Windows 10: Something (Windows 10 maybe) deletes system files and stops responding

Discus and support Something (Windows 10 maybe) deletes system files and stops responding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there ! I didn't know which subforum to post this thread in so I'm posting my issue here. It's a really weird one. I've got a pc running W10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Boogasbeowulf, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Something (Windows 10 maybe) deletes system files and stops responding

Hi there !

I didn't know which subforum to post this thread in so I'm posting my issue here. It's a really weird one. I've got a pc running W10 Pro (I7 6700k, 32gb RAM, rtx 2080 ti and several ssds) that has been running flwlessly until recently. First a couple weeks ago when I turned it on in the morning it stopped respondind after 2 min. or so with blank icons in the taskbar and I can't find this item message whenever I clicked on something. Only managed to restart it bit it wouldn't boot to windows as there were obviously some boot files missing. I thought that it might be a bad drive but ghost image restore fixed the problem and ssd monitoring software didn't flag up any issues. Yet I replaced ssd with a system partition with a new one and restored the image to the latest one. For the next couple of weeks pc ran without any issues.

Yesterday, the same thing happened. So I restored the system from image. However, this time after restore the same thing happened - system unresponsive. Attempted a lot of troubleshooting until to my suprise it turned out that it only happens when after restoriong ghost image I connect the pc to the internet - no matter, wheter it is ethernet or wifi. I thought about my router being the culprit, maybe even infected with some virus maybe. But all other computers on my home network work fine and when I just connected the mulfunctioning pc to a hotspot on my mobile the same thing happened.

I also discovered the exact mechanism of the problem. It appears that whenever after image restore I connect to the internet someting or maybe windows iteself after about a minunte or so deletes exactly 20gb of files from system partition including contents of user folder, program files and windows folder itself etc and some boot files as well. It happens no matter whch image file I use - the latest is from the 31st of December but I also tried restoring earlier backups (I use norton ghost from HIREN's boot usb on all my computers). I always leaves exactly 12.2 gb of windows content I could see that by not closing file explorer when the deletion happened and it still resided in ram so I still could browse the contents of my pc untic I closed it. Other ssd disks and partition D on the same drive remain intact. When I turn off the internet connection immedietely after restore I can use the pc for hours on end, use apps, play steam games offline etc. so I don't think hardware is at fault.

I'm completely at a loss as what to do next . I have run out of ideas and couldn't find anything on google search even remotely resembling my problem. I'm new to this forum but I know tere are may knowledgeable people here. Please help me. I would be very grateful.

:)

Boogasbeowulf, Jan 3, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 3, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Something (Windows 10 maybe) deletes system files and stops responding :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 3, 2020
  4. MohanC Win User

Something (Windows 10 maybe) deletes system files and stops responding

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Something (Windows 10 maybe) deletes system files and stops responding

1. Something (Windows 10 maybe) deletes system files and stops responding - Similar Threads - Something maybe deletes

2. File Explorer not responding Maybe symbolic link?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not responding Maybe symbolic link?: Hi Guys, My file explorer Win 11 is not responding, and I can't open any file since that. It happened maybe after I created a symbolic link for iTunes and pointed it to my external drive. Not sure it is the reason and how i can stop it?thank you Ray...
  3. File Explorer not responding Maybe symbolic link?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not responding Maybe symbolic link?: Hi Guys, My file explorer Win 11 is not responding, and I can't open any file since that. It happened maybe after I created a symbolic link for iTunes and pointed it to my external drive. Not sure it is the reason and how i can stop it?thank you Ray...
  4. System instantly stops responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System instantly stops responding.: Hello guys, I recently got the terrible problem with my pc. After playing games for a while my computer instantly stops responding to anything. Pressing keyboard or mouse is pointless. When it happens I can't do anything except pressing the turn off button. Then the strange...
  5. System instantly stops responding.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System instantly stops responding.: Hello guys, I recently got the terrible problem with my pc. After playing games for a while my computer instantly stops responding to anything. Pressing keyboard or mouse is pointless. When it happens I can't do anything except pressing the turn off button. Then the strange...
  6. File explorer - stops responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer - stops responding: Hello everybody, I need your assistance please . When i launch file explorer on my Windows 10 machine, it stops responding freezes . I have tried the below troubleshooting steps without any joy. Killed the program in the task manager, tried to relaunch again Control...
  7. File Explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer stops responding: The issue occurs when I am trying to access File Explorer using any 3rd party software. It might be Zoom, Viber or even Chrome. I have to reboot the system to start it working again...
  8. windows 10 stops responding

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 stops responding: [ATTACH] So I have malwarebytes and I don't think it's a virus issue Sometimes my computer STOPS responding completely When I hover over the taskbar icons it doesn't respond and my clicks don't work (mouse/integrated trackpad) The only fix I have now is...
  9. Windows system stops responding,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows system stops responding,: as it says up above my system littrely stops responding at times. Since i made a clean sweap to reinstall my windows 10 it updated to patch 1903. And since the update. the system is lagging like crazy i reinsralled it twice bit the same problem accur. I had no problems...
  10. Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 system stops responding, requires power cycling.: Every once in a while, the windows 10 system sort of stops responding. By that I mean, the keyboard and mouse still work and I can sort of do somethings like: - open explorer and browse each drive - start cmd from a desktop shortcut icon But there are many things I...