Windows 10: Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front

Discus and support Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I just upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and so far (for the most part) it's working great! The only issue I have is that some windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by compromise, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front

Hello all,

I just upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and so far (for the most part) it's working great!

The only issue I have is that some windows won't focus and stay on top when I alt-tab to it or click it, like it did in all other versions of Windows.
    For example: I have Chrome open on top, I alt-tab my music player (which is in a small window), and the music player goes in front, but when I click the Chrome in the back of the player, the player stays in front, covering parts of the screen. This happens to multiple programs I run.

Besides this issue, sometimes when I alt-tab to a program, it just doesn't even show up in-front of whatever other program I have currently on top.

Anyone else with these problems? *Huh

:)

compromise, Aug 9, 2015

2. Various Programs refuse to come to the top when I focus them

Hello,

To understand the issue better, please share the information:

• From when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run System File Checker (SFC) scan.

We run System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

• Press Windows key + X
      key, click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• In the Command Prompt, type the following command and then press
      Enter key:

sfc /scannow

If the issue is unresolved, try method 2.

Method 2: Run Deployment Image Servicing and Management command (DISM).

Let us try to run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management command (DISM).

It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available.

• Press Windows key + X key.

• Click Command Prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press
      Enter.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Nossarian Win User
    Various Programs refuse to come to the top when I focus them

It's been happening since April if I remember correctly. I made no changes to my system, one day it stopped letting me focus a program consistently.

Nossarian, Aug 9, 2015
  4. XzisT Win User

Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front

Yeah I got this problem as well. Strangely not many people seem to be reporting this problem. I've looked through all types of window options and I haven't found a solution unfortunately. I guess some smart fellow has to put together a registry hack of some kind.

XzisT, Aug 12, 2015
  5. You could try doing it this way:

Click Chrome or Music Player (which ever one you want) Lets say Music Player as an example.

Then at the Top Right Hand Side of the Screen you will see Three Little Dots (click on those three little dots) and Select 'New Window'

At which point Music Player will disappear and leave you with an Empty Browser Screen from which you can Surf other Stuff.

Not sure if it works for other Browsers but it does for Edge.

If you've put a Short Cut to Edge on the Task Bar at the Bottom of the Screen, you will see what looks like TWO Edge Shortcuts one on top of the other with a Blue Line Underneath.

Hover your Mouse on those Short Cuts and you will see TWO mini Desktops, which you can 'Hover Between'

But if you 'Click' instead of 'Hover' on either one of them, then you are able to Click or Hover between each Full Sized Version.

You can open as many of these New Windows as you like and Toggle or Click between any or all of them, while your 'Music Player' is Playing, until you choose to Shut the (Window or Mini Desk Top that it is open in)

Cyberdesigner, Aug 12, 2015
  6. I'm having the same issues. Rebooting the computer seems to fix it for a short while (half an hour, say). It doesnt happen all the time, and it gets progressivle yworse and worse as time goes on, until you reboot again. Chrome seems worse than others. The only reliable way to switch to another window is to minimise everything and then select the window I want from the taskbar.

I tried your linked fix, but that "Activate Window by hovering..." box wasn't ticked for me.

Mostly, Windows 10 has been painless, but this sporadic inability to switch windows is incredibly time consuming. It's making me miss DOS.

PlanetErrol, May 25, 2016
  7. XzisT Win User
    The issue in the end was Displayfusion. Once I turned it off everything was fine. So not a Windows 10 issue but a DF issue, at for me it was.

XzisT, May 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

The bottom option here might have that effect (if checked) depending on your pointer's position:

Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front [​IMG]

dalchina, May 26, 2016
  9. PaulaB Win User
    I'm not using DisplayFusion but I'm still having this problem. When I click to bring up a screen that I've minimised, it doesn't bring it to the front. I'm continually having to minimise all, and then bring up the one screen that I need. It's really frustrating and I haven't been able to find a solution.

PaulaB, Sep 7, 2016
  10. Bastet Win User
    Same problem here & I too am not using DisplayFusion.
    Sometimes things work while others they don't.

Bastet, Sep 7, 2016
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    I find that the focus of the window you have just opened being behind other already open Windows has been an issue in Windows 10 since the outset, especially when opening utilities like Regedit, and pop-up windows on opening from 3rd party utils like EasyBCD - that like to check the language you want to use.

It still sometimes has me scratching my head until I have closed or minimised all open windows until that elusive window in the background is visible.

Fafhrd, Sep 7, 2016
  12. Beowulf Win User
    Still no solution? I'm not running DisplayFusion either (whatever that is), and that "Activate Window by hovering..." box wasn't ticked for me.

I have 2 Chrome windows open, also Internet Explorer (or whatever its called now), Word and File Explorer. Surely there must be a way to click from one to any of the others and expect it to come to the front ....

:-(

Beowulf, Feb 10, 2017
  13. Fafhrd Win User

I've got used to it, doesn't annoy so much now. Just the flashing taskbar button that won't do anything about bringing the associated dialog to the top however many times it is clicked, no alt-tab because the dialog needs all the windows in front of it minimised or closed.

It's not just "Windows" anymore, it's windows and something else that does not multitask and does not follow the same rules that desktop windows do. Modern stuff like Settings is just a one page at a time catalogue.

For instance, if I want to check if my MS account is in need of attention if my Insider status has changed if that is what is preventing me from receiving an update, I have to open each settings page in turn then go back to the other two one page at a time, well my brain does not work like that after 27 years of being able to have more than one window open at a time and not having to close one down to get to the next.

I am afraid it's like a backwards step - worse even than MSDOS programs, where a menu could take you back and forth between different views, without the delay of going back to the dashboard to select updates, then to insider, then back again.

Fafhrd, Feb 10, 2017
  14. anticeon Win User
    What version of Win 10 you are using ??

anticeon, Feb 10, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Given the reference previously to Display Fusion - suggest you
    a. Verify this doesn't happen in Safe Mode (If so, Windows in this respect is 'ok').
    b. Try a clean boot, and see if all is well
    c. If so, progress from there and enable more until problem recurs.

I'd have to guess it's something installed on your system.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sometimes Certain Windows Refuse to Come to the Front - Similar Threads - Sometimes Certain Refuse

2. Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop: Hello,I just setup a new laptop and Phone Link is not behaving like it did on my old laptop. Previously, when I received an Android cellphone messages notification in Windows in the lower-right corner where notifications show up, I would click on the messages notification and...
  3. Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link not coming to front of Windows desktop: Hello,I just setup a new laptop and Phone Link is not behaving like it did on my old laptop. Previously, when I received an Android cellphone messages notification in Windows in the lower-right corner where notifications show up, I would click on the messages notification and...
  4. Front 3.5 jack refuses to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Front 3.5 jack refuses to work: Front 3.5 jack refuses to work after startup after I reinstalled the system. It does begin working after a reboot though. Not sure what causes it, probably an issue with drivers? I installed Realtek Audio drivers because I did not like the fact that I had to switch between...
  5. Front 3.5 jack refuses to work

Front 3.5 jack refuses to work: Front 3.5 jack refuses to work after startup after I reinstalled the system. It does begin working after a reboot though. Not sure what causes it, probably an issue with drivers? I installed Realtek Audio drivers because I did not like the fact that I had to switch between...
  6. Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it: Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it. Before I would click on a website or open a document and it would open in front. Is that a setting I can change?...
  7. Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it

Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it: Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it. Before I would click on a website or open a document and it would open in front. Is that a setting I can change?...
  8. Open windows don't come to the front, I have to close the front window to access it

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Taskbar sometimes refuses to appear

Taskbar sometimes refuses to appear: So, I have enable the option to hide the taskbar because I think it makes my desktop look much better. The problem is that sometimes I have to minimize all of my windows sometimes it works if I just minimize a specific one to get the taskbar to reappear and it's quite...
  10. Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front

Stack Order - Windows will not come to the front: Hi there, I have an issue where, randomly & periodically, new windows and existing windows refuse to come to the front when created / selected. This means I have to minimize other windows to access content stuck below them. Sometimes it's a file explorer or application,...