Windows 10: Sort by name, not type in folder

Discus and support Sort by name, not type in folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MariaStjernholm, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Sort by name, not type in folder

Im having a big issues with folder sorting.

Is there any way to actually sort by NAME?

Like this:

1 Folder

2 PDF

3 PDF

4 Folder

5 TEXT

Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me.

Thank you.

:)

MariaStjernholm, Jan 24, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

1. There is a partial solution within Windows explorer itself:

• right-click into the folder, group by Name
    • if you like, you can then select a sort by Name

This will give you intermixed folders and files, but will insert some separators that group by letters.

2. There is a trick - type * in the search field

Sort by name, not type in folder [​IMG]

This is not exactly equivalent to the normal explorer view.

3. Use a 3rd party file manager such as xplorer²

dalchina, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

Cool the group by name thing seems like it will work okay. Thanks.

bobsagetfullhou, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Sort by name, not type in folder

File Folder ahead in sort by ''Name''

Hello Luka,

There are a few reason why your folders are sorted by Name. For us to narrow it down, kindly answer the questions listed below:

• What do you mean by ahead?
    • Can you send a screenshot on where you're trying to sort your folders?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Sort by name, not type in folder

1. Sort by name, not type in folder - Similar Threads - Sort name type

2. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  3. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  4. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Sort Folders by Type or Category?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort Folders by Type or Category?: I use my PC for software like Autodesk Maya, Blender, Zbrush, all common 3D software with directories and such. All of these software have directories to store their data in Documents, but I have other folders there and would like to sort them all with a label or something to...
  6. Sort Folders by Type or Category?

Sort Folders by Type or Category?: I use my PC for software like Autodesk Maya, Blender, Zbrush, all common 3D software with directories and such. All of these software have directories to store their data in Documents, but I have other folders there and would like to sort them all with a label or something to...
  7. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  8. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  9. Folder cannot sort by name

10. Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?: Usually when I do this it will sort folders and shortcuts separately. Is there anyway to list them all alphabetically? 61706

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer sort by name folders and files together