Windows 10: Sony windows-10 not detecting Mobile Hotspot

Discus and support Sony windows-10 not detecting Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello - My latopt sony vaio - Windows-10 is not detecting my Mobile Hotspot connection, although it dectects other WIFI networks. can anyone help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JunaidNazir1, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Sony windows-10 not detecting Mobile Hotspot

Hello - My latopt sony vaio - Windows-10 is not detecting my Mobile Hotspot connection, although it dectects other WIFI networks. can anyone help

:)

JunaidNazir1, Aug 15, 2021
  2. lorraine walsh, Aug 15, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User
    Windows not discovering mobile hotspot

I think you have already answered both of the other points I would have checked so I have nothing else useful to suggest -
    - Your computer can detect other 2.4GHz networks/hotspots
    - Other computers can detect your phone's 2.4GHz hotspot

I have deliberately altered some Windows settings to hide unwanted local networks [not just stop any connection to them but hide them from appearing in the list of available networks]. But you have not been taking similar measures or you would have said so.

As a final check, see if your phone's mobile hotspot appears in the list of detected networks using
    NirSoft WiFiInfoView

Best of luck,
    Denis

4. Sony windows-10 not detecting Mobile Hotspot

Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot stopped working: How to fix?

I had been using Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot to successfully join two laptops together for a couple of months, but recently it has stopped working and my (somewhat limited1) skills and Windows' diagnostics have not been able to get it going again.

Details

• Dell XPS-15 Laptop running Windows 10 Professional (10.0.17763).
      • Wired ethernet connection (via Dell Thunderbolt dock) to the internet.
      • Mobile Hotspot enabled over Wi-Fi, sharing above connection.
    • Sony VAIO-X Laptop running Windows 7 Professional SP1.
      • Connected over Wi-Fi to the Mobile Hotspot provided by the Dell.

After a couple of initial problems getting all the right settings in place, I was able to:

• Connect to the internet from the Dell.
    • Connect to the internet over Wi-Fi from the Sony using the mobile hotspot.
    • File-share in both directions between the Sony and the Dell over Wi-Fi.
    • RDP from the Dell to the Sony over Wi-Fi.

The above system is what I use in a serviced office space. At home, I mainly use the Sony and connect to my home broadband over Wi-Fi. For the most part, the Sony would switch happily between connecting to my broadband when at home and the hotspot in the office.

The Problem

A short while ago, the Sony stopped (reliably) connecting to the hotspot. As far as I can remember, I had not (knowingly) changed any network-related settings on either machine, nor explicitly updated any drivers (although it's possible this did happen through Windows Update on the Dell). I seem to remember that at some point Windows' diagnostics on the Sony indicating it couldn't get an IP address, so I tried ipconfig /renew and using this when a problem occurred seemed to fix things for a while.

Since the initial problems, the ipconfig /renew on the Sony no longer works: it returns (after quite a long wait):

Attempts to Fix

Since the "renew" command stopped "fixing" things, and with the help of on-line searches / StackExchange, I have tried running all (obviously) suitable Windows' diagnostics on both machines, and they don't indicate problems. I have inspected settings of various components2, but none (by my somewhat limited knowledge1) looked wrong. Where possible, I have tried disabling/enabling components to "reset" things, but this hasn't made any noticeable difference. Both machines have been rebooted a number of times, and the Dell is up-to-date with both Windows and Dell.

Current State

• The Sony successfully makes a Wi-Fi connection to the Dell, so the Wi-Fi adapters on both are working and (at least somewhat) configured correctly. However, nothing shows under the Devices connected: section of the Dell's Mobile Hotspot settings page.
    • pinging by name from either machine cannot find the host; pinging what ipconfig reports as the other machine's IP address gives PING: transmit failed. General failure. from both machines.
    • If I try connecting my Android 'phone to the Dell's hotspot, it seems to connect at the Wi-Fi layer but, after a number of attempts, fails with "Failed to obtain IP address.".
    • If I activate the Mobile Hotspot of my 'phone (to share its 4G connection) then I can successfully connect to it (and the internet) from the Sony.

To me, the latter two results suggest the problem is more likely to be with the Dell than the Sony.

Conclusion

While the Wi-Fi link-layer of the Mobile Hotspot is working on the Dell, some part of the higher layers are not. In particular, it does not appear to be issuing IP addresses. Whether this is because DHCP is not running over the hotspot, or something more fundamental at the IP level is not working, I don't know.

Can someone suggest a more directed approach to diagnosing/fixing the problem?

1 I'm fairly technical (programmer for 25 years including writing TCP/IP client/server software at the socket() level). However, my "in depth" knowledge of which bits of Windows affects which other bits of Windows as far as networking is concerned is much more limited.

2 I've not posted specific settings as I feel there are too many possible things I could post, and I'm not sure which are most relevant. However, I'll gladly add any if requested.

TripeHound, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

Sony windows-10 not detecting Mobile Hotspot

1. Sony windows-10 not detecting Mobile Hotspot - Similar Threads - Sony detecting Mobile

2. Mobile hotspot on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mobile hotspot on windows 10: I discovered that my internet stops working when I turn on the mobile hotspot. I initially thought it was the network, I had already done a network reset and wasn't still working not until I turned off the hotspot. I use an ethernet connection. Please, I would love to know...
  3. Mobile hotspot on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mobile hotspot on windows 10: I discovered that my internet stops working when I turn on the mobile hotspot. I initially thought it was the network, I had already done a network reset and wasn't still working not until I turned off the hotspot. I use an ethernet connection. Please, I would love to know...
  4. windows 10 mobile hotspot

windows 10 mobile hotspot: I have 2 wifi network cards in my computer. ASUS PCE-AC88 802.11ac Network Adapter IntelR I211 Gigabit Network Connection The ASUS one have the best antenna so i can get a good signal down in my basement. but my phone struggels. So i tried the mobile hotspot on windows 10....
  5. Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot

Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot: Hello everyone,So I live in a student accommodation, and I use an ethernet cable for my desktop. Basically I don't have private internet.When I open up the mobile hotspot, my phone says "no internet connection". THIS DOESNT HAPPEN IF I USE MY LAPTOP.I tried many methods on...
  6. Mobile hotspot on windows 10

Mobile hotspot on windows 10: so i was messing with some configs and other stuff and now when i turn the mobile hotspot on on my laptop my phone sees the wifi but when it tries to connect it wont it just doesnt have wifi please help....
  7. [Windows 10] Mobile Hotspot not detected by Roku devices

[Windows 10] Mobile Hotspot not detected by Roku devices: Hi there, after much mucking about I managed to get my Windows 10 Mobile hotspot working reliably Yay My only issue now is that none of my Roku devices seem to be able to detect it. I have connected using a iPad, a Playstation 4 and a couple phones but for some reason it...
  8. Mobile Hotspot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mobile Hotspot Windows 10: I have set up a mobile hotspot and it works correctly. However, the hotspot is set to 'Off' after reboot or startup. How can I set it to automatically start when Windows starts. I have search for solutions on Google and, needless to say, none of them solve the problem....
  9. Windows 10 mobile hotspot

Windows 10 mobile hotspot: So I turned on the setting for the mobile hotspot on my PC,but for some reason the hotspot is not visible on my android phone?What do I do?My PC has a wired connection to my WiFi and I tried to share my PC's good WiFi connection through its mobile hotspot setting but the...
  10. Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10

Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10: How To Calculate Data Usages on Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mobile-hotspot-in-windows-10/635baf45-0bfd-4a2d-a820-fe3188a560da