Windows 10: Soon, Windows 11 users will be able to remove the MSN news feed widget

Discus and support Soon, Windows 11 users will be able to remove the MSN news feed widget in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Windows 11 users may soon remove the MSN news feed widget from the operating system's Widgets board. Microsoft made the announcement during a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 25, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Soon, Windows 11 users will be able to remove the MSN news feed widget

Microsoft Windows 11 users may soon remove the MSN news feed widget from the operating system's Widgets board. Microsoft made the announcement during a keynote speech at its Build 2023 developer conference.

Widgets is a prominent feature of the Windows 11 operating system, as it is placed in the location of the classic Start Menu by default. It is the only icon that is placed there, as all other icons are centered on the taskbar by default.

Soon, Windows 11 users will be able to remove the MSN news feed widget [​IMG]

Activation of the icon displays the Widgets interface. It is dominated by MSN news, but there are other widgets, including a weather report, sports, stock market and games widget.

Up until now, Windows 11 users can only remove some of the widgets. The most notable exception is the news widget, which can't be removed. To remove a widget, you simply select the three-dots icon next to it and then the unpin widget option.

This is not possible for news. While you can block individual magazines and news outlets, and manage interests, you can't remove the entire thing from Widgets.

Managing interests may be used to customize the news feed, but disabling all interests does not remove the news feed either, believe us, we tried. It simple pushes default news to the system.

Microsoft has been criticized in the past for locking the news feed in place. The selection of news topics was also disliked by some users, as inappropriate topics could show up in the news feed.

The ability to get rid of the news feed in Widgets will be delivered via an update later in 2023. The change allows Windows 11 users to only display the widgets that they want to see. With third-party widgets finally getting some tractions, more options are becoming available to customize the widgets area.

Microsoft plans to launch different layout options for the Widgets interface, one of which will be a "widgets only" layout, which won't have the news feed. Users will only see their widgets then once they have switched to the new layout.

Microsoft has not revealed specifics other than that at this time. The change will land later this year, but Microsoft did not mention when it plans to roll it out. A possibility is that it may be included in the fourth Moments update for Windows 11, which also comes out later this year.

Microsoft released the third Moments update for Windows 11 just yesterday.

Now You: would you use the Widgets if the news feed can be turned off? (via Neowin)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Soon, Windows 11 users will be able to remove the MSN news feed widget appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 25, 2023
  2. GRRevak Win User

Windows 11 widgets; how to remove these annoying news feed windows in the Widgets panel?

Frustrating indeed that Microsoft forces news feeds on paying customers. However there is a way to neutralize the feed so it doesn't show when you click the Widget icon. Just pin a few things to force the news offscreen. I pinned Outlook, Weather, To-Do and Tips. Those 4 widgets fill the first pane that pops up when you click the Widget icon so you don't see the news. The useless news feed is still running, consuming bandwidth but at least I don't have to look. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this bad design soon and allow the user to completely turn off the news feed.

GRRevak, May 25, 2023
  3. MSN News Feed

How do I remove the MSN News Feed in my Windows 10 Edge Browser?

The MSN news Feed is not to my taste and I would prefer to use the BBC News Feed.

If I can...how?

FrancisRowley, May 25, 2023
  4. arejfour Win User

w11 weather widget and news feed

How can I just get the weather widget without the news feed? I've tried everything, I can think of, but I have been unable to figure out how I can just have the weather widget without all the news feed. I have no interest in the news feed at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

arejfour, May 25, 2023
Thema:

1. Soon, Windows 11 users will be able to remove the MSN news feed widget - Similar Threads - Soon users able

2. Windows News Feed on Widgets is broken in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows News Feed on Widgets is broken in Windows 11: Something's wrong with Widgets and its News Feed. About an hour ago, I noticed that the Widgets gets a blank screen that says, "We're having trouble loading the news feed. There could be something happening on our end. Reload the news to try again." But reloading never fixes...
  3. Windows News Feed on Widgets is broken in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows News Feed on Widgets is broken in Windows 11: Something's wrong with Widgets and its News Feed. About an hour ago, I noticed that the Widgets gets a blank screen that says, "We're having trouble loading the news feed. There could be something happening on our end. Reload the news to try again." But reloading never fixes...
  4. News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds: I've reset the apps and re-installed latest Windows 10 on top of existing apps and data and also ran sfc /scannow and the following DISM commands:"DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"the...
  5. News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds: I've reset the apps and re-installed latest Windows 10 on top of existing apps and data and also ran sfc /scannow and the following DISM commands:"DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"the...
  6. Windows 11 widgets; how to remove these annoying news feed windows in the Widgets panel?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 widgets; how to remove these annoying news feed windows in the Widgets panel?: When hovering over or clicking on the Widgets shortcut the panel appears with ~50 of these stupid little windows all showing news feeds.I don't mind the weather and a very few other widgets that show something useful but all of these news panels are pointless, annoying, and...
  7. Windows 11 widgets; how to remove these annoying news feed windows in the Widgets panel?

Windows 11 widgets; how to remove these annoying news feed windows in the Widgets panel?: When hovering over or clicking on the Widgets shortcut the panel appears with ~50 of these stupid little windows all showing news feeds.I don't mind the weather and a very few other widgets that show something useful but all of these news panels are pointless, annoying, and...
  8. Windows 11 news feed on widget panel not loading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 news feed on widget panel not loading: Hi, how can I fix this problem with the news feed? I already uninstalled and reinstalled the Web Experience Pack, but the problem persists https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-news-feed-on-widget-panel-not-loading/bcc79d35-3ce2-4f1f-8e46-f95496725475
  9. Windows 11 news feed on widget panel not loading

Windows 11 news feed on widget panel not loading: Hi, how can I fix this problem with the news feed? I already uninstalled and reinstalled the Web Experience Pack, but the problem persists https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-news-feed-on-widget-panel-not-loading/bcc79d35-3ce2-4f1f-8e46-f95496725475
  10. MSN News Feed

in Windows 10 Customization
    MSN News Feed: How do I remove the MSN News Feed in my Windows 10 Edge Browser? The MSN news Feed is not to my taste and I would prefer to use the BBC News Feed. If I can...how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msn-news-feed/b13b602d-6aab-49bd-b1f7-1baaefc6acd0