which make tracking something through time impossible. as you know the time period, you could try this:

Something is preventing PC from idling to sleep. How can I identify it? [​IMG]

But easier is to get this free program (title top left) which lists events in order:

Something is preventing PC from idling to sleep. How can I identify it? [​IMG]

Much easier: look at your update history for that day: does it show an update being applied? If so, what is it? Does that update require a restart?

dalchina, Jul 26, 2020
  3. My pc is going to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity

Hi Sebastian,

Your PC might be set to sleep once it is idle for 5mins. For you to adjust this setting, we suggest looking into the
    Power Options advanced settings. Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click on Power Options.
    • On your Preferred plans, click Change plan settings.
    • Click Change advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep and System unattended sleep timeout.
    • Set how many minutes you want your system to be left idle before it goes to sleep.

Let us know how it turns out.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Jonas Flo Win User

Bluetooth still on while idle

Thanks for following the steps. Now, the settings won't take effect if you are only using normal PC idle mode. Normal functionality of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are to stay connected even if PC is idle. With the settings that you have created, we would
    suggest that you set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or
    Hibernate
    once idle. In this way, the settings "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should take effect.

To set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or Hibernate when idle, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel, set view by: Small
      icons.
    • Look for Power Options.
    • Click on Change when the computer sleeps on the left pane.
    • Set a timer.

Please try it out. Hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Something is preventing PC from idling to sleep. How can I identify it? - Similar Threads - Something preventing idling

2. How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?: I need to run a program, unattended, for a number of hours. Despite attempts to keep the computer awake using a new Power Profile, after 15 minutes the computer either goes to sleep or hibernates. What can I do to keep my computer awake? Why are settings ignored in the Power...
  3. How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?: I need to run a program, unattended, for a number of hours. Despite attempts to keep the computer awake using a new Power Profile, after 15 minutes the computer either goes to sleep or hibernates. What can I do to keep my computer awake? Why are settings ignored in the Power...
  4. How can I prevent my pc from shutting everything down and going into sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent my pc from shutting everything down and going into sleep mode?: I use a number of small Windows 10 and 11 PCs to run various game servers for my friends group. The problem is when I'm away, there is a good chance that when I come back, the software I was using will all be off and my pc will be in sleep mode with me having to login to get...
  5. How can I prevent my pc from shutting everything down and going into sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent my pc from shutting everything down and going into sleep mode?: I use a number of small Windows 10 and 11 PCs to run various game servers for my friends group. The problem is when I'm away, there is a good chance that when I come back, the software I was using will all be off and my pc will be in sleep mode with me having to login to get...
  6. How can I prevent my PC from restarting after I wake it up from 'sleep' mode please?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent my PC from restarting after I wake it up from 'sleep' mode please?: I have an HP Z420 Workstation PC which automatically receives updates. 2 or 3 days ago, when waking it from 'sleep', which I do every night to save time in the morning, it restarts itself for no apparent reason. I've tried resetting power settings and Googling to try to find...
  7. MoUsoCoreWorker.exe prevents PC from sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MoUsoCoreWorker.exe prevents PC from sleeping: Windows 10, 64-bit, 2004 PC is refusing to sleep, even when I press the power button. Start menu -> Power -> Sleep/Hibernate does not work either -- screen went black but came back in a few seconds. > powercfg /requests EXECUTION: [PROCESS]...
  8. Update Orchestrator Service prevent idling PC from sleeping

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Orchestrator Service prevent idling PC from sleeping: Windows 10 Pro, 2004 It won't go into sleeping mode after idling time set in the power plan. I have been trying to find out what happens. One time I notice this service I think it showed up in powercfg /lastwake. I run Update and made all is up to date. Then let the PC...
  9. How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?: Hi, I have a bit-locker protected USB drive. It's set to always be unlocked when attached to my main desktop PC. After I waking from sleep the drive shows as locked in My PC: [img] If I double-click it I get this message: [img] However if I right-click the drive...
  10. How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?: Hi, I have a bit-locker protected USB drive. It's set to always be unlocked when attached to my main desktop PC. After I waking from sleep the drive shows as locked in My PC: [img] If I double-click it I get this message: [img] However if I right-click the drive...