Windows 10: Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

Discus and support Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After installing the new update, I cannot sort my files by Date Modified (recent files first) and have my folders first before my recent files like I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mattyb_98, Aug 20, 2019.

1. mattyb_98 Win User

Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

After installing the new update, I cannot sort my files by Date Modified (recent files first) and have my folders first before my recent files like I used to. They go straight after all my files. The only way I can get the files to the top is if I sort by Date Modified (oldest files first) which is not something I want to do. Any way to fix this?

:)

mattyb_98, Aug 20, 2019
  2. RyanPosly Win User

Sort in File Explorer by Date Modified with Folders always on top (ALPHABETICALLY)

In File Explorer (Windows 10), I want to sort my files by Date Modified (most recent on top) but with Folders always on top. I've read in countless forums across the internet that there's a great, easy way to do this: Click Date Modified to sort that column
    descending, then Shift+Click on Name and voila! Folders appear at the top of the list. Fantastic!

However, what no one ever points out in their elation is that the Folders are then sorted (at least for me)
    reverse alphabetically! So the first Folder on top starts with a W, and the last Folder before the individual files show starts with an A. You would think that you could just Shift+Click again on Name, and it would reverse it, but it does nothing.
    To be clear, I don't need my Folders on top sorted by Date, but I also think it's silly that they would have to be in reverse.

Sorting seems like pretty basic functionality, and the ability to sort by multiple columns in multiple ways at once is commonplace in things like Excel and iTunes. Is there no way to accomplish this in File Explorer?

Thanks.

RyanPosly, Aug 20, 2019
  3. How do I sort my folders in Windows 10 by date modified while keeping my folders on top?

I never had this problem until moving to Windows 10.
    I have already looked and saw a mention of if I have it on date modified, then right click again and then hold shift while clicking on name, the folders will be on top but still set to date modified. This is not the case as it's not working for me.
    It has the folders on top, but it's not sorted by date at all... unless I'm somehow doing something right.
    Is there an exact step by step I need to do?

Ayumi Spender, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

Sort files by date with folders on top

Option 1: Sort by "Date" column, instead of "Date Modified". If "Date" is missing, add it by right-clicking column header and click More...

Option 2: Sort by "Date Modified" and then do a secondary sort by Name holding the SHIFT key.

[Source] How to sort by most recent with folders on top? - Microsoft Community: How to sort by most recent with folders on top?

This behavior is the same in Windows 7 as well.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

1. Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top? - Similar Threads - Sort 'Date Modified'

2. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting folders by date modified: Hello everyoneI moved a folder that has a lot of folders and files from one hard disk to another, the thing is I like my data to be sorted by date modified which I did, however, the folders aren't sorted by date modified for some reason even though the files "videos" are...
  3. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting folders by date modified: Hello everyoneI moved a folder that has a lot of folders and files from one hard disk to another, the thing is I like my data to be sorted by date modified which I did, however, the folders aren't sorted by date modified for some reason even though the files "videos" are...
  4. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top [Windows 11]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top [Windows 11]: Same question as linked but for Windows 11 the linked solution does not work:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-by-date-modified-but-keep-folders-at-the-top/746b8380-63fd-4d77-a568-fac11d917ad7...
  6. Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top [Windows 11]

Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top [Windows 11]: Same question as linked but for Windows 11 the linked solution does not work:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-by-date-modified-but-keep-folders-at-the-top/746b8380-63fd-4d77-a568-fac11d917ad7...
  7. Folders sorted by Date Modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders sorted by Date Modified: I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. All of my work related folders are sorted based on Date Modified because I need to know which folders were recently accessed to had changes made to them. Everything is fine until I reset the laptop. Once the machine is back and running,...
  8. Folders sorted by Date Modified

Folders sorted by Date Modified: I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. All of my work related folders are sorted based on Date Modified because I need to know which folders were recently accessed to had changes made to them. Everything is fine until I reset the laptop. Once the machine is back and running,...
  9. Sort files by date with folders on top

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files by date with folders on top: Until recently, when I used File Explorer, the folder list was always at the top! If I want to sort everything inside a folder by name ascending, it put the folders on top by name ascending then files next by name ascending. If I want to sort everything inside a folder by...
  10. folder sorting by date modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder sorting by date modified: might seem stupid but i just got a new laptop and ran into this problem when trying to set up. one of the things i need is to sort files in the 'downloads' folder by date modified, so i can find the ones most recently downloaded at the top. However, i found this was not the...