Windows 10: Sort and group files types by extension

Discus and support Sort and group files types by extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together? When I sort my media folder by type, i end up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by seergaze, Jul 12, 2019.

1. seergaze Win User

Sort and group files types by extension

Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together?

When I sort my media folder by type, i end up with .mp4 files being sandwiched between jpg and pngs

Please dont tell me to make additional folders, I have my own reasons and I would like to be able to scroll to the bottom to find any videos related to the folder topic instead of needing to find them somewhere in the middle.

Thanks

:)

seergaze, Jul 12, 2019

2. sorting jpg files

Hi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you let us know, are you trying to sort in files in Explorer or Photos app?

If you are sorting in explorer, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open the folder in which files are stored.
    2. Right click on empty space of window.
    3. Select Sort by and click on
      Type

If you are trying to sort in Photos app by extension, we would suggest you to provide your feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    as there is no option available to sort by extension in the app. However you can sort by Modified, Newest, Oldest, and Alphabetical.

If you want to look only for the files with .jpg extension in photos app, you may type
    *.jpg in the search bar.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Jul 12, 2019
  3. How to sort files by extension?

Hi vvvvasily,

I'm Stefano an Independent Advisor, here to help you.

You can do that following this procedure:

1. Open the folder in which are the files you want to order.

2. Right click on a blank point

3. Click on "Sort by"

4. Click on "Other"

5. Select "Extension" from the list

6. Click on "Ok"

Then:

1. Open the folder in which are the files you want to order.

2. Right click on a blank point

3. Click on "Sort by"

4. Click on "Extension"

Please let me know if that solves your issue.

StefanoTamiotti, Jul 12, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

How to sort files by extension?

Hi,

Open Windows File Explorer

On the View Tab, choose Details as the Layout

Then click the 'Type' column header to sort by file extension

That's It!

DaveM121, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Sort and group files types by extension - Similar Threads - Sort group files

2. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?: I have many Excel files open, along with other apps. In the taskbar, I need to group the icons by application. When I hover above the Excel icon, a list of open files appear. The problem is that the files are not alphabetically sorted. No amount of right-clicking anywhere...
  3. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?: I have many Excel files open, along with other apps. In the taskbar, I need to group the icons by application. When I hover above the Excel icon, a list of open files appear. The problem is that the files are not alphabetically sorted. No amount of right-clicking anywhere...
  4. Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension: In the old days if you clicked on a list of files in a folder, it would alternate between sorting by name, file extension, file size, etc. Now it's different. You can select more than one field to sort on, and which fields to sort first, second, etc. The fields you select...
  5. Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension: In the old days if you clicked on a list of files in a folder, it would alternate between sorting by name, file extension, file size, etc. Now it's different. You can select more than one field to sort on, and which fields to sort first, second, etc. The fields you select...
  6. File Type extension Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Type extension Problem: My files ,videos, music are affected by an extension type called .47lful55V all files and cant open any of the files and cant use. I have tried several methods to fix this but none of them give hands please help me to fix this issue I cant us any apps files videos music...
  7. File extension relation to file type

File extension relation to file type: How does Windows know that a .txt is a text file, or a .py is a python file? I made this file extension called .pmry, and want Windows to know it is a Hello file, but it says it's a PMRY file. How do I make Windows know it is a Hello file?...
  8. How to sort files by extension?

How to sort files by extension?: How, Microsoft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-files-by-extension/a3e24bef-33b1-4d42-9aac-5df456034326"
  9. Auto-sort by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-sort by file type: I am trying to sort files in File Explorer by name only. Currently, there's a default setting where everything sorts by file type, then by filename. I don't want it sorted by file type--I don't care about the file type. The file type has no bearing on what I'm trying to...
  10. File Extension and file type

File Extension and file type: Recently I came to know the in some directories, all my file type and extension are changed to CAAVME File (.caavme). When I open, its not opening. There is a file in every directory with the name "CAAVME-DECRYPT" and it contents: ---= GANDCRAB V5.0.4 =---...