Windows 10: Sort files in selected folders

Discus and support Sort files in selected folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, i sort files by opening the folder then right click sort by name(descending) is there a way when i select several folders to sort the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by k1dr0ck, Apr 6, 2017.

1. k1dr0ck Win User

Sort files in selected folders

Hi,

i sort files by opening the folder then right click sort by name(descending)

is there a way when i select several folders
    to sort the files in each folder by name(descending) in one click?

:)

k1dr0ck, Apr 6, 2017
  2. gvm7777 Win User

sort folders and files in explorer

this procedure sorts files by type and then by date within type. I believe I remember correctly that with Win 7, I could have the folders shown at the top (ie first), then everything else (regardless of type) shown beneath the folders in date order. That
    is what I would like to replicate .... Greg

gvm7777, Apr 6, 2017
  3. gvm7777 Win User
    sort folders and files in explorer

I've read posts that relate to this but not exactly what I want to do.

How do I sort the folders and files so that folders appear at the top sorted alphabetically, then files sorted by latest first? It used to be easy but with Windows 10 I can't work it out! TIA .... Greg

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

gvm7777, Apr 6, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

Windows Explorer sorting only effects how the files are displayed and does not change the contents of the folder in any way. How files are stored in a folder is fixed by the NTFS file system and cannot be changed.

LMiller7, Apr 6, 2017
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi k1dr0ck and welcome to the forum.
    Just to add to LMiller7's response, the sort order, icon preferences, and display fields for each folder must be set individually. I'm not aware of any way to change them in groups.
    Bob

SoFine409, Apr 6, 2017
  6. k1dr0ck Win User
    i see *Sad

thanks for the reply

k1dr0ck, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sort files in selected folders - Similar Threads - Sort files selected

2. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  3. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  4. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Sort files in selected folders?

Sort files in selected folders?: Hi,I'd like to be able to sort files in highlighted folders so not globally rather than have to go into each folder separately and sort them?Is this possible with windows 10 or is there an App for this ?Example 1 Movie folderFOLDERS sorted by NAMEFILES in folders sorted by...
  6. Sorting files within folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting files within folders: Hi, how to permanently add an option to be able to sort "by type" and also "by dimension" inside all folders? submitted by /u/DarkGladir [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mq6hhf/sorting_files_within_folders/
  7. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  8. Sorting files and folders numerically

Sorting files and folders numerically: Hi, I want to sort the files and folders numerically on my Windows 10 OS. If i give the name '01.Abc' to a .doc and '02.Edf' to a folder then the folder is showing first and the doc as second in order. Please refer the screenshot. I want '01.Abc' shown first and '02.Edf'...
  9. Sort files and folders together

Sort files and folders together: I would like to sort files and folders together (alphabetically for example). So after an extensive search, I found plenty of old threads dating from years ago about people trying to achieve the same stuff in Windows Explorer. Examples:...
  10. Sort Files in folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort Files in folders: Win 10 won't let me move photo files in a folder. Help please*Mad 51885