Windows 10: Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key

Discus and support Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello!My son is back from college this weekend and his hard drive just completely crashed on us. Completely inaccessible. This was a good excuse to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Tuttle, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key

Hello!My son is back from college this weekend and his hard drive just completely crashed on us. Completely inaccessible. This was a good excuse to just put in an SSD that we've had laying around. The SSD currently has an old image of my PC and my Windows 10. What I'd like to do is this:1 Reformat the SSD to get rid of my stuff. 2 Install Windows 10 on his SSD. We purchased his Windows 10 in 2018 from Amazon digitally. This was not an OEM version. We don't have the product key but my understanding is that since his motherboard hasn't changed, I should be able to select "I don't have a

:)

Mark Tuttle, Sep 3, 2022

2. New SSD and migrating Win 10 from main HD

i'm trying to migrate Win 10 and all my data to my newly installed SSD 240 GB HD

I got a Desktop Acer machine with one main 1 TB drive HD.

now I tried to clone Win 10 with Free macrium but looks like you need same size of HD

or need buy the full version.

Can the Free Easyup soft do the cloning of Win 10 to my new SSD ?

as a last option

or can I do a Recover and install Win 10 on the new SSD

or have to do a complete re install of Win 10 on the SSD

and then manually re install all my other programs and data?

Note: I already made a recover USB key for Win10

and made a backup of all my user area data on external drive.

thanks for any feedback

have a nice day

RickyJohn_747, Sep 3, 2022
  3. Sara1378 Win User
    I can`t activate win 10

Hi

I have a Vaio laptop with original Win 8 Home.And I updated my VAIO to 10 Home many mounth ago...

Now I change my HDD to a new SSD and then install a new win 10 home on my Vaio,but my win 10 is not active.I don`t have any product key ...

Is it possioble to active my windows again ?

Sara1378, Sep 3, 2022
  4. Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key

Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.

I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.

To install on the new SSD, would I unplug the WD 1 T HDD and install the new SSD drive on the MB and then install Win 10 on the SSD.

After the above, I assume I then reconnect The WD 1 T HDD. With the OS on the New SSD, will the apps and programs that are on the WD HDD operate or will I have to reinstall them on the new SSD As well how do I delete Win 10 from the HDD - do I simply delete the files or delete the partitions or just don’t bother. The WD HDD a was not even close to being full and was bought for faster access.

Any suggestions on how to get the new SSD to work properly and windows off the old WD HDD so it does not interfere with the new SSD would be appreciated.

Inthefairway, Sep 3, 2022
Thema:

Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key

1. Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key - Similar Threads - Son's failed need

2. Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key: Hello!My son is back from college this weekend and his hard drive just completely crashed on us. Completely inaccessible. This was a good excuse to just put in an SSD that we've had laying around. The SSD currently has an old image of my PC and my Windows 10. What I'd like to...
  3. Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Son's HD failed, need to install Win 10 on a new SSD but we don't have the product key: Hello!My son is back from college this weekend and his hard drive just completely crashed on us. Completely inaccessible. This was a good excuse to just put in an SSD that we've had laying around. The SSD currently has an old image of my PC and my Windows 10. What I'd like to...
  4. cannot enter product key after failed win 10 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot enter product key after failed win 10 install: I tried to install win 10 on my win 7 Ultimate system but it failed with an unknown error. I decided to stay with win 7 but MS deleted my OEM product key and deleted the option to enter a new product key. So I am stuck with a 'thiis copy is not genuine.'. How can I enter a...
  5. Anyone have a product key they don't need?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone have a product key they don't need?: Please help my windows is deactivated and I don't have a product key on my computer. submitted by /u/Tiversus2828 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/grzyr7/anyone_have_a_product_key_they_dont_need/
  6. New product key needed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New product key needed: My mate sold me his old laptop after he upfraded os from windows 8 to windows 10 pro. Now every time i turn on the laptop it asks for an activation key. Can i purchase the activation key on its own without buying the os software?...
  7. I don't have a product key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have a product key.: There's this annoying watermark that says Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate windows. I checked it out and it seems I need a product key which I don't have. I tried trouble shooting but it said it can't activate copy of windows, try again after connecting to the...
  8. Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key

Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key: In 2013, I installed Windows 8 Pro with a valid product key. That was upgraded to Windows 8.1, and that was upgraded to Windows 10. My hard drive crashed and I am reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from a USB drive created with the Media Creation Tool. When asked to save files, I...
  9. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question: The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions. My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. As soon as I was able to I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I really do not want to purchase a copy of...
  10. Install windows on a brand new SSD with product key

Install windows on a brand new SSD with product key: Hi, Currently I'm using windows 10 on a HDD on my desktop. The desktop used to run windows 8, but I upgraded it. (so the product key is used) Using Belarc Advisor, I got my Windows 8 product key. I have a brand new SSD here so I want to upgrade to this SSD. However,...