Windows 10: Something is wrong with my file explorer, there seems to be no ribbon or any way to make it...

Discus and support Something is wrong with my file explorer, there seems to be no ribbon or any way to make it... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Lebensmude95 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Lebensmude95, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Something is wrong with my file explorer, there seems to be no ribbon or any way to make it...

/u/Lebensmude95, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Anne Fuj Win User

File Explorer Ribbon or Tool Bar

Hello,

We understand that you want to keep the ribbon open in File Explorer.

There are ways on how to achieve this. Here are some of it. Kindly check the methods below:

Hide or show the Ribbon using a Registry tweak

• Open Registry Editor.
    • Go to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

If this key does not exist, just create it.
    • Create or modify the 32-bit DWORD value named ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized. explorerribbonstartsminimized

Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
      • To start Explorer with the Ribbon always minimized, set the ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized value data to 3.
      • To start Explorer with the Ribbon always maximized, set it to 4. Delete the ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized parameter to restore the default behavior.
      • Delete the ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized parameter to restore the default behavior.

Using a Group Policy tweak, you can force Explorer to always start with the Ribbon minimized.

• Press Win + R keys together on your keyboard.
    • The Run box will appear. Type the following in the Run box and then press Enter:
      • gpedit.msc
    • In the left pane of Group Policy Editor, navigate to the following path:
      • User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ File Explorer
    • Now locate the setting called Start File Explorer with Ribbon minimized in the right pane and double click it. The policy configuration window will open.
    • Set the option to the "Enabled" state and pick the option below it which is suitable for you.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anne Fuj, Jul 2, 2020
  3. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not being able to see picture thumbnails is a pain. I turned thumbnails on for the Pictures folder only and the never ending green ribbon is back. Possibly a related problem: with thumbnails off (or on) if I left click on a video file in the Videos volder, file explorer hangs and I have to end it with Task Manager.

I have heard that by ending the dllhost.exe process/service, the green ribbon goes away, but so does W10 security and stability.

Suggestions on how to fix are appreciated.

Without a properworking File Explorer, W10 is not really a suitable OS.

Graywuhllf, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Something is wrong with my file explorer, there seems to be no ribbon or any way to make it...

Windows 10 File Explorer no longer shows Search ribbon during search

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with the file explorer search ribbon. This is really unusual, as we have tried to reproduce the issue but was not able to get anything. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply
    with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

However, we would suggest you to perform these methods and let us know the outcome.

Method 1: Reset file explorer to default.

1. Open file explore and select on View tab from the top ribbon.
    2. Click on Option and select Change folder and search option.
    3. In the new window select the view tab and click on Restore Default tab below
    4. Click OK and re-launch file explorer.

Method 2: New user account

Check in new user account. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account and check if you are facing the same issue with the file explorer.

We await your response,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Something is wrong with my file explorer, there seems to be no ribbon or any way to make it...

1. Something is wrong with my file explorer, there seems to be no ribbon or any way to make it... - Similar Threads - Something wrong file

2. File Explorer Ribbon / Menu Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Ribbon / Menu Missing: As you can see from the inserted picture, the tab, and menu or ribbon do not show on File Explorer. This is an intermittent issue, and sometimes clears up if I close and restart File Explorer, and sometimes I have to restart the computer.I have done a clean reinstall of...
  3. something wrong with search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    something wrong with search in File Explorer: I usually using search in file explorer, file name and content inside files. Since this early morn, the result show only folder can't search in file name or file content anymore. Try using troubleshooter, it's detect "windows search is not working" then fixed it, but the...
  4. File explorer - any way to make more readable

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer - any way to make more readable: Hi folks Is there any way to make file explorer more readable with better fonts etc -- just compare Windows XP and current W10 virtual machines -- IMO the XP one is a zillion times more readable etc. [img] Cheers jimbo 173857
  5. Something seems to be wrong with my graphics driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Something seems to be wrong with my graphics driver?: I've already tried to reinstall drivers and uninstall the device, however this problem still arises, I am not sure what the problem is anymore. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. File explorer ribbon missing

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer ribbon missing: I am on windows 10 build 2004. For some reason, my explorer ribbon is just missing. I looked through a few old forum posts on here, but they suggest opening the drop down menu at the top, which is also somehow missing for me. Attached a screenshot. Any help would be...
  7. File Explorer ribbon is blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer ribbon is blank: [ATTACH]A couple days ago after Windows did an update, suddenly the Ribbon in File Explorer is always blank. Have done few more updates, hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't. Also started in Safe Mode, and it the issue is still there....
  8. Something seems wrong in my file structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Something seems wrong in my file structure: Using robocopy to back up my boot drive I got literally thousands of errors like this 2020/04/02 05:15:05 (0x00000020) Copying File C:\Users\devon\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application...
  9. The ribbon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    The ribbon in File Explorer: Has any one figured out how to take the system tab off the ribbon in File Explorer? 28956
  10. Something seems wrong with my start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Something seems wrong with my start button: Its been getting like this and doesn't always work correctly when I click it Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Anyone know what causes this? 87487