Windows 10: Sort by name is slightly off as far as I can tell

Discus and support Sort by name is slightly off as far as I can tell in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have these files sorted by name in File Explorer and it lists it like this. Volume 1 - Chapter 1 Volume 1 - Chapter 2 Volume 1 Volume 2 -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Lotus-Vale, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Sort by name is slightly off as far as I can tell

So I have these files sorted by name in File Explorer and it lists it like this.

Volume 1 - Chapter 1

Volume 1 - Chapter 2

Volume 1

Volume 2 - Chapter 1

Volume 2 - Chapter 2

Volume 2

Volume 3 - Chapter 1

Volume 3 - Chapter 2

Volume 3

So it sorts the chapters correctly, but wouldn't the files simply labeled Volume (X) float to the top of each of the chapters? They are all the same file type (pictures)

submitted by /u/Lotus-Vale
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Lotus-Vale, Mar 7, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

File Folder ahead in sort by ''Name''

Hello Luka,

There are a few reason why your folders are sorted by Name. For us to narrow it down, kindly answer the questions listed below:

• What do you mean by ahead?
    • Can you send a screenshot on where you're trying to sort your folders?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Mar 7, 2020
  3. Inconsistency in Sort By Name

Hi NgocNguyen Sinh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I've tried replicating your concern on our lab machines and we are also getting the same result as you are getting.

Command Prompt and PowerShell are sorting the files in the correct order, i.e., by name and as you can see that after
    1Y_2000.jpg it is showing 1Y_2038790993DY7 and this is the correct sort order by name. However, in File Explorer if we sort it by name, it is sorting incorrectly.

I thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would suggest posting a feedback in
    Feedback Hub as our developers are collating
    suggestions for the improvement of your experience in using File Explorer.

For more information on sorting in Command Prompt and PowerShell, you may refer
    Sort.

Please feel free to contact us back, in case you have any other questions/issues with Windows in future.

Shafeeq_Khan, Mar 7, 2020
  4. jomax77 Win User

Sort by name is slightly off as far as I can tell

Sort Contacts by first name & Sort Favorites????

Just got my Samsung i-760, how can I sort my contacts to list First-Last names instead or Last-First names? It makes dialing and searching for contacts very annoying.

Also how can I arrange boomarks in IE in any order I choose instead of just ABC order?

This is annoying too as there are a few important sites that I would like to have listed on top.

Thanks for the help.

jomax77, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Sort by name is slightly off as far as I can tell

1. Sort by name is slightly off as far as I can tell - Similar Threads - Sort name slightly

2. Can someone tell me what is the name of this software?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone tell me what is the name of this software?: It's a green,red,blue ball in a white triangle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-tell-me-what-is-the-name-of-this/eed271de-8662-48d3-aed3-389188570a0f
  3. Why isn't two-step verification truly two step as far as I can tell?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't two-step verification truly two step as far as I can tell?: I have had passwordless off will change today and two-step ON. The likelihood that someone has my password is slim. It was changed just a few months ago and is long and complex. Regardless, I received an Authenticator request to access my account today. I denied it but is...
  4. Why isn't two-step verification truly two step as far as I can tell?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isn't two-step verification truly two step as far as I can tell?: I have had passwordless off will change today and two-step ON. The likelihood that someone has my password is slim. It was changed just a few months ago and is long and complex. Regardless, I received an Authenticator request to access my account today. I denied it but is...
  5. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  6. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  7. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  8. File names not appearing and/or are slightly out of place.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File names not appearing and/or are slightly out of place.: I opened my file explorer today and it looked like this, no names, and ones which had file names had it slightly out of place. How can I fix this? [ATTACH]...
  9. Inconsistency in Sort By Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inconsistency in Sort By Name: Hello, Currently, I'm using windows 10 build 1809 I'm really wonder about the sorting by name in explorer and CMD of windows [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I use dir command to list out all the file in the folder. You can see the same of the priority of files name in CMD and power...
  10. Application maximize slightly off

in Windows 10 Support
    Application maximize slightly off: Hi everyone, I am running a dual monitor setup. I got my laptop in a docking station which is connected to an external monitor. I use the monitor as my main display but when I maximize applications like chrome, visual studio, (everything really) a small portion of the...