Windows 10: Sort files and folders together

Discus and support Sort files and folders together in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I would like to sort files and folders together (alphabetically for example). So after an extensive search, I found plenty of old threads dating from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aurélien F., Dec 5, 2019.

1. Sort files and folders together

I would like to sort files and folders together (alphabetically for example).

So after an extensive search, I found plenty of old threads dating from years ago about people trying to achieve the same stuff in Windows Explorer.

Examples:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-by-date/265495de-d4e7-426c-ab04-ea11542df52c

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...abetical/d49df2d7-816c-4a90-8f91-1c6dfcc57ef4

It seems it is not possible. I wonder why we can't have this wonderful opportunity to do what we want.

Since sorting by type is possible, I would assume that we could also NOT sort by type.

Why can't we just deactivate this segregation between folders and files for those of us who want to do so?

The "solution" of search for "*" is not a real solution. I'm asking for a feature to be able to change the default behavior of the Explorer.

Can we fiddle with the registry to change that behavior by default for example?

Thank you in advance,

Cheers

:)

Aurélien F., Dec 5, 2019

2. sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

Sort files and folders together ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Dec 16, 2019
  3. Jose Est Win User
    How to desegregate Folders/Files in File Explorer Sort By Functions?

Hi,

Sorting the layout of each folder is really dependent on the user's preference, that is why Windows has a variety of ways of sorting files and folders.

To sort files and folders alphanumerically together, we can try grouping it by name.

To do this, follow the steps below:

• On the folder that you want to sort, click View.
    • Look for Group by and left-click on it.
    • Select Name.

Sort files and folders together d1b579c8-659a-4dff-8380-20a72d125af9.png

Let us know if you need anything else.

Jose Est, Dec 16, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Sort files and folders together

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

Sort files and folders together

1. Sort files and folders together - Similar Threads - Sort files folders

2. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  3. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  4. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric

How to sort folders and files together by name alphabetical or other metric: I would like to sort files and folders together. I have a collection of movies ripped from my DVD collection and some are in folders with extra files like subtitles or extras and some are simply mkv files. I would like to sort them all alphabetically. IE: A.file...
  6. Sorting files and folders numerically

Sorting files and folders numerically: Hi, I want to sort the files and folders numerically on my Windows 10 OS. If i give the name '01.Abc' to a .doc and '02.Edf' to a folder then the folder is showing first and the doc as second in order. Please refer the screenshot. I want '01.Abc' shown first and '02.Edf'...
  7. Can files AND folders be sorted together by Date Created?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can files AND folders be sorted together by Date Created?: https://www.loom.com/share/054ec4604988411896c7a0559bc2f3ca video to help illustrate my question. I asked this I think here also before, on why it was like that, a user said it is just really like that (folders are separated). I want to know though if there's something I...
  8. How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get File Explorer to sort folders and files together?: Currently I can only get all folders sorted and then all files sorted. I'd like to get them to sort together. Specifically this is for my Movies drive, which has thousands of films... most are in folders, but some are just files. I searched here and elsewhere, but did not...
  9. Sort files in selected folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort files in selected folders: Hi, i sort files by opening the folder then right click sort by name(descending) is there a way when i select several folders to sort the files in each folder by name(descending) in one click? 81188
  10. Sort Files in folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort Files in folders: Win 10 won't let me move photo files in a folder. Help please*Mad 51885

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 sort mixed files folders

2. windows explorer sort by name folders and files together

3. how do i sort files and folders together in windows 10

4. sort folders and files together