Windows 10: Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

Discus and support Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When selecting Onedrive local storage to sort by date modified, it seems Windows take in to consideration only the immediate layer. 0th layer I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mahesh Uddama, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

When selecting Onedrive local storage to sort by date modified,

it seems Windows take in to consideration only the immediate layer. 0th layer I guess.

how to trigger parent folder modified date when the modification happens higher levels where layer is greater than 0.

Given that path not exceeding MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters.

this is the same situation in web view of Onedrive. Probably these are 2 different questions. but I prefer at least to have this view on Windows explorer.

:)

Mahesh Uddama, Jul 23, 2020

2. Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

When selecting Onedrive local storage to sort by date modified,

it seems Windows take in to consideration only the immediate layer. 0th layer I guess.

how to trigger parent folder modified date when the modification happens higher levels where layer is greater than 0.

Given that path not exceeding MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters.

this is the same situation in web view of Onedrive. Probably these are 2 different questions. but I prefer at least to have this view on Windows explorer.

Mahesh Uddama, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Sort by 'Date Modified' but keep folders at the top?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after recent update when you sort the files by Date Modified, the folders are listed at the bottom. We would like to know which update was installed on the computer, to check go to
    Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.

However, you can go ahead and try the following steps and see if that helps in listing the folders at top:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the location where your files are stored.
    2. Sort files by Date Modified (Recent files first).
    3. Hold Shift key and click on the
      Name
      column. This will bring folders at the top with files sorted with Date Modified.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 4, 2020
  4. GKC468 Win User

Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

Folder Incorrect Date Modified Information

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a laptop with windows 10 preinstalled on it. After copying files and folders from my old laptop and working on one of the files, I found an issue with date modified information (seems to be observed by others too). The file date
    modified is updated properly but the sub-folders and higher level parent folders still show the old date without updating this information. It basically takes out the purpose of sorting using date modified at folder level if this information is incorrect.
    I have contacted Microsoft support 4 times already with steps ranging from sfcscan to reinstalling windows 10 (upgrade PC with windows 10) and nothing worked. And each time they suggest me to buy their paid support which is not what I would expect from an
    issue with a new laptop. Can anyone who had similar issue and found a solution help me with this? I never had such problems with Windows 7 but I am not liking Windows 10 so far.

Thanks,

Gopi

GKC468, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

1. Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order - Similar Threads - Sort parent folders

2. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting folders by date modified: Hello everyoneI moved a folder that has a lot of folders and files from one hard disk to another, the thing is I like my data to be sorted by date modified which I did, however, the folders aren't sorted by date modified for some reason even though the files "videos" are...
  3. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting folders by date modified: Hello everyoneI moved a folder that has a lot of folders and files from one hard disk to another, the thing is I like my data to be sorted by date modified which I did, however, the folders aren't sorted by date modified for some reason even though the files "videos" are...
  4. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Folders sorted by Date Modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders sorted by Date Modified: I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. All of my work related folders are sorted based on Date Modified because I need to know which folders were recently accessed to had changes made to them. Everything is fine until I reset the laptop. Once the machine is back and running,...
  6. Folders sorted by Date Modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders sorted by Date Modified: I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. All of my work related folders are sorted based on Date Modified because I need to know which folders were recently accessed to had changes made to them. Everything is fine until I reset the laptop. Once the machine is back and running,...
  7. when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?: when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?i found that if the Child documents have been modified, the parent folder will also change "modified date".but why?can you give me some document to support my assumption?...
  8. when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?: when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?i found that if the Child documents have been modified, the parent folder will also change "modified date".but why?can you give me some document to support my assumption?...
  9. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  10. folder sorting by date modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder sorting by date modified: might seem stupid but i just got a new laptop and ran into this problem when trying to set up. one of the things i need is to sort files in the 'downloads' folder by date modified, so i can find the ones most recently downloaded at the top. However, i found this was not the...