Windows 10: "Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10

Discus and support "Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I noticed something with the latest Windows Update that I haven't noticed before that point: I seem to have some strange glitch that when "sorting by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichaelFrank6, Mar 17, 2019.

1. "Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10

I noticed something with the latest Windows Update that I haven't noticed before that point:

I seem to have some strange glitch that when "sorting by name" it does so for a seemingly random number of files, then starts a whole other grouping of alphabetically sorted files underneath.

For example, this is a listing of one folder I have when sorting by name in ascending order in Windows Explorer:

SGM Solo Vox.fst

SGM Whistle.fst

SGM Choir Aahs.fst

SGM Halo Pad.fst

SGM Space Voice.fst

SGM Synth Vox.fst

SGM Voice Oohs.fst

"Solo Vox" and "Whistle" are in the wrong place. It's like this with many other of my files, with varying amounts per "grouping" in the same folder.

Any ideas?

:)

MichaelFrank6, Mar 17, 2019
  2. Jose Est Win User

How to desegregate Folders/Files in File Explorer Sort By Functions?

Hi,

Sorting the layout of each folder is really dependent on the user's preference, that is why Windows has a variety of ways of sorting files and folders.

To sort files and folders alphanumerically together, we can try grouping it by name.

To do this, follow the steps below:

• On the folder that you want to sort, click View.
    • Look for Group by and left-click on it.
    • Select Name.

"Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10 d1b579c8-659a-4dff-8380-20a72d125af9.png

Let us know if you need anything else.

Jose Est, Mar 17, 2019
  3. Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

Cool the group by name thing seems like it will work okay. Thanks.

bobsagetfullhou, Mar 17, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

"Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10

Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

1. There is a partial solution within Windows explorer itself:

• right-click into the folder, group by Name
    • if you like, you can then select a sort by Name

This will give you intermixed folders and files, but will insert some separators that group by letters.

2. There is a trick - type * in the search field

"Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10 [​IMG]

This is not exactly equivalent to the normal explorer view.

3. Use a 3rd party file manager such as xplorer²

dalchina, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

"Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10

1. "Sort by name" only sorts random groupings of files in the same folder under Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sort name sorts

2. Possible in Explorer to sort files by date, but folders by name in same pane?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible in Explorer to sort files by date, but folders by name in same pane?: I believe this is not possible, and hasn't changed since Windows Vista or 7, but figured I'll ask and maybe learn something new in Windows 11. I know that I can sort files by date and folders appear above them by clicking on the "Date modified" column heading, then while...
  3. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  4. Sort folders by date in name

Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  5. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  7. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  8. Folder cannot sort by name

9. File Folder Sorting by date in name

File Folder Sorting by date in name: I have folders where the name starts with the date. IE: 04.14.21 Name, which is April 14, 2021. How do I sort these by Newest to Oldest date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-sorting-by-date-in-name/618a448c-717d-40bb-870b-a52badbddc56
  10. Sort by name, not type in folder

Sort by name, not type in folder: Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me. Thank you....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows how to sort randomly