Windows 10: Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen

Discus and support Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; This is intermittent, and has only started in the last few weeks. If the PC is woken from sleep sometimes the monitor briefly shows the top-left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by karma mechanic, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen

This is intermittent, and has only started in the last few weeks.

If the PC is woken from sleep sometimes the monitor briefly shows the top-left quarter of the image, then after a second or two blinks and shows it all correctly. The graphics is via the Intel HD Graphics 4600 with up-to-date drivers, the monitor is a Dell U2713H. PC is on 1909.

Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen [​IMG]

It doesn't do it every time, but to get the pic I simply pressed 'sleep', waited a few seconds and then wiggled the mouse. The part of the desktop shown is the correct size and scaling, just missing the other three quarters... It always sorts itself out within a few seconds.

Any ideas welcome.

Edited to add that the part-image is actually 40% of the total horizontal width, and perhaps just over 50% of the total height it should be. The full image is 2560x1440.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated after some experimentation...

I had Firefox open with tenforums, maximised.
    I pressed the sleep button, let it settle then wiggled the mouse, and I got this:

Note in the above the top right corner where it says 'open menu', the cursor must have been on the options menu in Firefox when I pressed sleep. But on this screen the cursor is shown in the middle. It shows all the desktop this time, but if the desktop is the only thing showing then it only shows a quarter of that.

The after a second or two it changed to this, the correct display:

Very odd.

:)

karma mechanic, Jan 29, 2020

2. Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen

This is intermittent, and has only started in the last few weeks.

If the PC is woken from sleep sometimes the monitor briefly shows the top-left quarter of the image, then after a second or two blinks and shows it all correctly. The graphics is via the Intel HD Graphics 4600 with up-to-date drivers, the monitor is a Dell U2713H. PC is on 1909.

It doesn't do it every time, but to get the pic I simply pressed 'sleep', waited a few seconds and then wiggled the mouse. The part of the desktop shown is the correct size and scaling, just missing the other three quarters... It always sorts itself out within a few seconds.

Any ideas welcome.

Edited to add that the part-image is actually 40% of the total horizontal width, and perhaps just over 50% of the total height it should be. The full image is 2560x1440.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated after some experimentation...

I had Firefox open with tenforums, maximised.
    I pressed the sleep button, let it settle then wiggled the mouse, and I got this:

Note in the above the top right corner where it says 'open menu', the cursor must have been on the options menu in Firefox when I pressed sleep. But on this screen the cursor is shown in the middle. It shows all the desktop this time, but if the desktop is the only thing showing then it only shows a quarter of that.

The after a second or two it changed to this, the correct display:

Very odd.

karma mechanic, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen

Preventing sleep on laptop/monitor

Hi Tricia,

In order to help you with your concern about preventing your Windows 10 not to go to sleep mode, may we request you to answer the following questions first:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer system prior to getting this issue?
    • What is the current Build and Version of your Windows 10 PC? To know these information follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R.
    • Type Winver.
    • Press Enter.
    • A small box will appear showing the current Build and
      Version
      of your PC.

(Should you need to update your PC, you may click on this
    link
    . This will also show you the update history for Windows 10.)

• Are you getting any error messages? If yes, kindly post it here.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

You may utilize the troubleshooting suggestions from the post of
    Aleksandr 10 in this thread, to remedy the
    automatic sleep that your device is displaying. This link has been helpful to a lot of Community members who had the same concern and may also be helpful in the issue at hand.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen

1. Sometimes after sleep the monitor is only showing a quarter of screen - Similar Threads - Sometimes sleep monitor

2. My printer is only printing a quarter of a page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My printer is only printing a quarter of a page: My Printer is only printing half a page* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-printer-is-only-printing-a-quarter-of-a-page/0adba4cd-eae4-4b6e-8de8-b1d501b1c270
  3. My printer is only printing a quarter of a page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My printer is only printing a quarter of a page: My Printer is only printing half a page* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-printer-is-only-printing-a-quarter-of-a-page/0adba4cd-eae4-4b6e-8de8-b1d501b1c270
  4. Monitor only shows half

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor only shows half: My monitor shows only half when I booted it today. On the bottom part all I can see is blank and nothing is in there you cant even hover the mouse or the mouse will be gone when you hover it. When booting the PC, the display shows in full but not until you get to main screen....
  5. Monitor only shows half

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor only shows half: My monitor shows only half when I booted it today. On the bottom part all I can see is blank and nothing is in there you cant even hover the mouse or the mouse will be gone when you hover it. When booting the PC, the display shows in full but not until you get to main screen....
  6. Monitor only shows half

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Dual monitors with laptop. I only use the second screen but it sometimes freezes but is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitors with laptop. I only use the second screen but it sometimes freezes but is...: The second freezes the most when I play genshin impact or games, but sometimes also when i try to use the browser. I've tried everything like, turning off hardware acceleration in my browser, reinstalling the driver... It unfreezes if I unplug the HDMI from my second monitor...
  8. Dual monitors and only 1 wakes after pc sleeps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual monitors and only 1 wakes after pc sleeps: I have an HP Power PC with an Ryzen 7 on Win 10 2004. I Recently purchased 2 matching LG monitors which work fine as a dual display setup when the PC is first started. If the pc goes into sleep sometimes only one monitor wakes again. It is not consistent which one will wake,...
  9. Printscreen only captures a quarter of the screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printscreen only captures a quarter of the screen: whenever I try to take a screenshot it only captures a quarter of the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printscreen-only-captures-a-quarter-of-the-screen/4d1b2415-6dfd-49ad-aa26-876b8f98bf08
  10. logon screen after monitor sleeps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    logon screen after monitor sleeps: I have set my screensaver to start after 7 minutes and my display to sleep after 15 minutes. The "on resume display logon screen" box is unchecked. Regardless, since the May 1903 update the logon screen appears when I resume. This is not the end of the world serious but is...