Windows 10: Sort order of drives / network folders in This PC

Discus and support Sort order of drives / network folders in This PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, Having recently moved over from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I have just about got everything sorted the way I like. I have not, however,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DaveM, May 31, 2019.

1. DaveM Win User

Sort order of drives / network folders in This PC

Hi there,

Having recently moved over from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I have just about got everything sorted the way I like. I have not, however, managed to get the sort order of the drives in This PC sorted as I would like. I realise that this is not the biggest issue anyone will have faced but it annoys me none-the-less!

I have the following in This PC:
    C: drive, 4 network drives (V:, W:, X: and YSort order of drives / network folders in This PC :) and 2 network folders (called "David" and "Links). I would like them to display in this order i.e. local drive first, then network drives, then network folders as they did in Windows 7 but nothing I have tried can achieve this. Either I get the File folders first, or the network drives first - the local disk is always in the middle. I have tried re-naming the drives with 1, 2, 3 etc at the start of the name but the sort seems to just ignore this. The reason for wanting the order to change is so that things are in my preferred order on the toolbar I have on my taskbar.

Apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't find anything about this having Googled the problem several times) or if I'm being really stupid!

Thanks,

Dave

:)

DaveM, May 31, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Hello Denis, Sort order of drives / network folders in This PC :)

The command in step 2 of Option Two should show your wireless networks listed in priority order. Top of the list is higher.

Brink, May 31, 2019
  3. Favourites Folders -alphabetical sorting within each Folder

Hi Neil,

Let me provide you now the steps on how to to sort your folders in alphabetical order.

This method will allow you to arrange your favorites by alphabetical or by their numbers.

Here are the steps:

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click on Favorites.
    • Right-click on Favorites Bar.
    • Right-click on the Favorites folder.
    • Click on Sort by, then select Name and
      Ascending

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, May 31, 2019
  4. Ron Carr Win User

File Explorer: How to change Drive names/Sort order?

This does not relate to my question. I was specifically referring to File Explorer and the way the drives are listed.

They are listed by the disk volume label first, then the drive letter. If the drive letter were first, it would sort the way I want.

So, how to change that order?

Ron Carr, May 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Sort order of drives / network folders in This PC - Similar Threads - Sort order drives

2. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  3. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  4. Change the alphabetical order for sorting folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the alphabetical order for sorting folders: Hi y'allIs it possible to change the alphabetical order a folder is sorted?Currently it sorts like:ABCD etc.What I need is a way to change the order like:DABC etc. If it isn't possible natively, could it be done by a custom desktop.ini file? Or would I need another file...
  5. Change the alphabetical order for sorting folders

Change the alphabetical order for sorting folders: Hi y'allIs it possible to change the alphabetical order a folder is sorted?Currently it sorts like:ABCD etc.What I need is a way to change the order like:DABC etc. If it isn't possible natively, could it be done by a custom desktop.ini file? Or would I need another file...
  6. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  7. file/folder sort order

file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  8. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Default sort order for specific folder?

Default sort order for specific folder?: Every time I open OneDrive from the system tray and go to my Camera Uploads folder in Windows Explorer, it is displayed in order of name. That is how I want to view most folders in Explorer, but for this folder I would like it to sort by date desc by default. Is that possible...
  10. downloads folder sort order won't change

downloads folder sort order won't change: Hi everyone, I just took the latest Windows 10 update on Tuesday, and suddenly my downloads folder isn't sorted the way I want. It appears the default is to sort by name in ascending order, and it looks like that's how it's selected to display, however it's still sorting...