Windows 10: Sort file explorer, by name, back to front

Discus and support Sort file explorer, by name, back to front in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there a way, to sort inside the file explorer, by name, right to left?EG:Input: Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444; Beta-1111Sort by name:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tyr Vanden Berghe, May 16, 2022.

1. Sort file explorer, by name, back to front

Is there a way, to sort inside the file explorer, by name, right to left?EG:Input: Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444; Beta-1111Sort by name: Alpha-3333; Beta-1111; Charlie-4444; Delta-2222Desired sorting: Beta-1111; Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444

:)

Tyr Vanden Berghe, May 16, 2022
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, May 16, 2022
  3. sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

Sort file explorer, by name, back to front ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, May 16, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Sort file explorer, by name, back to front

How to sort by file name?

Hi Walter,

There is a lot of files on a PC, and Windows system files will produce a lot of duplicates, which are required . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to whatever drive or folder you want to search

In the search box at the top right, enter *.* and hit Enter, that will bring up a list of every file - it may be a very long list, you can then sort by file name to find duplicates . . .

DaveM121, May 16, 2022
Thema:

Sort file explorer, by name, back to front

1. Sort file explorer, by name, back to front - Similar Threads - Sort file explorer

2. Is there a bug in Windows explorer's sort by name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a bug in Windows explorer's sort by name?: Hello,I am having issues with explorer's "sort by name" feature on windows 10 enterprise. I cannot provide a screenshot for company policy but the minimum setup is easy to recreate. If I create three files named, for example, 230e01 77ffc0 a0cd00, the one named 230e01 is...
  3. Is there a bug in Windows explorer's sort by name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a bug in Windows explorer's sort by name?: Hello,I am having issues with explorer's "sort by name" feature on windows 10 enterprise. I cannot provide a screenshot for company policy but the minimum setup is easy to recreate. If I create three files named, for example, 230e01 77ffc0 a0cd00, the one named 230e01 is...
  4. Is there a bug in Windows explorer's sort by name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error

windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error: windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sort-file-by-name-in-file-explorer/92df0e30-3c51-4aad-9cb4-100c4b2c2293
  6. windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error: windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sort-file-by-name-in-file-explorer/92df0e30-3c51-4aad-9cb4-100c4b2c2293
  7. windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Sort file explorer, by name, back to front

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort file explorer, by name, back to front: Is there a way, to sort inside the file explorer, by name, right to left?EG:Input: Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444; Beta-1111Sort by name: Alpha-3333; Beta-1111; Charlie-4444; Delta-2222Desired sorting: Beta-1111; Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444...
  9. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...