Windows 10: Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing

Discus and support Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage. The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Leezinho, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Leezinho Win User

Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing

I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage.
    The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five data files.
    I send all seven to a compressed (zipped) folder, so the user needs to download only one thing.
    I upload the .zip folder to my webpage.
    A user informed me of a bug: a certain (unlikely) move by the user crashes the program.
    I corrected the bug: the program no longer crashes on my machine.
    I package the new (corrected) .exe file, with the others, in a new .zip folder and upload it.
    I download the .zip folder, unpack it, run the program, do the unlikely move, and it still crashes.
    Is this caused by the packing/unpacking? No, if I pack just the .exe file, upload, download, and unpack it, it runs without the bug.
    I insert a message to appear when the program first loads, just to be sure I'm dealing with the right version (I pack, upload, download, unpack), and ooops!, that message fails to appear.
    Can you guess from this summary where the corrected version of the program is getting replaced by an older, defective version?

:)

Leezinho, Jul 2, 2018

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Jul 2, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Jul 2, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

COMPRESSING Drives

Definitely, not only does every file have to be decompressed before use, but the decompression and compression on every file access adds system overhead. The compression is smart enough to not compress the most commonly used OS files, but it still gives a pretty big hit on performance.

newtekie1, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing - Similar Threads - Something lost compressing

2. Newly downloaded files not compressing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newly downloaded files not compressing: Apparently since 7/15, newly downloaded files saved from Firefox into a compressed folder are not automatically compressing.It is the folder I use for archiving Calibre updates, and I save the old updates because I never know when they are going to discontinue updates for a...
  3. Newly downloaded files not compressing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newly downloaded files not compressing: Apparently since 7/15, newly downloaded files saved from Firefox into a compressed folder are not automatically compressing.It is the folder I use for archiving Calibre updates, and I save the old updates because I never know when they are going to discontinue updates for a...
  4. Newly downloaded files not compressing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Failed to decompress the archive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Failed to decompress the archive: I am trying to install a Epson ET2710 printer , my printer shows it is connected to the Internet but my PC with Windows 10 keeps giving me the error message Failed to decompress the archive. I have loaded Winzip and ran it through the administrator but still the same message...
  6. Compressing large files and uploading to Dropbox questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressing large files and uploading to Dropbox questions.: Hi, not too sure this post fits this page. I have an old laptop which uses Windows 10. I have a large 44Gb file with tones of separate different files inside it. There's some sort of file upload limit to Dropbox so I thought I'd compress my thousands of files within files...
  7. PC stutter when uploading something

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC stutter when uploading something: Hello, i want to know why my pc stutters as soon as i start uploading some files to websites like filemail.com for example ? i usually do some light work in lightroom or after effects while i upload but my pc has 64gb ram so i don't think it should be like this. Has anyone...
  8. Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff

Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff: Hello, I have accidentally checked the box for drive compression in the disk cleanup tool. I tried to go on drive, properties and uncheck the compression box, but many files are still compressed because they were opened during the process (system files) and when I install...
  9. Downloads being compressed

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloads being compressed: Every thing I download in my C: drive seems to be getting compressed and has 2 blue arrows facing each other on the shortcut.How do I stop this 130405
  10. Specific folders keep getting automatically compressed even after I decompress them

Specific folders keep getting automatically compressed even after I decompress them: I noticed a few days ago that the "two blue arrows" appeared on all the icons on my desktop, which I found out stand for NTFS compressed files. I then checked the whole C drive and noticed that a few folders, namely "Documents", "Desktop" and "AppData" (all in my user's...