Windows 10: Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing

Discus and support Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage. The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Leezinho, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Leezinho Win User

Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing

I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage.
    The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five data files.
    I send all seven to a compressed (zipped) folder, so the user needs to download only one thing.
    I upload the .zip folder to my webpage.
    A user informed me of a bug: a certain (unlikely) move by the user crashes the program.
    I corrected the bug: the program no longer crashes on my machine.
    I package the new (corrected) .exe file, with the others, in a new .zip folder and upload it.
    I download the .zip folder, unpack it, run the program, do the unlikely move, and it still crashes.
    Is this caused by the packing/unpacking? No, if I pack just the .exe file, upload, download, and unpack it, it runs without the bug.
    I insert a message to appear when the program first loads, just to be sure I'm dealing with the right version (I pack, upload, download, unpack), and ooops!, that message fails to appear.
    Can you guess from this summary where the corrected version of the program is getting replaced by an older, defective version?

:)

Leezinho, Jul 2, 2018
  2. Darian Tab Win User

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Jul 2, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Jul 2, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

COMPRESSING Drives

Definitely, not only does every file have to be decompressed before use, but the decompression and compression on every file access adds system overhead. The compression is smart enough to not compress the most commonly used OS files, but it still gives a pretty big hit on performance.

newtekie1, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing - Similar Threads - Something lost compressing

2. lost downloads

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost downloads: Where are my downloads??? Windows did an automatic upgrade 3 days ago; and now everything that I download to save is gone (IE: pictures, screenshots, etc.) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/lost-downloads/3d35f0fb-e655-4b9a-8282-ea33f9b75ed2
  3. Unable to Upload/ Download files, photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Upload/ Download files, photos: I am using Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series. For the past 2 months, I am unable to either download or upload any files from my laptop. What could be the problem and what should I do to rectify the problem?...
  4. Lost/Hidden/Compressed/Saved/Unknown/???/Music Folder Disappeared

Lost/Hidden/Compressed/Saved/Unknown/???/Music Folder Disappeared: I was saving it to One Drive (9/2017) and OD failed. The folder vanished and I cannot find 99% of my music. It's gone. Where? You see I think that it is stuck in a rouge partition on my drive still. Tried Microsoft yet when givin access the tech just did stuff that I did 20...
  5. When downloading something why there is no choice for "save as"?

in Browsers and Email
    When downloading something why there is no choice for "save as"?: I noticed when I try to open some attachments, I get downloaded and then opens. I am not presented with a choice as in the other OS; "Save As". Am I missing some thing in here? Regards 12254
  6. Something foiling my ISO download

in Windows 10 Support
    Something foiling my ISO download: Slow connection trying to download ISO overnight. I'm trying to figure out what's foiling my ISO download using Firefox Down Them All. I set Sleep, HD, Hibernate and Display timeouts to Never in Power Options. I disabled the Lock Screen and Password, which also disabled...
  7. Unstable download/upload speed

in Windows 10 Support
    Unstable download/upload speed: Hi Im a livestreamer on Youtube my current speeds are 11,5mb down and 5,5up, im the only one connected to the internet and I always drop a lot of frames (only during the day) when its night like +2am it drops 0 frames and its very stable . heres a picture of a 5,000 bitrate...
  8. "Something Happened" error after downloading

"Something Happened" error after downloading: I was downloading Windows 10 32-bit using the Media Creation Tool to my 16 GB pendrive which is empty. Right when it reached 100% it displayed "Something Happened". I found the temp file which I believe it downloaded, its called BIT52D1. Is there any way to salvage this file...
  9. I lost 12G of something

I lost 12G of something: My 8.1 system partition had 48Gb+ of data on it. After installing Windows 10 and cleaning up, it's down to just a little more than 36Gb. After checking out all the installed programs and their settings, there's apparently nothing wrong. I even checked to make sure the drive...
  10. Limit OneDrive Download and Upload Rate in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Limit OneDrive Download and Upload Rate in Windows 10: Shawn, Is this a new setting in the latest insider version? My OneDrive settings window has the following tabs: [img] Sorry for the small image....couldn't make it larger. In case you can't read the image, the tabs are Settings, Account, Auto Save, Office, and...