Windows 10: Something nasty in my tech preview

Discus and support Something nasty in my tech preview in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have had a copy of the technical preview since the beginning, using WD and the free Malwarebytes with no problems up till last night. My home page on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tinmar49, Sep 27, 2015.

1. tinmar49 Win User

Something nasty in my tech preview

I have had a copy of the technical preview since the beginning, using WD and the free Malwarebytes with no problems up till last night. My home page on Edge is Sky.com which has my email and news, and I was looking through the many news items when a "warning " popped up. "PLEASE CONTACT MICROSOFT LIVE TECHNICIANS", and a UK phone number, (020)3805 0592 (toll free). The website was tekharmor.com. The browser was locked, no way to shut it down except shutting down or restarting the pc. After restarting the pc the malware was still there. Another restart later, I ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender without anything being detected. The tech preview is about to be scrapped and a fresh load put on the pc, I will not be held to ransom by these b*****ds.

:)

tinmar49, Sep 27, 2015
  2. KenMoffat Win User

Windows 10 upgrade installed. Taskbar frozen. Task Manager will not load. No Sound. Sluggish opening progs.

Me too. On my first upgrade attempt from Win10 tech preview I had the frozen taskbar and cortana. Critical error reported. I reinstalled and the problem seems fixed, but it has reappeared. I will try the clean boot solution, since the sfc /scannow suggestion
    did not help.

This problem is appearing with some frequency. I suspect a nasty bug, and hope a fix will be forthcoming!

KenMoffat, Sep 27, 2015
  3. memory probs n93

Hi yes this is the same on my N93, the gallery display is ok and the slideshow is really nice, but the preview after the pic is taken is really nasty looking.

Dan

danielwest---01, Sep 27, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Yeah, unfortunately Edge does not support extensions yet, and it sounds like you may have been served an infected ad (very common these days). Malwarebytes Antimalware Free is not an "active" protection. The paid version probably would have prevented this from happening. Their Anti-Exploit helps in these situations a bit. Also CryptoPrevent.

Solved Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know - Windows 10 Forums

Hate to see you quit the Insiders program over this! *Smile

simrick, Sep 27, 2015
  5. tinmar49 Win User
    Thanks, Simrick, I have no intentions of leaving the insider program yet. Currently, I have a problem with the replacement, see "what have I installed?" in installation and setup.

tinmar49, Sep 27, 2015
  6. Matth79 Win User
    Just got caught by these scum, though I've got used to dealing with these.

I'd say it's a browser locker, comes from a malicious ad.

Browser can be closed by using task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL etc.).

But when you re-open, it opens the same tab again!

DO NOT re-open the browser directly, do something that will open a new tab (easy if you use Cortana) - the offending tab will now be inactive, and then you can close the browser (close all tabs) - now you're clear!

Matth79, Oct 1, 2015
  7. dencal Win User
    Disconnect computer from internet, restart computer, delete offending page, then reconnect to internet.

dencal, Oct 1, 2015
  8. DTG1 Win User

You can change that behavior in settings. Smart money is to always closing all tabs on shut down while opening to a secure home page

DTG1, Oct 4, 2015
  9. dencal Win User
    If page is locked it is not possible to access Settings, Task Manager or have any control over mouse.

dencal, Oct 4, 2015
  10. Borg 386 Win User
    Suggest you run this program to try to terminate the malware process that may be blocking your attempts at removal. Do NOT reboot after running this program. Once this program is run, scan with your malware scanners to see if they show up & can be removed.

RKill Download

Other programs you could run would be AdwCleaner & JRT, which are good at dealing with adware.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Borg 386, Oct 6, 2015
  11. azasadny Win User
    I would recommend running ADW Cleaner, followed by Malwarebytes Premium. I clean this junk off PC's every day and these two tools have not let me down yet...

azasadny, Oct 6, 2015
  12. ije71 Win User
    There is no need to install any software or run any scans with these things, simply ctrl alt del and end edge browser, open word pad and type Google or any other web address, click on it and when asked if you want to open the link click yes and edge will open on the address you typed and you can now take pleasure in killing the offending tab.*Smile

ije71, Oct 8, 2015
  13. simrick Win User

Well, that may solve the problem of opening the browser, but you really have no idea what was "dropped" on the computer during the attack, so I think scans are an important part of this.

simrick, Oct 9, 2015
  14. ije71 Win User
    Nothing is "dropped", its just a script from an advertisement. It's also a bit difficult to install adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, hitman pro ect. on the affected system when they don't have access to the browser on that system. This gives them their browser back to install as may cleaners as they like so feel free to scan away, better safe than sorry I suppose but if it was clean before it will be clean after.

ije71, Oct 11, 2015
  15. simrick Win User
    Sorry, but I disagree. Matter of fact, I have personally cleaned computers infected by malicious ads.

Malvertising - Wikipedia

Malvertising is a fairly new concept for spreading malware and is even harder to combat because it can work its way into a webpage and spread through a system unknowingly: "The interesting thing about infections delivered through malvertising is that it does not require any user action (like clicking) to compromise the system and it does not exploit any vulnerabilities on the website or the server it is hosted from... infections delivered through malvertising silently travel through Web page advertisements." [7] It is able to expose millions of users to malware, even the most cautious, and is growing rapidly: "In 2012, it was estimated nearly 10 billion ad impressions were compromised by malvertising." [2] Attackers have a very wide reach and are able to deliver these attacks easily through advertisement networks. Companies and websites have had difficulty diminishing the number of malvertising attacks, which "suggests that this attack vector isn’t likely to disappear soon." [6]

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Something nasty in my tech preview - Similar Threads - Something nasty tech

2. Win10 Tech Preview 14385 and sysprep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 Tech Preview 14385 and sysprep: Hello, I downloaded the win10 tech preview to see if I would be able to sysprep the machine, and I was able to. Looks like Windows may have fixed the issue where Windows sees a upgrade/update as a new OS and does not allow sysprep to run. Hopefully this will also...
  3. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  4. MSAHCI in the new tech preview?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MSAHCI in the new tech preview?: I noticed a little difference in the controller after checking my SSD last night, this is on my laptop in my specs (Other info) This was a clean install of Win 7, [img] It automatically used msahci during install. This was a clean install of the Tech preview,...
  5. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  6. stop tech preview updating

in Windows 10 Support
    stop tech preview updating: hi all is it possible to stop the tech preview from updating itself to the latest release 9860 is usable for me as i run mediaportal and it is stable in 9860 9879 is unusable as mediaportal bluescreens as soon as it is opened i go back to 9860 and then in the morning...
  7. Installing 10 tech preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  8. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  9. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...
  10. Tech Preview Updates Today

in Windows 10 News
    Tech Preview Updates Today: So, does anyone know what they did? As usual, no MS info @support... [img]