Windows 10: sometimes file copy takes long time

Discus and support sometimes file copy takes long time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; on my dad 7 year old laptop, some time copying a small word/pdf file of 4-5 pages takes one minute or more to copy from one folder to another this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by makhan10, Mar 11, 2021.

1. makhan10 Win User

sometimes file copy takes long time

on my dad 7 year old laptop, some time copying a small word/pdf file of 4-5 pages takes one minute or more to copy from one folder to another

this is random problem

:)

makhan10, Mar 11, 2021
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Mar 11, 2021
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Mar 11, 2021
  4. sometimes file copy takes long time

Filename too long to copy

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand how frustrating it could be when things go unusual. I will certainly help you.

We suggest you to refer the below steps and check it works:

• If you are needing to simply migrate a lot of folders from one place to another is to map a drive to the drilled own folder. Browse to the hidden share path and copy it to your clipboard.
    • Click on Map Network Drive in My PC It would appear under the tools menu.
    • Then simply paste your long path and hit Finish.
    • Now you will be able to copy the files/folders into this location without receiving that error.

Please refer the below link for reference:

Can't Delete Folder, "Destination Path Too Long" Error in Windows 7

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

sometimes file copy takes long time

1. sometimes file copy takes long time - Similar Threads - sometimes file copy

2. it takes too long to copy file from usb to PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it takes too long to copy file from usb to PC: I use the same USB that i used to install media creations to install windows 10 on this laptop, i have some backupped files in it, but when i try to copy it to the laptop itself, it takes a long time to copy because first it needs to discover to prepare to copy which takes a...
  3. Files in Explorer taking a long time to display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Explorer taking a long time to display: Similar to a question only asked very recently, my case might be the same. The problem is Explorer not displaying files for some time after selecting a folder and this seems to have happened following my recent update to Win10 21H1 although I cannot be certain. This problem...
  4. Suddenly Merge does not show up and it copies and takes a long time

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly Merge does not show up and it copies and takes a long time: Windows 10 20H2 Im trying to get organized. I have folders that I would like to merge and so normally windows will say "Destination folder has the same name would you like to merge it" But now suddenly it is wanting to overwrite everything and it wont give me that message. I...
  5. Start-MpScan takes a long long time on a small file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start-MpScan takes a long long time on a small file: A Windows forum user asked why running Start-MpScan on a file took so long. So I ran a test. I gave it a 300kb .jpg image. Powershell as Admin, Start-MpScan -ScanPath ./image.jpg and .. voom... it took 30 seconds. 30 seconds? On an i7 with 32gb and a NVidia 2xxx...
  6. File Explorer suddenly takes a long time to load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer suddenly takes a long time to load: I'm running Windows 10 OS Build 190441.867 which is the latest update. In the past 24 hours I've had to restart my PC twice because when File Explorer started up it would just show a progress bar at the top and no files. This went on for several minutes as though it was...
  7. File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10

File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10: Hi, I have an HP laptop with Windows 10. I have a recent issue that my PC takes a long time to rename files within my PC, but when I connect any other mobile devices and do the same thing there it doesn't show any effect, it just works fine and fast. When I rename any...
  8. Refresh takes long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Refresh takes long time: When I am refreshing my laptop it takes long time and other functions also do not work in that time. Please help me.what i do now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-takes-long-time/ad06e73f-0345-4a39-a9ba-f0ebf6dc5cb9
  9. Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...

Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...: As per title, Windows10 takes almost 2 minutes to open any executable file. File Explorer takes up to 3 minutes to load a folder and up to one minute whenever I right click something. Disabled most of the shell extensions that caused trouble but it still lags a lot. I just...
  10. Login takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Login takes a long time: Hi, since the fresh installation of win10 after awhile login takes a long time. I created a new user and copied all my files to that account and the problem was solved but after 3-4 Weeks it gets slower and now it almost takes a minute to login into windows. Booting is...