Windows 10: Sony .ARW cannot preview

Discus and support Sony .ARW cannot preview in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have tried to install "RAW" drivers from the Sony web site, also tried to install "Raw Image Extension", and I anyway have this result. The Video... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HOTOREL, Aug 2, 2020.

1. HOTOREL Win User

Sony .ARW cannot preview

I have tried to install "RAW" drivers from the Sony web site, also tried to install "Raw Image Extension", and I anyway have this result. The Video driver was updated for the last one. Any other programs open this type of file without any problem. I actually don't know what I can do more...

Sony .ARW cannot preview [​IMG]

:)

HOTOREL, Aug 2, 2020

2. Can not view arw file on Windows 10

Hi Marktrivett,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What exactly happen when you to try to view the ARW file?

• Which application are you using to view the ARW file?
    The ARW file extension stands for "Sony Alpha Raw", and is therefore a Sony RAW Image file. To open an ARW file double-click on the file and let your PC decide which default application should open the file. The photos program that comes pre-installed
    with Microsoft Windows is able to open ARW files. If no program opens the ARW file then you probably don't have an application installed that can view ARW files. You can also try installing third party software to view the ARW file.

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third
    Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Hope it helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Can not view arw file on Windows 10

So....back to the original poster's question...what software do I use to open these Sony ARW files? I have Windows 10 on an HP Pavilion laptop. I have not downloaded any extra software to this laptop. Microsoft cannot open this file with 1) "Photos", 2)
    "Windows Media Player", and 3) "Windows Photo Viewer." Does anyone have any suggestions as to what Microsoft app I can use to open the ARW files? I can open them with my iPhone.

MichelleCarletti, Aug 2, 2020
  4. RyanM_515 Win User

Sony .ARW cannot preview

Windows Support for Sony ARW files

I'm reaching out for support to the content creator community with this one. Windows 10 (for some strange reason) does not support the Sony ARW files. If any of you have dealt with this issue, then you know it's frustrating and does not have an easy fix
    (may not have one at all). I, along with many others have gone to Sony support and downloaded the ARW driver from their website with no success. I saw somewhere that you can essentially write your own code into Windows 10 to get it to work, but let's be realistic...
    not gonna happen.

So I am petitioning that the content creator community (or anyone who wants to jump in this bandwagon. the more the merrier), send a flood of feedback to the Windows 10 Feedback Hub and really put some pressure on the engineers to have this update in the
    near future.

Just send a polite, but pointed request to have an update that includes Sony ARW files to be one of the default files supported in Windows 10.

And hey, if someone has found the solution and I'm just posting an ignorant discussion, then I will be happy to be wrong. But please post the solution so we can make it easier for the community to find and execute. Because as of now, I have searched, and
    searched, and searched, and have not found a solution.

RyanM_515, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Sony .ARW cannot preview

1. Sony .ARW cannot preview - Similar Threads - Sony ARW cannot

2. Raw Viewer Extension app does not work for Sony .ARW thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raw Viewer Extension app does not work for Sony .ARW thumbnails: I have a fast computer and the latest version of Windows 10. I have uninstalled FASTPictureViewer codec from my computer as it is no longer supported and installed Microsoft RawImageExtension. It did not show the images in Explorer so I uninstalled it and reloaded it. Checked...
  3. Raw Viewer Extension app does not work for Sony .ARW thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raw Viewer Extension app does not work for Sony .ARW thumbnails: I have a fast computer and the latest version of Windows 10. I have uninstalled FASTPictureViewer codec from my computer as it is no longer supported and installed Microsoft RawImageExtension. It did not show the images in Explorer so I uninstalled it and reloaded it. Checked...
  4. Cannot open .ARW Sony A7IV with Windows 7 64B?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open .ARW Sony A7IV with Windows 7 64B?: Hi Guys,YYeaah! I just bought a new camera Sony A7IV but I cannot edit my pictures in Lightroom. Oooohh...I tried to update Camera Raw but it request an entire Windows update.... any other solution?Thanks for your help,J...
  5. Cannot open .ARW Sony A7IV with Windows 7 64B?

Cannot open .ARW Sony A7IV with Windows 7 64B?: Hi Guys,YYeaah! I just bought a new camera Sony A7IV but I cannot edit my pictures in Lightroom. Oooohh...I tried to update Camera Raw but it request an entire Windows update.... any other solution?Thanks for your help,J...
  6. How to view latest version of Sony ARW files? Suggested techniques not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to view latest version of Sony ARW files? Suggested techniques not working.: Hi. I'm running a Windows 10 desktop & I just purchased a Sony A7R4 and cannot view the thumbnails in Windows photos viewer. They will open in Lightroom, but only individually and that is super inefficient for basic culling. PC stats:16gb RAMIntel i7-8700 @ 3.2ghz64 bit/ x64...
  7. How to view latest version of Sony ARW files? Suggested techniques not working.

How to view latest version of Sony ARW files? Suggested techniques not working.: Hi. I'm running a Windows 10 desktop & I just purchased a Sony A7R4 and cannot view the thumbnails in Windows photos viewer. They will open in Lightroom, but only individually and that is super inefficient for basic culling. PC stats:16gb RAMIntel i7-8700 @ 3.2ghz64 bit/ x64...
  8. How to view latest version of Sony ARW files? Suggested techniques not working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. ARW files are pink in windows 10 preview

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ARW files are pink in windows 10 preview: When I look at any of my photos in .arw they open slightly blurry and then in about 2 seconds the picture turns into grainy pink pixels and nothing can be seen. I've installed the latest Windows update today and the RAW extension. Please help. Thank you....
  10. Tags in ARW files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tags in ARW files: [ATTACH][ATTACH] I am trying to tag a large image library that I have from almost 20 years. I can tag JPGs directly in Windows Explorer. When it comes to Raw files, no such joy. I downloaded the Raw codec pack and also downloaded the Nikon and Sony drivers for RAW files....