Windows 10: Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

Discus and support Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A couple of hours ago I was contacted by someone claiming to be from Google Security Services. Texas based, he said. I get several scam calls a week... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Terrypin, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Terrypin Win User

Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

A couple of hours ago I was contacted by someone claiming to be from Google Security Services. Texas based, he said. I get several scam calls a week and handled this in my usual fashion with a "Not interested, don't call me again" and ended the call. But unusually this one called straight back and got me listening for a while. At my insistence he gave me a phone number of 18005321200 (which I've not yet tried). Heclaimed that my PC had been hacked and he proceeded to demonstrate evidence that he had access etc. He was using a service called TeamViewer, whose details he popped up on my screen. (I've since called that company and they point out that anyone can use their software.)

At my further insistence he escalated the call to a manager "Roger Lucas" from the Indian company Ridhima Enterprise. That lasted an hour, during which he took me through views of my Services, Settings, etc. As I expected (although I was surprised how long he was prepared to continue the call) at the end he went for the sale. Specifically he asked me to register a new 'Windows Certificate': 1 Year £289, 3 Yr £399, Life £799, because that would allow them to proceed with fixes, as my existing certificate had expired.

Naturally I asked for an email setting it all out but - surprise! - he was very anxious to complete the transaction on the phone.

He'll be calling me back this afternoon and so I'd appreciate any further info or advice. Is it conceivable that the company does have evidence that my PC has been hacked and does offer a service (worthwhile or otherwise) in removing those? What is the consequence of my licence expiring, if indeed it has.

For months I've had regular scam emails claiming that my PC has been hacked and claiming to know 'my password'. One or two of those do indeed match agains of my score or so of passwords. So I can believe that some hacking has occurred. But needless to say, no bit coins have changed hands!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Oct 9, 2019
  2. clam1952 Win User
    clam1952, Oct 9, 2019
  3. What is the Microsoft Awards Compensation Cash Fund? Is it a scam or legitimate. If legitimate, what is it?

What is the Microsoft Awards Compensation Cash Fund? Is it a scam or legitimate. If legitimate, what is it?

susanlandgraf-25, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

Is this Scam?

Hi AndressCrain,

Scammers use different tactics to scare you into paying for unnecessary technical support services. They may call you directly on your phone and pretend to be representatives of a company software. They even ask you to install applications that give them
    access to your computer. They might even fake the caller ID so that it displays a legitimate support phone number from a trusted company. For more information about your concern, check the following articles:

Let us know if you have other queries.

MaRoselle Cag, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

1. Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service? - Similar Threads - Sophiisticated scam legitimate

2. Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed: My husband contacted me today while I was out and said his computer had been hacked and hit with spyware. He did not call the number on his computer screen but instead got on his phone and googled what he thought was a Microsoft support phone number 888-387-4005 and that he...
  3. Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed: My husband contacted me today while I was out and said his computer had been hacked and hit with spyware. He did not call the number on his computer screen but instead got on his phone and googled what he thought was a Microsoft support phone number 888-387-4005 and that he...
  4. Was it a scam or was it legitimate?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Was it a scam or was it legitimate?: I got a windows defender alert that I had a Trojan spyware and a loud recording that my laptop has been locked. I called the phone number given 855-999-9310. I received a call back from 206-414-0504. The first thing I was asked to do is disconnect my Wi-Fi and reconnect. I...
  5. Was it a scam or was it legitimate?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Was it a scam or was it legitimate?: I got a windows defender alert that I had a Trojan spyware and a loud recording that my laptop has been locked. I called the phone number given 855-999-9310. I received a call back from 206-414-0504. The first thing I was asked to do is disconnect my Wi-Fi and reconnect. I...
  6. Possible Scam. I want to know is this legitimate email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible Scam. I want to know is this legitimate email: Cybersecurity threats cost the global economy an estimated market value of US$3 trillion, with 71% of companies admitting that they fell victim to successful cyberattacks. As cybersecurity threats continue to rise in India, we see the importance of having trusted software and...
  7. microsoftstoreemail.com - Is this a legitimate Microsoft email address or is it a phishing scam?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    microsoftstoreemail.com - Is this a legitimate Microsoft email address or is it a phishing scam?: I'm getting emails from "Microsoft Store <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>". Is this a legitimate Microsoft email address or is it a phishing scam. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoftstoreemailcom/c2740f8f-1679-42aa-ac43-02d5aa18a896"
  8. Driver Support Security a scam or legitimate?

Driver Support Security a scam or legitimate?: Is Driver Support a scam or legitimate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/driver-support-security-a-scam-or-legitimate/0200746a-4c60-4c7b-9212-4659c6ad2596
  9. Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?: A couple of hours ago I was contacted by someone claiming to be from Google Security Services. Texas based, he said. I get several scam calls a week and handled this in my usual fashion with a "Not interested, don't call me again" and ended the call. But unusually this one...
  10. legitimate company or a scam?

legitimate company or a scam?: My computer suddenly locked up, started loudly beeping while issuing a microsoft support number to immediately call. They said I was infected with a Trojan and connected me to PC Net Care for network security. Is this a legitimate company?...