Windows 10: Son's Microsoft account accidently set as PC's admin owner

Discus and support Son's Microsoft account accidently set as PC's admin owner in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; We have been using a local admin login for years on this windows 10 PC. About a year ago he was logged into his Microsoft account on the Xbox app. He... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by pjea, Dec 28, 2020.

1. pjea Win User

Son's Microsoft account accidently set as PC's admin owner

We have been using a local admin login for years on this windows 10 PC. About a year ago he was logged into his Microsoft account on the Xbox app. He was suddenly presented with a popup window asking if he wanted his Microsoft email and account to be used as the local admin login account for the PC. We accidently clicked ok. Now my son's Microsoft email is tied to the local admin account for the PC. since he is a minor restrictions set on the Microsoft website apply to the PC. I have opened up permissions on the PC usage but really just want to restore the local admin login to not be tied to his Microsoft email/ account.

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎9/‎12/‎2020

OS build 19042.685

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

:)

2. Admin account appears to be in sons account now

My son was on my PC yesterday trying to login to his Microsoft account so we could watch a movie, we ended up connecting his Xbox to my TV. I am (was) the admin on my PC, there is no PW to login so when I power up the PC it used to take me directly to my Desktop. When I powered up my PC this morning it came up with a login screen with his name and a PW box. I don’t see anything to click to change account login because it’s the only account on the PC. I logged in using his account and PW. I went to Start/Settings/ Accounts/ I can see 1 account with his name, email account as Admin. First it appears to me that he somehow changed my Admin account to his information and second it looks like it’s trying to login to a Microsoft account because now it wants to verify the email on Outlook, which I don’t use.

How do I delete this account, get me back on as admin and get my PC back to no PW needed to login and goes directly to my Desktop?

razingkane, Dec 28, 2020
  3. admin settings on Win10 for PC

Hi Hamza,

Is your PC connected to a domain network?

If your are connected to a domain network and yet facing this issue, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check:

Method1:

First, I would suggest you to try switching your User account from a Microsoft account to a local account and check if the issue persists. Click on 'Settings', click on 'Accounts' and then click on "sign in with a local account' in the "your accounts' section.
    Restart the computer and switch back to a Microsoft account and check.

If the issue persists, try these steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    • Close the Powershell window
    • Reboot

Try these and let us know the results.

Bennet Martin, Dec 28, 2020
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Son's Microsoft account accidently set as PC's admin owner - Similar Threads - Son's Microsoft account

2. Owner of Microsoft Account deceased

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Owner of Microsoft Account deceased: My friend lost her husband recently and cannot access his desktop PC running Win 10. She cannot find his password book. Is there any way for her to ever access the PC? I'm not sure which category to place this question....
  3. Owner of Microsoft Account deceased

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Owner of Microsoft Account deceased: My friend lost her husband recently and cannot access his desktop PC running Win 10. She cannot find his password book. Is there any way for her to ever access the PC? I'm not sure which category to place this question....
  4. Owner of Microsoft Account deceased

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. cant verify and account "owner" instead of admin

cant verify and account "owner" instead of admin: i went in a netzwip file and changed my account from admin to owner and now i cant do any admin verify needed things like download apps I've tried updating and restarting my computer but nothing and i cant access the file any more...
  6. Admin Account deleted accident windows

Admin Account deleted accident windows: I accidentally deleted my Admin user account and now I am unable to control my pc. help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-account-deleted-accident-windows/2c13b148-c250-4567-9420-bc3ee8cdb998
  7. adding PC to son's list of devices on microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    adding PC to son's list of devices on microsoft account: Hello My whole family is listed under family in microsoft. However, my son's account only lists the xbox as his device. I would like to add my PC to his list as well but I can't see how to do it. I've tried logging out of my entire computer settings and logging him in but...
  8. Family account removed by son with Admin Rights!

Family account removed by son with Admin Rights!: Family account removed by son with Admin Rights! I set up an account for my son under Family Group to keep him safe on line and to monitor and restrict his use on the laptop and Xbox for his safety to make sure he does school work at the right times without distraction. It...
  9. Accidently lost Admin account

Accidently lost Admin account: Was playing around with settings on my computer to ensure I do not need a password to log in, but once I set that up, I got locked out of admin. When I try to open files that require admin, it asks to insert admin details however does not give a box to type in username or...
  10. Admin account appears to be in sons account now

Admin account appears to be in sons account now: My son was on my PC yesterday trying to login to his Microsoft account so we could watch a movie, we ended up connecting his Xbox to my TV. I am (was) the admin on my PC, there is no PW to login so when I power up the PC it used to take me directly to my Desktop. When I...