Windows 10: Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10

Discus and support Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i shouldn't have updated to windows 10 but the mistake is done, i won't get into the other issues, this is the most important issue for me now. on 8.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LoiRequin088, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10

i shouldn't have updated to windows 10 but the mistake is done, i won't get into the other issues, this is the most important issue for me now.
    on 8.1 sorting by date in the downloads folder always worked, with folders on top then under them the files from most recent to to oldest.
    Now sorting by date fails , downloaded files appear in the middle or at bottom, i tried sorting by every available date column, like date last saved or date created etc.. nothing worked except for date last saved but the folders are not on top, at the bottom.
    is this a bug in windows 10 or what? this is really frustrating

:)

LoiRequin088, Apr 11, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after recent update when you sort the files by Date Modified, the folders are listed at the bottom. We would like to know which update was installed on the computer, to check go to
    Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.

However, you can go ahead and try the following steps and see if that helps in listing the folders at top:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the location where your files are stored.
    2. Sort files by Date Modified (Recent files first).
    3. Hold Shift key and click on the
      Name
      column. This will bring folders at the top with files sorted with Date Modified.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 11, 2020
  3. mattyb_98 Win User
    Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

After installing the new update, I cannot sort my files by Date Modified (recent files first) and have my folders first before my recent files like I used to. They go straight after all my files. The only way I can get the files to the top is if I sort by
    Date Modified (oldest files first) which is not something I want to do. Any way to fix this?

mattyb_98, Apr 11, 2020
  4. Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10

Sort files by date with folders on top

Option 1: Sort by "Date" column, instead of "Date Modified". If "Date" is missing, add it by right-clicking column header and click More...

Option 2: Sort by "Date Modified" and then do a secondary sort by Name holding the SHIFT key.

[Source] How to sort by most recent with folders on top? - Microsoft Community: How to sort by most recent with folders on top?

This behavior is the same in Windows 7 as well.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10

1. Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sort date recent

2. sort files by date, but with all folders at top?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sort files by date, but with all folders at top?: In W10 I had the ability to sort explorer views with all folders at the top, and then all files sorted by descending date.I don't recall the magic settings for this, but cannot seem to reproduce it in W11.Any way?...
  3. sort files by date, but with all folders at top?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sort files by date, but with all folders at top?: In W10 I had the ability to sort explorer views with all folders at the top, and then all files sorted by descending date.I don't recall the magic settings for this, but cannot seem to reproduce it in W11.Any way?...
  4. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them: Hi I have a whole bunch of folders with a unique identifier and I'm looking to simply identify or sort the folders by the youngest age of the content, i.e the date with which the most recent file was created within that folder...Unfortunately due to a merge, all the folders...
  5. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them: Hi I have a whole bunch of folders with a unique identifier and I'm looking to simply identify or sort the folders by the youngest age of the content, i.e the date with which the most recent file was created within that folder...Unfortunately due to a merge, all the folders...
  6. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Sort files by date with folders on top

Sort files by date with folders on top: Until recently, when I used File Explorer, the folder list was always at the top! If I want to sort everything inside a folder by name ascending, it put the folders on top by name ascending then files next by name ascending. If I want to sort everything inside a folder by...
  8. Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10

Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10: i shouldn't have updated to windows 10 but the mistake is done, i won't get into the other issues, this is the most important issue for me now. on 8.1 sorting by date in the downloads folder always worked, with folders on top then under them the files from most recent to to...
  9. Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10

Sort by date recent to oldest with folders on top in windows 10: i shouldn't have updated to windows 10 but the mistake is done, i won't get into the other issues, this is the most important issue for me now. on 8.1 sorting by date in the downloads folder always worked, with folders on top then under them the files from most recent to to...
  10. Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?: After installing the new update, I cannot sort my files by Date Modified (recent files first) and have my folders first before my recent files like I used to. They go straight after all my files. The only way I can get the files to the top is if I sort by Date Modified...