Windows 10: Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

Discus and support Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A couple of hours ago I was contacted by someone claiming to be from Google Security Services. Texas based, he said. I get several scam calls a week... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Terrypin Win User

Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

A couple of hours ago I was contacted by someone claiming to be from Google Security Services. Texas based, he said. I get several scam calls a week and handled this in my usual fashion with a "Not interested, don't call me again" and ended the call. But unusually this one called straight back and got me listening for a while. At my insistence he gave me a phone number of 18005321200 (which I've not yet tried). Heclaimed that my PC had been hacked and he proceeded to demonstrate evidence that he had access etc. He was using a service called TeamViewer, whose details he popped up on my screen. (I've since called that company and they point out that anyone can use their software.)

At my further insistence he escalated the call to a manager "Roger Lucas" from the Indian company Ridhima Enterprise. That lasted an hour, during which he took me through views of my Services, Settings, etc. As I expected (although I was surprised how long he was prepared to continue the call) at the end he went for the sale. Specifically he asked me to register a new 'Windows Certificate': 1 Year £289, 3 Yr £399, Life £799, because that would allow them to proceed with fixes, as my existing certificate had expired.

Naturally I asked for an email setting it all out but - surprise! - he was very anxious to complete the transaction on the phone.

He'll be calling me back this afternoon and so I'd appreciate any further info or advice. Is it conceivable that the company does have evidence that my PC has been hacked and does offer a service (worthwhile or otherwise) in removing those? What is the consequence of my licence expiring, if indeed it has.

For months I've had regular scam emails claiming that my PC has been hacked and claiming to know 'my password'. One or two of those do indeed match agains of my score or so of passwords. So I can believe that some hacking has occurred. But needless to say, no bit coins have changed hands!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Oct 9, 2019
  2. clam1952 Win User
    clam1952, Oct 9, 2019
  3. What is the Microsoft Awards Compensation Cash Fund? Is it a scam or legitimate. If legitimate, what is it?

What is the Microsoft Awards Compensation Cash Fund? Is it a scam or legitimate. If legitimate, what is it?

susanlandgraf-25, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

Is this Scam?

Hi AndressCrain,

Scammers use different tactics to scare you into paying for unnecessary technical support services. They may call you directly on your phone and pretend to be representatives of a company software. They even ask you to install applications that give them
    access to your computer. They might even fake the caller ID so that it displays a legitimate support phone number from a trusted company. For more information about your concern, check the following articles:

Let us know if you have other queries.

MaRoselle Cag, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

1. Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service? - Similar Threads - Sophiisticated scam legitimate

2. is this Window 10 weblink legitimate...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is this Window 10 weblink legitimate...: Hi Pls help. When i switched on my notebook this evening, I was informed that there were 5 viruses detected in my Windows directory. Then I was directed to this link "https://www.systemkeeper04.com/sk/c6da1b5f/ww3/?clid=210495073619902464&afterpre&active_tpl=3" to...
  3. Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?: A couple of hours ago I was contacted by someone claiming to be from Google Security Services. Texas based, he said. I get several scam calls a week and handled this in my usual fashion with a "Not interested, don't call me again" and ended the call. But unusually this one...
  4. Is this legitimate?

Is this legitimate?: I am not a surface customer and I got this email. Is this legit? Subject: Microsoft Extended Service Contract/Registration Confirmation_ 70-NVF64 | UIN3862 Date: xxxx From: Bulk Warranty Registration Alias <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> To: xxxx CC: Bulk...
  5. Legitimate Microsoft request??

Legitimate Microsoft request??: I keep getting a warning that my computer will freeze if I don't call this phone number for assistance … 1-816-280-2833. Is this for real? If not real how do I stop this from popping up on my computer?...
  6. Are these sites legitimate?

in Windows 10 Support
    Are these sites legitimate?: Thinking of getting a copy of W10 and did a search is this fore real? Windows 10 Professional 32/64bit Download Seems to good to be true. 137287
  7. easytechwork - legitimate company?

easytechwork - legitimate company?: is this a legitimate company they just called and said they just called and said they would take it off my card like they did before but I paid for 5 years s why are calling and wanting more money can they take it off of my card without me authorizing them to do that? thank...
  8. legitimate company or a scam?

legitimate company or a scam?: My computer suddenly locked up, started loudly beeping while issuing a microsoft support number to immediately call. They said I was infected with a Trojan and connected me to PC Net Care for network security. Is this a legitimate company?...
  9. Legitimate email?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Legitimate email?: Today, I received an email saying "Thanks for ordering Defender Firewall" and a bill for $499.99. It gave me the telephone # (888) 619-9555 to call if I wnted to cancel this order. Is this legitimate? I don't recall ordering this!!!...
  10. Are these offers really legitimate?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Are these offers really legitimate?: Hi Folks, Just joined Tenforums but have been a member of Sevenforums for a while. I have an old copy of Office 2000 which I managed to install successfully under W7 but when I tried to install it on my new laptop running W10 Home I got multiple errors during the install and...