Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing

Discus and support Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage. The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Leezinho, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Leezinho Win User

I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage.
    The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five data files.
    I send all seven to a compressed (zipped) folder, so the user needs to download only one thing.
    I upload the .zip folder to my webpage.
    A user informed me of a bug: a certain (unlikely) move by the user crashes the program.
    I corrected the bug: the program no longer crashes on my machine.
    I package the new (corrected) .exe file, with the others, in a new .zip folder and upload it.
    I download the .zip folder, unpack it, run the program, do the unlikely move, and it still crashes.
    Is this caused by the packing/unpacking? No, if I pack just the .exe file, upload, download, and unpack it, it runs without the bug.
    I insert a message to appear when the program first loads, just to be sure I'm dealing with the right version (I pack, upload, download, unpack), and ooops!, that message fails to appear.
    Can you guess from this summary where the corrected version of the program is getting replaced by an older, defective version?

:)

Leezinho, Jul 2, 2018
  2. Darian Tab Win User

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Jul 2, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Jul 2, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

COMPRESSING Drives

Definitely, not only does every file have to be decompressed before use, but the decompression and compression on every file access adds system overhead. The compression is smart enough to not compress the most commonly used OS files, but it still gives a pretty big hit on performance.

newtekie1, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing - Similar Threads - Something lost compressing

2. I can't make shortcuts for somethings

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't make shortcuts for somethings: I have been trying to make short cuts for a few things it goes to my desktop but when i go to use it the short cut isn't there, what can I do to fix this? Thank you 114567
  3. My computer freezes when I try to install something

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer freezes when I try to install something: So, basicly, today I wanted to update my game called Fortnite, and when it was installing, i was just watching some YouTube, and then all of a sudden, my computer froze, and all I could do is move my mouse... Nothing was responding, Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't work ect.. So I...
  4. "Something went wrong" when trying to save photos from video in Microsoft Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Something went wrong" when trying to save photos from video in Microsoft Photos: I have videos supplied to me by a diving contractor in .avi format. When i open them with the Microsoft Photos app, click Edit & Create > Save Photos, an error message pops up after i pick the save destination and click the save button. The program then creates an empty...
  5. Upgrade Surface Pro something went wrong and BitLocker code required, do not know that I...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Upgrade Surface Pro something went wrong and BitLocker code required, do not know that I...: Upgrade Surface Pro something went wrong and BitLocker code required, do not know that I ever seen this code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/upgrade-surface-pro-something-went-wrong-and/9d9d3ff9-9297-4897-be44-be0a158a0709"
  6. "something wrong when loading the dc_wff.dll"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "something wrong when loading the dc_wff.dll": "something wrong when loading the dc_wff.dll" massage flashes immediate after start up. RUN command as suggested did not work. Command Prompt also did not work. Please Help....
  7. Something is hijacking my mouse and keyboard

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something is hijacking my mouse and keyboard: It all started when my cousin says her laptop goes crazy like when you use mouse or keyboard, the keys don't work as intended like sometimes the "something" intentionally enters the wrong output and then sometimes it bootloops. I looked online and saw some very interesting...
  8. Why does Groove Music think it's sharing something?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Groove Music think it's sharing something?: Most of the time when I try to close Groove Music it pops up a box warning me that it's "sharing". I did not ask it to "share" anything. I do not want it to "share" anything. There are no settings which are obviously applicable to this....
  9. Issues with something called Cowherd on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with something called Cowherd on Windows 10: We have been trying to get rid of something called Cowherd without success. It keeps appearing constantly and every time we try to end task, four or five more Cowherd open. How can we permanently get rid of this for good? Thank you...
  10. I lost 12G of something

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I lost 12G of something: My 8.1 system partition had 48Gb+ of data on it. After installing Windows 10 and cleaning up, it's down to just a little more than 36Gb. After checking out all the installed programs and their settings, there's apparently nothing wrong. I even checked to make sure the drive...